It's Summertime And The Living Is Hissy.

cownchicken

:lol: This is a friendly cautionary warning to all cachers visiting the Western Cape during the December school holidays.

We, and other local cachers, have seen a marked increase in snake activity in the winter rainfall areas of the Western Cape. One of the reasons is that it is currently mating season and they are out there looking for a partner.

There is also plenty of food available for them due to good winter rains.

We suggest wearing hiking boots and keeping your eyes peeled while in the veld or mountains.

Enjoy your time here and maybe we will see you on the mountains.

Hmm, I don't like snakes. :unsure:

Think I'll tie some bells to my belt and hopefully they'll scarper when they hear me coming! Thanks for the warning, though. We always remember about the ticks because they always get on us, but we often forget that there are snakes about, too! Mind your step . . .

When I was younger, I went camping with the family. I was out playing in the woods and found a cool snake skin. As any boy would, I wanted to show off my find. (pre geocaching days! B) ) Well I went marching back to camp and held it up in front of my grandmom. She almost had a heart attack right there in front of me! B) How was a 10 year old to know about phobias?

needless to say, we both try to stay clear of all things snake.

Oh, and don't worry, she is alive and well in Florida, pensioner. :huh:

Hey guys,

this is a great opportunity to help out with conservation, while enjoying your geocaching and seeing nature. SARCA (Southern African Reptile Conservation Assessment) is compiling a listing of reptiles in South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland. They have already produced similar work for frogs.

All you need to do is take a photo of the reptile you encounter (could be snakes, chameleons, tortoises, lizards, etc.) and submit the photo with the co-ordinates of the location where you saw the animal to their website:

http://www.saherps.net/sarca/particip.php

That way you will be contributing to the formation of a catalogue / database of reptile species, at virtually no additional effort to your geocaching. I have to admit that the site is not yet particularly user-friendly, especially when you are trying to do a search, unless you are already a herpetologist and know the binomial Latin naming. However, a birding friend has raised the matter with the webmaster, so we hope to see a change one of these days. Hopefully, one will be able to search by common names too.

Happy caching, and don't tread on any reptiles this summer :blink:

Hmm... remember to ask that 'geelslang' to lie still while you hold the GPS above it's head for the exact coords :anitongue:

Seriously though - this is a great project and I will certainly be contributing.

Have a safe holiday everyone.

Edited by adamant
Think I'll tie some bells to my belt and hopefully they'll scarper when they hear me coming!

Nope! Snakes are deaf. All of them. They are, however, very sensitive to vibration and will usually get out of your way before you get too close. The main one to watch out for is the Puff Adder, which does NOT move. It relies on its camouflage to avoid detection. Easily stepped upon - resulting in a lightning fast strike and serious problems if far away from help.

The Puff Adder is responsible for more fatalities than all other snakes put together. Word-wide!!!!!

Hmmm... I came within a travel bug length of stepping on a puffadder when we hiked up to Bipodosaurus and Trappieskop. They are amazingly well camouflaged, and little more than pure luck made me spot the thing before trampling it (midway along the body, leaving the sharp bits more than enough room to find my juicy ankle). Thank God the dogs were left at home for that particular trip.

Then I got tick bite fever anyway and spent a week with the most godawful headache you can imagine.

So watch out for them ticks too! Contrary to what most doctors will tell you, as they write out elaborate bills for their time and expertise, you CAN get tick bite fever more than once and you DON'T always get a rash. What's more, pathology, also enjoying the financial exercise, CANNOT always detect it in your blood.

Bear