Limited Edition Lighthouse Series

JMBella

*This is not the pre-order thread.*

These coins will be available for pre-order this afternoon, Friday Dec. 2 at 4:00PM PST on EBAY. Title of listing: Limited Edition Lighthouse Series Geocoins. They will be listed as a Dutch, "Buy It Now" auction. This is being done for inventory control so we don't sell more coins than we are having minted.

Only 400 of these coins will ever be minted. 100 gold and 300 bronze. The front features a 3D rendering of the Montauk Point Lighthouse in Long Island, New York. The back features the Atlantic Geocachers Association Logo. (AtlanticGeocachers.com)

They will be trackable on geocaching.com and have their own icon!

Prices are:

Gold $10.00 - Limit 2 per buyer (93 available)

Bonze $8.50 - Limit 3 per buyer (292 available)

Here is a rendering which is subject to minor changes.

Front:

2c_1.JPG

Back:

06_1.JPG

Edited by JMBella

I also wanted to add that I think this is a good idea for selling coins and keeping control. My question is (since I do not and have never bought a dutch auction) will both coins be for sale on the same auction? Or will there be two different auctions seeing there are two different metals?

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys
I also wanted to add that I think this is a good idea for selling coins and keeping control. My question is (since I do not and have never bought a dutch auction) will both coins be for sale on the same auction? Or will there be two different auctions seeing there are two different metals?

2 different auctions.

Only 400 of these coins will ever be minted. 100 gold and 300 bronze.

Looks very nice, I hope we can keep our eyes open... :huh:

One question: With only 400 coins getting minted we are surprised that they will have their own icon. Did Groundspeak lower the amount of coins you have to produce before you can purchase your own icon (thought it would be 1.000+ coins)? Hey, that would mean a lot of new icons in the near future! B)

Cheers, Heidi

One question: With only 400 coins getting minted we are surprised that they will have their own icon. Did Groundspeak lower the amount of coins you have to produce before you can purchase your own icon (thought it would be 1.000+ coins)? Hey, that would mean a lot of new icons in the near future! B)

Cheers, Heidi

Lighthouse Series =More will come! B)

Cheers, Heidi

Lighthouse Series =More will come! B)

Exactly. We have to buy at least 1000 numbers and the icon up front which means with this first set of coins we'll be lucky to break out even but probably won't.

I've never done a Dutch "Buy it Now" auction... does eBay give you the flexibility to restrict people to 2 coins and 3 coins, or are you using some other mechanism for that?

I don't see anyway to automatically restrict people from purchasing more that 2 or 3 coins. Mainly this is on the honor system. If that fails, anyone who purchases more than the allowed amount will have their entire purchase refunded which would probably result in them not getting ANY coins.

I've never done a Dutch "Buy it Now" auction... does eBay give you the flexibility to restrict people to 2 coins and 3 coins, or are you using some other mechanism for that?

I don't see anyway to automatically restrict people from purchasing more that 2 or 3 coins. Mainly this is on the honor system. If that fails, anyone who purchases more than the allowed amount will have their entire purchase refunded which would probably result in them not getting ANY coins.

Can you do that with Ebay?

I wish. It's OK. I trust you all. :P

Just got an email from someone in Germany asking a question I don't know the answer to. I'm hoping someone here can help out. If you place an item on ebay, I'm assuming people in Germany or other countries can buy it too, right?

Only if you set up the auction that way. You need to list the you will ship outside of the us. If you say US only people with a address outside of the us will not be able to bid.

Richard

Just got an email from someone in Germany asking a question I don't know the answer to.  I'm hoping someone here can help out. If you place an item on ebay, I'm assuming people in Germany or other countries can buy it too, right?

Only if you set up the auction that way. You need to list the you will ship outside of the us. If you say US only people with a address outside of the us will not be able to bid.

Richard

Got it. It is already st up that way. Thanks.

