Time Between Joining And Finding First Cache

GPSOkie

How long after joining Geocaching.com did you make your first find? I'm curious what the longest time is between joining and finding.

I joined 06/10/01 and found my first cache 11/23/05. 4 years, 5 months and 13 days :unsure:

No, I wasn't out looking that long, I just didn't start looking until the day of my first find. My primary hobby was metal detecting and I never got around to getting into the hobby of geocaching. Now I'm in the hobby and hooked :lol:

Edited by GPSOkie

Found website, thought it to be a scam. Found first cache, without GPS, came home printed second cache sheet, found second cache, without GPS. Came home, joined site, logged finds. Buddy with me that night went out the next day to find his third, a regular in a good sized park, without success. Got frustrated, bought GPS at Wally World, returned to park, found cache. Used his GPSr only for 3 months till I got mine for Xmas from wife. The rest is history.

Joined May 29, 2004...found my first cache June 10, 2004.

Funny, I bought a GPSr (Vista) for flying a PPG and on reading on the web about it,

someone mentioned "geocaching" I wondered what it was and further researched it. I haven't been the same since.

Unfortunately, :unsure: I had to sell the PPG because of medical reasons, after wanting to fly an ultralight for about 50 years. Now, I'm earthbound, but I did get to fly some, about 50 hours.....

I have since introduced geocaching to my whole family, 3-4 people at work,

a couple of people I have met in parks, etc....

Wow, I thought I waited a long time! Joined January 10, 2003, first find on October 2, 2005.

Funny, I bought a GPSr (Vista) for flying a PPG and on reading on the web about it,

someone mentioned "geocaching" I wondered what it was and further researched it. I haven't been the same since.

Unfortunately, I had to sell the PPG because of medical reasons, after wanting to fly an ultralight for about 50 years. Now, I'm earthbound, but I did get to fly some, about 50 hours.....

Sorry to hear that, just started flying ultralights myself - very addicting (and cold!) Any chance of flying again at all?

Unfortunately, I had to sell the PPG because of medical reasons, after wanting to fly an ultralight for about 50 years. Now, I'm earthbound, but I did get to fly some, about 50 hours.....

Sorry to hear that, just started flying ultralights myself - very addicting (and cold!) Any chance of flying again at all?

No, I don't think so... At age 59, I was diagnosed with a form of MS.

It not only affects my feet, but my balance as well.

Dr. said, get rid of the PPG and get a boat... But, it sure is fun to look down between your knees from 2,800 feet ! :lol::unsure:

First find was Oct. 23, 03

got account Oct. 24, 03

so -1 day

I wonder who found their first cache the longest amount of time before signing up for an account?

I got my GPS on the Oct. 23, 03 and geocaching would be something to do for a couple week until I learned to use my GPS. Thank God for geocaching or my GPS would have only been used about 3 times by now. :unsure:

I joined the site on Monday, December 15, 2003 and my wife and I hunted down our first cache the following weekend on December 21, 2003. I remember that first find really well, it was like being part of an international spy ring or something.

We may not rack up big numbers, but it is fair to say we were hooked from the get go.

Joined 5th may 2003 but wa aware of site before just never needed a log in until we found a cache !

1st cache 5th may 2003

2nd 26th July 2003

3rd cache found 14th march 2004

1st and second found without a GPS

Bought GPS after saving up.

Never looked back since

Also never logged a virtual or locationless but thats a different thread :huh:

As for the longest time between signup and first find, I think GPSOkie's record will be hard to beat!

As for me:

June 2, 2002: Registered. Twice, actually, because I mis-spelled it "Leprachauns" the first time. But that worked out well, as once I became familiar with the site features, I edited that other profile to make it a useful sock puppet. Ummm, for a time. Which has now ended. Really!

June 7, 2002: First find, without a GPS. 1.5 hours to find a tupperware container 30 feet away from a parking lot at the nature center down at the end of our development.

June 15, 2002: First finds, and first DNF, with our new GPS.

The first finds would have come earlier, but I needed to wait until having custody of my daughter so she could share the fun with me!

I joined on December 11, 2004. Lurked in the Forums a lot, then started posting in the Forums. :huh:

Finally I built up the confidence to go on my first hunt.

Found my first cache Januay 17, 2005.

I'm hoping to find my 1000th cache on, or before, my December 11 anniversary. B)

Addiction . . . What Addiction! B)

I joined on December 11, 2004. Lurked in the Forums a lot, then started posting in the Forums. B)

Finally I built up the confidence to go on my first hunt.

Found my first cache Januay 17, 2005.

