Dude!

I.R. Geonut

How can anyone Geocache in this? I've been trying to find a benchmark tonight and I freeze. I came home for a "gingerale" (looks for his halo) and then I'm going to head back out. I wish I could take one of you nuts with me for conversation, it would help keep my mind off the cold. :blink: I need more geocaching friends.

It's not too bad in my parts tonight. I think we hit 55 F or so today. I grabbed a cache while at work today when I figured out it was .1 of a mile from our front door. Took a couple of coworkers and I think they will be geoconverts afer todays experience. In fact, one of them has asked to go out with me tomorrow. Weather will be okay, but we are supposed to have high only in the 30's this next week.

I just got back from a business trip to Minneapolis. Talk about cold. Those "chicken littles" cawing about "global warming" should be required to go caching in Minneapolis in December.

I found the experience quite wonderful though. It was snowing heavily and I was there without a rental car so I had to walk to the caches in the winter wonderland. Trick is to bring the proper clothing. Layers on layers and top it off with one of those high-tech fiber-filled coats with velcro sleeve closures. Wool hat and you're on your way.

Had to wipe snow off the face of the GPS constantly, and the switches tend to get clogged with ice. When it got too cold on my face I just ducked into a thrift store and did some swag shopping until my face thawed.

I'll take this cold weather over battling ticks and chiggers and PI any day.

I just got back from a business trip to Minneapolis. Talk about cold. Those "chicken littles" cawing about "global warming" should be required to go caching in Minneapolis in December.

:ph34r:

I remember from having lived in that area when I was very young that my parents used to keep extra frozen food on a shelf in the garage. And every day when they got home, the slush used to fall off of the car and freeze solid to the garage floor. And the car had a little plug that stuck out of the front that you'd have to plug in to the wall, otherwise the engine would be too cold to start. :blink:

Last time I was there was in January, although we didn't leave the airport. The high was 13 degrees and they were talking about the warm spell!

Even with the cold, though, winter is definitely my favorite caching season... fewer bugs, fewer snakes, fewer people... and the bare trees don't play havoc on GPS signal as much as the summertime canopy does.

How can anyone Geocache in this?

I found four this morning! It was in the mid-20s with a brisk wind. You dress for it, that's what I do. And I'm not very much south of your latitude! Warm, windproof coat with hood, insulated stocking cap, gloves. I haven't broken out the thermals yet, but if I was going to spend the day outside, I sure would have!

I'm with the others - I like caching in the winter. . . . unless the snow gets too deep!

Hey kiddos, I LIVE here in Minnesota. This is not yet cold.

Besides, you could be in Fargo, ND. Now that's a cold state...

I attended college in Bozeman, MT and Fargo, ND and was born/raised and am currently living in St. Paul, MN. (Note avatar.) I guess I'm built for the weather.

Edited by HugoBear

I'm from MN and I find Geocaching the only reason to go out in this awful cold weather, tommorrow's high to be like 13. I have mittens (two sets in the bag), neck gaiter, heated socks, scarf, ear wraps, and hand warmers along with two shirts, combat boots and a military field jacket. That generally keeps me all toasty. Along with trips to the truck to warm up if close enough and needed.

Cold not only keeps away the muggles but the snow can help in the hunt. follow the tracks boys. Unless you get evil one like me that walk around aimlessly after the find to put out confusing sets of tracks so not to ruin for the next cacher.

Edited by CamoCacher
How can anyone Geocache in this? I've been trying to find a benchmark tonight and I freeze. I came home for a "gingerale" (looks for his halo) and then I'm going to head back out....

First, gingerale is definitely the wrong beverage. :blink:

It's 21 with light snow here, tonight; I'm heading out early tomorrow morning to log a cache that has been missing and replaced. I'll walk from my home (about 4 miles round trip).

As already mentioned, weather is not a problem if you're dressed for it. I just wish these parts saw more snow. There's nothing as beautiful and serene as hiking in the woods after a 10" snow, with a -40 wind chill to keep the riff-raff away.

And cold weather camping (if you're prepared) can be delightful. :lol::ph34r:

THIS is why I do so little caching in the winter:

-26 °F / -32 °C

Partly Cloudy

Tonight

Mainly clear. Lows 20 below to 35 below. Northeast winds to 10 mph.

