I Have An Idea For A Cache

BrianAndAmanda

I have this idea for a cache that I want to bounce off of some people. The way the cache would work is cachers would go to the coordinate where they would find a large container (probably a 5gallon bucket) inside would be the actual cache contained with a combination lock on it. They would then receive the coordinate to three micro caches each with one of the numbers to the combination lock. After they find the combination they would have to go back to the cache and unlock it. How do you like the idea??? Also what type of cache would this be classified as a multi or a mystery? I’m just so tired of the micros in the area thought I would put out something that I would like to find :unsure: I would appreciate any comments or ideas you might have.

-brianandamanda

That would be fine as long as I knew going into it that I would have to go through all of that. I'd be a little perturbed if I went out not knowing and found the cache with a lock on it with the directions.

LOL.. yea i would be mad too... i would of course list that in the decription.. im sure that it would have to be listed as a multi or mystery so there should be no problem with people not knowing

It's a multi-cache.

A mystery cache is one in which the published coordinates are not to be visited as part of the cache hunt. If a mystery cache is also a multi, then it should be listed as a mystery.

Agreed. Since the posted coordinates actually take you to the first cache location, I would call it a multi--In this case, a four part multi.

Instead of taking them to the final cache first and then sending them out, you could post the coords on the cache page to be the first micro. That would have the first set of numbers for the lock and the coords for the next micro. 2nd micro would have the 2nd set of numbers and the next set of coords. 3rd micro would have the final numbers for the lock and the coords for the final cache. That way you can skip that whole part of finding the final cache first, sending them out only to have to come back to the original spot. Just giving you another option on how to do it. Sounds like fun.

I’m just so tired of the micros in the area thought I would put out something that I would like to find

You could also place some small ready to hide caches in the 5 gal bucket that finders of the cache could hide in the area. I did this a while back with a cache of mine in an area in which one of the locals were hiding micro caches in open space areas. Each of the small caches was labled with a distance it should that it should be hidden form the mother cache. This was so that two cachers hidding them on the same day would not be within the .10 mile guidline of one another. This kept the open space area clear if micro spew. It even motivated some cachers in the area to hide there first caches

this would limit cache maintance for you as you would not have a bunch of micros to maintain. Cache maintance can be a real pain at times.

I guess I don't agree with several of the replies you've gotten.

I agree that it is a multi cache. But it's not that different from from an ordinary multi in the amout of effort/time that must be invested. I have done a couple of multis where the legs/stages have numbers needed to find the final cache. The only difference in your case, instead of having them start a the beginning of a chain and follow the links to the final, you have them go out from the final to the multiple locations and return to the final. I don't agree this is enough different to be some big surprise that should upset anyone. You might mention that it's a 4 stage multi. I like to know when there are more than 2-3 stages, so I can hold off to a day I have the time to reach the end.

As an aside, Blind Leader said and Sputnik seemed to agree that:

A mystery cache is one in which the published coordinates are not to be visited as part of the cache hunt.

I don't think of this as the defining characteristic of a mystery cashe. I have a mystery cache where you must visit the published coordinates to solve the mystery.

To me the defining characteristic of a mystery cache is the requirement that you solve a mystery or puzzle. This is more than just collecting numbers, or simple addition/subtraction of numbers, rather something's not obvious which you must figure out.

To me the defining characteristic of a mystery cache is the requirement that you solve a mystery or puzzle. This is more than just collecting numbers, or simple addition/subtraction of numbers, rather something's not obvious which you must figure out.

It's funny how we all have different views on this. I've always thought mystery caches were simply those which the owner isn't tellng you what you're after. Could be a micro, could be traditional, might even be a multi.

Although I honestly have no real basis for that other than my brain's own interpretation.

It's funny how we all have different views on this. I've always thought mystery caches were simply those which the owner isn't tellng you what you're after. Could be a micro, could be traditional, might even be a multi.

I'm not sure what you're saying. A mystery cache can be a micro, traditional, or multi.

Are you saying you think of a mystery cache as simply a cache where the container size is not specified?

If so, I'm quite sure that's not the accepted definition.

Although I honestly have no real basis for that other than my brain's own interpretation.

That's what the "unlisted" size option is for.

the reason that i was confused on wether or not this would be a multi or a mystery is because all the multicaches that i have found have been a chain. you start at one cache and you follow the chain to the final cache.

-brianandamanda

This is definately a Multi-cache variation. I would look for your cache if it was in my area. :huh:

My favorite multi cache, lead me to a Fence post, with over 100 feet of rope attached to it. The object of the cache was to stretch the rope out the full 100 feet, and walk in a circle until you find the cache.

I don't think of this as the defining characteristic of a mystery cashe. I have a mystery cache where you must visit the published coordinates to solve the mystery.

I only meant that most mystery caches do not list the cache location as the coordinates on the cache page. You may have to go to the coordinates listed in order to solve the puzzle (and the puzzle is more than finding a cache with directions to another cache).

It's a slightly novel idea, since most multis are laid out on a linear or looping track.

If the hides are inspired or at scenic or nice locations, or take you along nice trails it's a nice cache. If they are routine hides in trashy locations it isn't. :P

Be sure your locked container is very well hidden as a chain and lock will make it much more attractive to a muggle than one they can easily open to view the contents. :D

Oh and BD-play nice with the tadpole-this is Getting Started, not General Topics and they asked an innocent question. :P

Wonder how many smilies you'd get by people who log "found cache" but never bothered to find the combos at the other locations. Sounds like you'd get a lot of those from cachers who seem to be those claiming finds when they find a location but never actually find a cache. They'd just log they couldn't open the container. In this case where you're going to put the container in a container I could see those just logging a find because they found the outter container.

Also, are you planning on chaining down the padlocked container? If not, wonder how many would just take the container with them to the other locations, leaving the final cache container at wherever they end up.

There are caches that use a multi to find the combos then go to the final.