I'm hoping to find my 1000th cache on, or before, my December 11 anniversary. :huh:

Addiction . . . What Addiction! B)

1 year, homing in on 1000!

I've been kicking around 4 years and have only got 58. LOL! B)

Found first cache: June 21, 2003

Joined site: June 23, 2003

So, -2 days. :huh:

Same here (-2 days).

First find, April 23, 2003.

Joined, April 25, 2003.

I wonder who found their first cache the longest amount of time before signing up for an account?

I have a friend who occasionally caches with me (beginning with my first find in 2003) and has never joined the site, even though he owns a GPSr. He has signed logs and if he joined the site today, his stat would be something like minus 2 ½ years!

I first heard about Geocaching from a neighbor at a block breakfast. The other neighbors seemed to think it sounded dorky but I went home and made an account immediately so I could check out the forums and see what it was all about. That was on July 30, 2005.

After reading the forums for a few days I downloaded GSAK, Plucker, and GPX Spinner and checked them out both on my computer and in the forums and also started looking into what GPSr I wanted to buy.

I finally settled on a GPSMAP 76CS and ordered one. It arrived on August 8th and within an hour of its arrival I had found my first cache - a nice ammo can in a hollow tree.

Account created: July, 30, 2005

First cache find: August 8th, 2005

Now it's not quite 4 months later and I'm at 212 finds with 20 FTF. I think I'm hooked.........

Assisted in a find in early November, 2003 - joined a couple days later.

Obtained our own GPSr for Christmas, 2003.

First attempt at geocaching in February, 2004 - it ended up being an extensive multi-cache. We found all the intermediate points and drove to the location for the final cache and log - and after several minutes searching in the snow gave up. We never logged the DNF for that one so I don't remember the exact date.

Second attempt in August, 2004 - we parked in the wrong place and pretty soon I realized it would be near the bottom of a steep hill we were at the top of - we gave up and went to lunch instead.

A couple hours later we went back and parked at the correct spot and found our first geocache - nearly a full year after joining the site.

Brother-in-law called with new "idea"... My troubles always start this way

Found GC.com on 1 Nov 04.

Found first cache (no GPSr) on 1 Nov 04.

Actually signed the log for the cache on 28 Nov 04.

Joined GC.com 11 Nov 04.

Got GPSr 25 Dec 04.

Logged 1st cache 26 Dec 04 (thought I would get in trouble for not having a GPS)

but backdated to 28 Nov 04

so... -10 days or + 17 days or +45 days?

so many caches ago - still have that giddy, treasure hunting feeling when I go though!

Edited by Jhwk

someone mentioned "geocaching" I wondered what it was and further researched  it. I haven't been the same since.

Unfortunately,  :blink:  I had to sell the PPG because of medical reasons, after wanting to fly an ultralight for about 50 years.  Now, I'm earthbound, but I did get to fly some, about 50 hours.....

Bummer, that. I can sympathize, unfortunately. I bought my first GPS in for flying purposes, as well. I was diagnosed with MS in 1999 after obtaining my com/inst rating and CFI in 1995 and had to quit flying, too. No biggie as I look at it from the point of view that I got to log almost 1500 hours, but I still miss it on ocassion.

About 3 days. It took me that long to find one. I spent way too much time trying to find the first one I went after, which was a bit too advanced for a n00b.

After I found my first (which was the second one I attempted), I went back and found that one that had eluded me.

Sadly both are now archived.

Well, let's see . . . I joined gc.com exactly 3 yrs ago, to the day . . . today. :lol: 12/2/2002. But wasn't much interested. Found my first cache 12/28/04 -- almost a year ago . . . but still wasn't much interested . . . until . . . I got my own gps and suddenly I didn't have to compete :ph34r: for the magic machine! That was last spring and I haven't looked back. :blink:

24Aug01 First DNF

???(few weeks later) second DNF. I don't recall the exact date, and when the cache was later confirmed missing, move and replaced, the owner deleted all the DNF logs. So it looks like there was just a 6month period in which nothing happened...

02Sept01 offically join gc.com

21Octo01 find first cache (which is good, after two DNF I'd started to wonder if this was some big mind game trying to see how many people would claim finds on imaginary 'geo-cache' things :D )

so it was about 49days join to find

Signed up: April 10, 2004

First two finds: April 10, 2004

Third find: April 11, 2004

Had a great first year, but this year a lot less due to the high gas prices and the distance to the nearest caches we are able to do. Have a total of 113 finds and placed 1 cache of our own. Enjoy the sport a great deal and hope to continue for several years.