Logged With Permission

OzGuff

I have heard rumours that geofficer may have stopped his/her rampage on my caches. It remains to be seen if she/he will delete the bogus finds. (But since the account is likely a sockpuppet why would she/he?)

SDT logged two of mine and is also on the armchair caching bandwagon. (Unless I imply he is an idiot again -- which I won't.) :ph34r:

Team Perks logged 7 and then immediately deleted them.

There have been a few single logs but all have been deleted by the cacher.

I have no idea what the story is behind the cache in Olney that 5cents linked. Maybe it was related to an event cache that had some temporary caches. (I would say something about the cache and cachers being "squirrelly" but unless you are from central Illinois it would likely mean nothing.)

Do I have to officially rescind my facetious offer? I think not. If folks want to log the caches, they can. But in the process they will show their ___________. (Fill in the blank with the word of your choice.)

A. ignorance

B. immaturity

C. nescience

D. All of the above

Can't we all just get along? [Rhetorical question not requiring an answer. But the answer is apparently "Apparently not."] :D

Always wanted to hit a 1000 in my lifetime...OzGuff looks like I could shoot for 2000 now, you said you had about 350? :D

In all seriousness though, it is sad mr/ms. geo-officer is too lazy to stand up out of their armchair, grab a GPS and get some exercise and go enjoy beautiful outdoor scenes.

As for why you are hated in TN-- You should never wear a U. South Carolina shirt with a Vandy hat...kind of a touchy subject with them Vols. (GO GAMECOCKS ).

:-P

Edited by geoholic28

There’s 13 inches of lake effect snow outside and the high might get to 30 degrees so no caching for me today. I decided to surf the forums to get away from my whining and fighting kids and I come across whining and fighting adults!

My better judgment says to leave this topic alone but what the heck…

I don’t think I’d give permission for someone to log a find on one of my caches that was obviously not found. However, I don’t know the circumstances as to why the owner allowed it; there may be a good reason or there may not. Perhaps the “finders” showed the owner that they clearly made it to where the cache had been only to find the container missing. I don’t know the reason and I’m pretty sure neither does Ozguff. Regardless, isn’t it up to the cache owner?

So while I agree in principle with you, Ozguff, I think that posting an out of the blue rant on the cache page the way you did was out of line. And to add the sarcastic line about logging all yours as finds was only asking for trouble. I don’t agree with his response but I guess I give Geoofficer credit for an equally sarcastic comeback. I think even the name “Geoofficer” is a shot at you. Had I been in your position I would’ve deleted my rant from the DNF and offered apologies all around. But hey, we New Yorkers are known for being such nice folks!

Guess I’ll forget the forums and get the boots and gloves on.

This might be a tad off topic, but I had a pretty lousy day today. I was stuck at home all morning with a foul mood that was just getting worse. I finally had the opportunity to get out, get some fresh air and nab a few caches. I found two quick n' easy micros that just didn't do much for me in the way of improving my mood. I checked my Palm and the next closest cache was an OzGuff. It was 20 miles away, but I was willing to make the drive because I really wanted to get some caches and I knew it would be....hmmm...quirky?

I was on my way to the cache when I checked the pocket query for previous logs. That's when I found a bunch of gibberish. Finds and Did Not Finds from people who never even attempted the cache. I'm the kind of guy who uses the information on my pocket query to determine whether or not to try for the cache. However, with all the misinformation in the last 5 logs, there was no way I could be sure the drive would be worth it.

Lest you think the afternoon was a complete waste, I ended up just hiking in a nearby state park and picking out a couple spots for future hides. No sour grapes here, but while you might think logging finds from your armchair was entertaining and "taught him a lesson," as an innocent bystander--and a fellow cacher who appreciates the REAL logs of others--it just kinda sucked.

Happy Caching,

Bret

Logging a find with permission....I did it a few time when I first started out but don't feel it's kosher anymore. In the past I've sometimes offer DNF'ers of my own hides the option to change their log to a "smiley" once I find the cache to be truly missing and if they appear to have been looking in the right places. I did this simply because it seemed to be the polite thing to do. The past couple times I've made this offer the cachers have gracefully declined so I think I shall stop offering.