GeoCrickets  Posted on Dec 2 2005, 11:53 AM

QUOTE (JMBella @ Dec 2 2005, 12:33 PM)

Just got an email from someone in Germany asking a question I don't know the answer to. I'm hoping someone here can help out. If you place an item on ebay, I'm assuming people in Germany or other countries can buy it too, right?

And sad enough you are blocked even if you would be able to give a shipping address in the US. Ebay is using the profile data. :P

Hope you did't make it up that way :P

Cheers,

Albatross1901

So there will be 2 auctions listed. If I buy on both auctions, do you charge double shipping costs?

If it's not set up as "immediate payment required you can "commit to buy" however many you want and after they are sold the lister can send invoices with combined shipping (or the lister can have it set up that one coins is x shipping and each additional item is y more to allow for people to checout without an invoice).

I know to use the "Immediate payment required" option assures each sale is complete and inventory accurate but it also may rip some people off on shipping if they buy in both auctions.

You can refund the money if you want to go through the hassle of requesting Ebay refund the fees as a mutual aggreement between parties to cancel the transaction but if the partry buying doesn't agree it was mutual it could get ugly.

I guess we just have to hope people read and do the proper thing.

So there will be 2 auctions listed. If I buy on both auctions, do you charge double shipping costs?

Can we please get this question answered? Not that it is going to affect me buying the coins :P .

I really think that we are going to see the direction of coins going in this direction if it works. There have been way to many SNAFU's up to this point with inventory control. I personally like this idea and I would think it would be easier. It would take a lot of printing since you have the ability to print shipping labels if the person buying uses Paypal. Hopefully Ebay holds up better that Paypal did :P:D:) !

You can refund the money if you want to go through the hassle of requesting Ebay refund the fees as a mutual aggreement between parties to cancel the transaction but if the partry buying doesn't agree it was mutual it could get ugly.

I guess we just have to hope people read and do the proper thing.

If they are going to restrict how many can be purchased then they need to list that in the "auction". Otherwise there would be no violation to the "bidder" and therefore no reason to refund the money. The unfortunate thing with Ebay you really need to spell everything out to cover your butt.

Can we please get this question answered? Not that it is going to affect me buying the coins :P .

I really think that we are going to see the direction of coins going in this direction if it works. There have been way to many SNAFU's up to this point with inventory control. I personally like this idea and I would think it would be easier. It would take a lot of printing since you have the ability to print shipping labels if the person buying uses Paypal. Hopefully Ebay holds up better that Paypal did :P:D:) !

This is why I posted this several hours before the coins actually going on sale so we could work out some possible kinks. I appreciate everyone's input and it will hopefully help in future coin sales for everyone. Listing the coins in this way on ebay seems like a logical solution to many SNAFUs. I'll try and work out an easy solution for shipping fees on multiple orders. Not sure if there's an automated way of doing it.

I've got 3 hours to figure it out.

Edited by JMBella
@ Team Maddie UK

6 EST is Midnight in UK and 1 a.m. in Continental Europe isn't it?

No.

SlytherinAlex is right: 6 pm EST is not 1 am CET. But the auctions are starting at 7 EST and this is 12 GMT and 1 am CET ... Hope we have cleard all these timeshift problems :P

This is why I posted this several hours before the coins actually going on sale so we could work out some possible kinks. I appreciate everyone's input and it will hopefully help in future coin sales for everyone. Listing the coins in this way on ebay seems like a logical solution to many SNAFUs. I'll try and work out an easy solution for shipping fees on multiple orders. Not sure if there's an automated way of doing it.

I've got 3 hours to figure it out.

Bella, if you contact me on yahoo messenger with the same name as my geocaching name I can help you get some of the shipping issues answered I think. Outdoorman and I had a coin store on Ebay for a while (not geocoins but US mint coins).

Edited by outdoorlady79
Well I also can't wait to see how this works out. I may do this with the LE Kansas because I think it would be so much easier for me to handle it.

Ugh, I hope you don't. The fees alone are going to make coins too pricey... extra 60 cents minimum in the price per coin is for ebay and that's if no special features are used like gallery, bold, etc.