Travel Bug "etiquette"

TeamVilla5

There are a couple of TB in a cache close to me. I'm headed out to North Georgia right after Christmas... how long should I wait & cross my fingers that no one else snags them? I know you are supposed to release them quickly... but just HOW quickly? I think 4 weeks is way too long...

Happy Cachin'!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

There are a couple of TB in a cache close to me. I'm headed out to North Georgia right after Christmas... how long should I wait & cross my fingers that no one else snags them? I know you are supposed to release them quickly... but just HOW quickly? I think 4 weeks is way too long...

Happy Cachin'!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

Snag em.

Write the owners and tell them what your plans are. Most are willing to wait if it helps get the bug closer to its goal.

Typically TBs should be moved along within two weeks, however if you are taking a special interest in carrying some bugs on a trip, many owners are happy to 'give' you more time. Just let them know.

Note: Unless the bug really needs the mileage and I mean reaaalllly needs it, grabbing a bug and then dropping it into a cache 1k miles away and only posting "Dropping Bug TFTC" is not taking a special interest. That would excite me as much as a ten mile move.

If you're wanting to hold it for four weeks, you should at least post some pictures and tell some sort of story. That's what makes Travel Bugs interesting.

Have fun with it.

I would most definantly email the owner of the TB's and tell them of what you would like to do. If they agree, by all means, run out and snag them. But I owuld only do this AFTER talking it over with them. I recently had my first TB held for a month, and I was freaking after only 2 weeks. I know I would have appreciated an email from the holder!

I don't doubt you for a second. The fact that you want to 'trip' a bug says it all.

I'm now working on releasing bugs that the goal is to record part of the traveling experience. I want a bug that people will enjoy picking up and dropping off.

Edit: spelling

Edited by BlueDeuce

Normally I try to drop them off asap. Last night I dropped one off in a local cache because it was slightly overdue. My original intension was to drop it in the DC area last weekend. Once down there I noticed that the caches that claimed to have them in them really did not according to the various logs. So many TB's were missing. I did not feel comfortable leaving the one I had so I brought it back home. I did not want to end the poor little guys life. I feel I did the right thing.

HolyCowboys