Team Perks logged 7 and then immediately deleted them.

There have been a few single logs but all have been deleted by the cacher.

Do I have to officially rescind my facetious offer? I think not. If folks want to log the caches, they can. But in the process they will show their ___________. (Fill in the blank with the word of your choice.)

A. ignorance

B. immaturity

C. nescience

D. All of the above

Can't we all just get along? [Rhetorical question not requiring an answer. But the answer is apparently "Apparently not."] :ph34r:

Oz, I'd be willing to bet you're a heck of guy that we would all be proud to cache with and have a great time doing it. But will you please STOP sticking your foot in your mouth? You are giving people the wrong impression.

You call people ignorant, immature and whatever that other word is, and then ask why we can't get along? Are you kidding? Do you see what you are doing?

I'll stick with Idiot, OK? I think it fits me best, of the choices. :D

If you are going to let Officer keeps his three hundred odd finds, why can't I keep my 2? You know with some of us it's all about the numbers, not those stoopid long hikes in the woods. And after all, I wasn't piggy about it...

If you ever get over to Indiana, let me know and I'll show you a bunch of my lame 35mm micro hides you can get--but you have to sign the log!!!

hee hee

SDT:

I really am sorry to have offended you yet again. My post with the SAT words was directed at folks who log my caches after having heard/read of the situation and want to "profit" from my possibly rash offer. (Sorry I was unclear.) Your two logs were, I think, attempts to support your opinion and stress a point. I am fine with that and have enjoyed your humour.

I still hope that geoofficer will delete her/his logs. As you can see from CYBret's post above, the bogus logs are having an impact on cachers really attempting the caches. [And I can't resist the opportunity to add --->] (Much like a cache-owner-allowed-find-log might lead another cacher to keep looking for a missing cache.)

And my rhetorical question is tinged with a little irony. I know that I am stirring the pot, but I am not meaning to disparage you specifically; my aim has been at those cachers who give permission to log finds on missing caches AND those cachers who ask for permission and/or accept the offer to log finds on missing caches.

geoofficer's actions were funny, and I have given her/him credit. But, again, does anyone believe that my offer was made in good faith with the thought that anyone would take me up on said offer?

I don't see myself sticking my foot in my mouth. (And I have definitely had experience with this in the past.) I have an opinion in which I believe and I expressed it. I didn't speak it behind anyone's back. In fact, the forums may not have heard about my opinion (and geoofficer's actions) had I not started this thread. Two reasonable people can hold diametrically opposing views and still get along. I would hate for anyone to make snap judgements about me based upon my forum musings. (But I'm sure it has happened. Que sera sera...)

If it makes you feel better, like you have "won" something, keep your two finds. And I'll look for a new pair of loafers to chew on. :lol:

CYBret:

Sorry my opinionatedness caused you some grief. I am pretty sure that the Casey cache is still there and is causing folks troubles. Not so quirky as my other central IL cache, but should be good for a few giggles.

I have heard rumours that you don't really need to actually find the cache; just log it as a find. Saves on gas. A really environment-friendly cache. Just trying to do my part. :lol:

CYBret:

Sorry my opinionatedness caused you some grief. I am pretty sure that the Casey cache is still there and is causing folks troubles. Not so quirky as my other central IL cache, but should be good for a few giggles.

I have heard rumours that you don't really need to actually find the cache; just log it as a find. Saves on gas. A really environment-friendly cache. Just trying to do my part.  B)

Thanks, but it's a little late for that. I was in Mattoon tonight and couldn't resist.

Besides, the fake finds just make it all a little sweeter. B)

Pops may have got the FTF, but I got the FTFITDWIWR*. :lol:

Bret

*First To Find In The Dark While It Was Raining

Edited by CYBret
Just my 2 cents.  To me a FIND is when you FIND the object you are looking for.

