Change Satellites?

japer

I took my Garmin Emap with me to Ireland and France mainly for a navigational aid.

I noticed that all the satellites it could 'see' were at the extreme horizon (to the west, in the direction of the USA).

That made me wonder - do GPSr units only see a subset of satellites? Can one get another 'prom' (or something) when traveling to other parts of the world?

Thanks,

TomT

The satelites orbit the whole earth. So the satelites above you are the same ones you see later in their orbit.

The problem stems from the fact that the GPS "remembers" where you were when you turned it off and is trying to locate the satelites according to how far away it thinks they should be. You are now on the other side of the world.

Two ways to correct this. One slow way is to just turn the GPS on an let it aquire. This could take a very long time. (hours)

The other way is to tell the GPS you are in a different area. On the Garmin GPS units you can do this from the satelite page.