Sunday

Partly cloudy. Highs 10 below to 15 below. East winds around 5 mph.

Sunday Night

Increasing clouds. Lows 15 to 25 below. East winds to 10 mph.

Edited by 1stimestar

12 degrees outside, and 6 inches of new snow on the ground this morning...

I got a FTF last winter when it was 27 degrees below...no windchill, just straight-up cold... :ph34r:

One time xc-skiing a couple of winters ago, it was more than 20 degrees below and after a gust of wind, both lenses popped out of my glasses...my assumption is that the windchill of the gust cooled my metal frames enough faster than the glass lenses so that the frames contracted enough to pop out the frames...that's cold!

Like others have said, layering is the key...that and going out with skinny people, when they freeze, you can take their warm stuff :D

jamie

Edited by NFA

Yesterday it was 30 at 6am on the way to the deer stand. Today it was 50. High yesterday was 50ish, today I broke a sweat to the stand for the afternoon hunt.

Shoulda went caching instead.

Should be back to 30/50 tomorrow. Crazy weather we have here in Arkansas. The only time that it is predictable is in the summer. Hot and miserable.

Looks like I better be prepared for a blustery and cold day when I do a cache maintenance hike for this cache.

It will probably be around 10° when I start. Anybody want to go along for a nice

long walk.

Tuesday

Mostly cloudy with a chance for a bit of snow or flurries in the afternoon

High Temperature: 28° F

RealFeel®: 12° F

Winds: ENE at 13 mph

Wind Gusts: 26 mph

My hubby & I were discussing how people cache in the upper latitudes... he couldn't fathom that anyone would do that... I told him he needed to spend some time reading the forums! LOL!

Anyway... as for the snow factor... does that make it significantly harder to get to the cache? Do you usu. haul a shovel along?

Happy Cachin'... through the snow...

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

My hubby & I were discussing how people cache in the upper latitudes... he couldn't fathom that anyone would do that... I told him he needed to spend some time reading the forums! LOL!

Anyway... as for the snow factor... does that make it significantly harder to get to the cache? Do you usu. haul a shovel along?

Happy Cachin'... through the snow...

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

i and my usual cohorts learned in snow. sometimes the snow makes things easier, sometimes not.

travel is usually slower, but sometimes snow speeds things up where the glide of snowshoes or buttsliding becomes useful.

you have to learn how snow covers the landscape, but you can get some good reads.

you have to carry more gear; yes, a shovel and an icepick come in handy. a folding shovel that fits in your pack will do. you also have to bring spare gloves, socks, hats. handwarmers, emergency blankets. you have to cache under the assumption that you MIGHT have to spend the night out there.

i've never had to, but i've come close. having firestarter and an emergency blanket made my outlook sunnier.

and sometimes if you haul a sled up you get a heck of a ride down.

woo-hoo!

My experience caching in snow is that the little metal cover that protects the bolts securing the lamp-post to the ground is usually frozen in place and has to be struck several times with a gloved hand in order to free it. Once free it is vital not to use your tongue to hold it up out of the way while you search for the altoids tin hidden underneath.

Ten degrees F at the moment, and it looks like that's going to be the warmest we'll see for the next few days so I'm staying inside. A couple of decades ago I would have considered this to be excellent hiking and even tent-camping weather; the woods are so hushed and solitary in the cold and snow. But the blood doesn't get to the feet so well now, so I'll be content for today to stretch out with another big, steaming bowl of goulash and watch the Portland-UCLA Women's College Cup.

Speaking of this freezing weather, should I remove the disposable cameras from my caches? I cant help but wonder if the few pics that have been taken will be ok. Anyone know? :anitongue:

There was a thread about this a bit ago, and it seems from other cachers experiance in extremely low temps, that it is ok to leave cameras in caches. The film does not seem to be affected. :laughing:

Here in Maryland it is not to cold yet. Now, I have worked outside for the last 4 winters. I am very good at dressing in layers. If the temperature is above 0 degrees I have no problems at all being outside for long periods of time. Here in Maryland, the temperature dose not get below 0 degrees very often. Therefore, if there is a cache I want to find the cold is rarely a problem for me. However, most of the people I cache with cannot handle the cold as well, so we don’t hunt any caches that require long hikes in the cold.