If you are in the right spot but you DO NOT FIND the object then its a DNF .

Maybe im wrong here but isnt the idea to find SOMETHING not just find the place SOMETHING should be ?

Atleast thats how im playing the game with my kids.

J

They say you can tell a lot about a person by the way they play golf. Do they take muligans and gimmies? Do they lie about how many strokes they took? Or do they play the game by the rules, even when no one else is watching or keeping track, even when there's nothing at stake and they're just playing for the fun of it.

I think that you can say the same thing about GeoCaching. The way you play the game says a lot about a person. Some of us see things in black and white, others see things in shades of gray. Either way, it has nothing to do with the game itself. A player who lowers their standards really only cheats themselves out of a true sense of accomplishment and casts a poor reflection of themselves for others to see. In the end it is up to each of us to decide how we'll play the game, whether it's GeoCaching or life in general.

Dam Fast

Edited by Dam Fast

I am 99.94% sure I have the right cacher. (The email I received from a semi-interested cacher in the TN/VA area was 100% sure.) And if it ISN'T the right cacher then why delete my log since it would likely not make any sense to that cacher?

It is the right cacher. My four hour round-trip drive to find a cache, with proof, is a game. And her/his 400 bogus find logs aren't a game. Go figure...

Maybe she/he is ticked off because I keep referring to her/him as "her" and "him". (At least I omitted the "it" that I was originally planning to also include.) :lol:

Thanks for your support EdP!

But for cachers who want to be higher number cachers, get to work logging my caches.  :ph34r:

I was wrong about getting tired after 40 or 50 logs. I logged seven of your caches just now and I already got bored.

Forget that. I'm going caching. :lol:

Just make sure to use the JEEP...

This is too dadgum funny... I LOVE comedy....

What? My post got edited....

Weird..

Edited by Steak N Eggs
Just in case folks don't get to the follow-up thread, I rescinded my offer as of December 4, 2005. This was mainly for the sarcastic-impaired.  :lol:

DANG-IT. I WAS HOPING TOGET SOME LOGS IN. See my count? I need some help... :mad:

DUDE!

You need help, but I don't think a smiley's gonna cut it! :D

How ya been?

Yep -- those extra five email notifications are definitely going to push me right over the edge...

I just emailed her/him with a link to this thread. My last line was, "I'm guessing you are 12. Maybe 13. Am I close?"

Are we having fun yet?  ;)

Most of the 12/13yo cachers _I_ know behave better than that.

I'm guessing... 45 or so.

Ah to be 45 again, those were fun & carefree days...

So, is it over?

I just want folks to know that I was perfectly happy to let it go, but since I am being dragged back, kicking and screaming, here is an update:

My find log has now been deleted three times, each of them the same log as I originally posted. I have logged it a fourth time with much more innocuous text.

The cache has now been archived. (But doesn't that violate the cache permanence guideline?)

cudlecub has changed his caching handle to "geo_deputy".

Back to my spa treatments...

We all play the game as we see fit. The game has only just begun since I've been recruited to the "force." hahaha But I'll be busy picking up my caches I archived and logging their replacements some locals have expressed interest in putting out. Bad boys bad boys...whatcha gonna do

Sorry that I was unable to respond in a timely fashion. I have only just gotten a chance to spend some time reading the forums and noticed a couple of hits on this thread, and me with no comeback.

I believe the "recover" comment relates to receiving a warning and the subsequent cooling off period. (This was why it was between MM and myself.) I opened one of my closed threads to make a final comment. Bad forum user. Bad. Bad. (I have asked for, and received, permission to post a final note on this thread.)

My fourth find post on cc's (aka "G-D") now-archived cache remains.

DBC: There may have been a touch of sarcasm in my Venn diagram line.

As always, I have enjoyed the verbal jousting! Thanks to all who contributed!

The game has only just begun since I've been recruited to the "force."  hahaha

Does anyone else read the above quote as a threat? Just in case I may avoid Tennessee for the next few months... :P