Online Gps Stores

Polgara

Just wondering if any cachers use any of the online stores to buy their GPS unit or accessories for caching, and what your experiences have been?

Where did you order your product from?

Were you satisifed with your product and the service?

Did you have trouble getting returns/refunds/repairs successfully, or did you have an overall satisfactory experience?

Is there a site you specifically cater to, when purchasing GPS units or accessories online?

Just wondrin

-Pol

I have used offroute.com for several purchases and have found them to be fast and relatively low-priced. A long time ago they were a sponsor at the geocaching.com site and that got my attention; lately I have not been able to find a better price when I add shipping and tax. So I keep on using them. I have not had to return anything; so I don't know about that.

I bought my 60C through TigerGPS.com. They have a PRICE MATCHING guarantee. I pre-ordered the unit shortly before they started shipping. I figure there were a lot of people who ordered their's ahead of me, and I got mine about a week after other people here started getting their's. I was prepared to wait considerably longer, so I was a very happy and satisfied customer. It was a very smooth transaction, so I never had to deal with their customer service at all.

I bought a lot of my MapSource products from Amazon.com. They used to be consistently cheaper than everyone else, but over the past year or so some people have been able to find slightly better deals elsewhere.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I had a good experience exchanging a unit with TigerGPS. Per their policy, I put a note in the box explaining what was wrong with the GPSr. I also put in a copy of the UPS shipping receipt. They refund the return shipping cost up to $7.95. Two weeks after I initially got my receiver I got the better-functioning replacement. The exchange was easy and painless.

I recently purchased, then returned a GPS from Page Computers. The website tells you they are in California. Wishing to expedite my purchase, I paid for quicker shipping. The people on the "live" help chat were no help at all. Nothing is posted on their website in a timely manner, in fact it wasn't until four days after I received the GPSr that a shipped entry was made on my account.

When I got the GPSr, that's when I found out that it wasn't shipped from California, as the website leads you to believe, but from Albany, NY. Had I known that I never would have paid extra for the shipping.

When I returned the unit, I had to go through some minor hurdles, nothing too complex. The problem started when I tried to verify the return was received. Nothing on the website dedicated to returns, nothing from the "live" help, just waiting. It took two weeks for the return to show up.

The customer service at Page is extremely poor, I would not recommend using them.

I ordered a Garmin 76CS, Auto kit (CSNA6 with cradle and cords), and Topo US from GPSDiscount in December last year. I thought the 76 series was too big and bulky for my uses, so I returned it. I had already installed the CSNA6, so the Auto kit was obviously opened and used, however, I did not need the 76 series cradle. I kept the software out of the 76 Auto kit, and they sent me a 60CS and Auto kit, with the software removed out of the box. They then credited me the difference in GPS prices. It was extremely painless and they made it very simple.

The only real problem is that I used both unlocks on the CSNA6 software, but I returned the unit used on the first unlock. In order to actually use the software for a second unit, I will need to contact Garmin to have them do the unlock. It's not as simple as unlocking online, but they were as helpful as they possibly could be.

Darrel at TVnav.com has consistently given me great advice and good prices. He is very knowledgeable about all his products and often provides help in the various gps-related newsgroups. I always call him first for any GPS purchase and sometimes contact him just for advice. A really good dealer

Jon

I bought a GPS from amazon a while ago, when the $30 credit-card incentive made it the lowest price. Since then I use their card all the time, and keep getting these $25 amazon coupons in the mail. Recently the pile of coupons added up to $200, so I ordered City Select v7 with $100 of it and am trying to decide what new toy to get with the rest of it. Maybe I'll save them until those Garmin Vista Cx and 60CSx units come out :lol:. I haven't had to return anything to them, so I'm not sure how that would go.

I've bought two GPS units from Asenashop.com when a Froogle search showed them to have the best prices at the time I was looking. They were shipped quickly. However, their return policy is less than ideal: they'll only accept returns on unopened products, within 10 days of receipt. If you buy something and it's defective, you have to deal with the manufacturer. They also don't accept any returns of "delicate electronic items" at all. I don't know if they'd consider a GPS unit to be "delicate".

I got a couple of cigarette lighter adapter cables from gpsgeek.com. They work as well as Garmin brand cables and cost a lot less (although they cost noticeably more now than they did a year or so ago). I also bought some neoprene cases from them, didn't like them at all, and they took the return and refunded the purchase price with no problem.

And I got a Metroguide CD from PlanetGPS.com based on a Froogle price search. I had no problem with them either.

I tried to order a re-radiating antenna from pc-moble.net, but it was rejected because I didn't give my real phone number. (I always put 999-999-9999 when asked for a phone number, and only twice has it caused an order to be rejected by anyone.)