Geocaching During Hunting Season

NBCNCO

What is everyones thoughts/experience with caching during hunting season. I have come up with the following options:

1. Take appropriate precautions, don the blaze orange, and cache.

2. Only go out on Sunday when hunting is forbidden.

3. Hole up for the season.

4. Put on the funny hat with the antlers and go because incoming fire always makes the cache experience more interesting.

What is everyones thoughts/experience with caching during hunting season. I have come up with the following options:

4. Put on the funny hat with the antlers and go because incoming fire always makes the cache experience more interesting.

I've gone for option 1, even on sunday.

However, option 4 automatically adds an extra star to the difficulty :lol:

Maybe in your part of the world, but here in Minnesota they hunt on Sundays.

I was going to say the same thing, some states don't allow Sunday hunting, some (many?) do. Iowa, btw, does.

As for the options, I do combo of 3 and playing by ear. I usually don't cache in areas that allow hunting on opening days, and usually all of shotgun deer seasons (about 2 1/2weeks). The rest of the time I go unless I get to the nearest parking area and its obvious there's a lot of hunters around (like lots usually empty or close to, are half full).

Deer hunters mainly hunt at dawn and right before dusk when the deer are moving about. Mid-day is a good time to go out geocaching and ALWAYS wear your flourescent orange during your treks on State Game Lands. Even her in PA where everyone "thinks" we do not hunt on Sundays .... we actually do for crow, foxes, and coyotes. Koikeeper and I avoid the Game Lands on Saturday geocaching trips .... but on Sundays we go for it. ;) ImpalaBob

I've gone for option 1, even on sunday.

However, option 4 automatically adds an extra star to the difficulty ;)

Option 5 - Return Fire

Haha, Right Wing, good option. I'd have to use a spitwad gun though, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with a real gun!

I don't plan to start caching until spring. It's cold, and i hate the cold. There should be alot of cool new caches popping up in the spring, due to those who don't cache in the winter, or at least don't place them. It sounds really fun, but I just don't think I want to try my first in the winter weather. Mistakes in the winter are much more dangerous then mistakes in the summer.

If I were to choose, it would be #1, but not if theres a lot of redneck-mobiles in the area.

Edit. I'm not saying all hunters are rednecks, but around here, pretty much.

Edited by dougsmiley

I wear an orange hoodie and an orange vest. I look like safety match.

I never worry about it in the woods, because I figure anyone stupid enough to fire at a giant fluorescent orange woman in the woods is unlikely to hit same. Thank you, trees. But I get a little itchy between the shoulder blades when I cross an open field or edge around a pond. I don't trust everyone to think of their backstop.

When it's hunting season.I hang up the GPS . Most of the public land around here was purchased with Hunters and Anglers Dollar though the Pittman-Robertson Act.

I consider it their land...They bought it and us GeoCachers get to use it year 'round while they can only use it (for hunting) during certain seasons.

Besides....During hunting season....I'm spending my free time in a tree stand!!! :unsure:

Here in Indiana they hunt on Sundays so my policy is to stay out of the woods during Gun season.  I'm not prepared to trust my life to an orange hat or vest.  They won't do much good anyway if some trigger happy hunter shoots before he even sees what he's shooting at.

That's the reasoning behind wearing BLAZE orange (not just orange, make sure it is BLAZE...you know..the stuff that sears your retinas in the store) This is a color that DOES NOT occur naturally, and does not blend in with ANYTHING, especially any environment you will be in in fall/winter (hunting seasons) A perfect example; opening day of pheasant season, my party had spread out across a 200 yard wide timber grove. Woods were thick enough I could barely make out the elevated road on the other side of it from me, but with a quick scan I could tell EXACTLY where each person in my party was because their blaze orange stood out like a neon sign.

Not saying some ya-hoos don't manage to shoot objects they weren't aiming at, but it really is unlikely. Most of the time when this happens, they are swinging the gun following game in movement, and pull the trigger right as the unintended object enters the line of fire. Quite unlikely, really.

As has been echoed repeatedly in the two (or is it three) other threads about this same topic, just show the hunters some respect, give them space (we get the park all year, they only get it a month or two), wear your BLAZE orange, and use some common sense.

edit bb code screwed up somehow...

Edited by dkwolf

Try to avoid cachin' at dawn and at dusk. Mid-day would be the best time to cache. Wear something bright.

As for returning fire? Could be a good idea, however, that presents a problem.

I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and do carry a 9mm handgun.

Question: Who has the better odds at 100 yards. A cacher with a 9mm handgun or a hunter with a scoped 30-06!