Making Logs (visits)

i am still confused as to logging (visiting) waymarks......

i obviously had to visit the site to get coords & take a pic.....

so then, unless the category says you CAN NOT log the waymark you created, is it logical to log(visit) the waymark?

in the fountain category, the description states that it is ok to log your own waymarks, however, this is the only thing i have seen on the site stating anything about logging marks you created.

in the Waymarking as a game/'getting points in the game of Waymarking' string, it states that you can not get FTF points for your own waymark--you just got points for creating it, so that makes sense--but you should still be compensated for your 'efforts' with more than a single point though.....this does rely heavily on point structure in place......

i am still confused as to logging (visiting) waymarks......

i obviously had to visit the site to get coords & take a pic.....

so then, unless the category says you CAN NOT log the waymark you created, is it logical to log(visit) the waymark?

in the fountain category, the description states that it is ok to log your own waymarks, however, this is the only thing i have seen on the site stating anything about logging marks you created.

in the Waymarking as a game/'getting points in the game of Waymarking' string, it states that you can not get FTF points for your own waymark--you just got points for creating it, so that makes sense--but you should still be compensated for your 'efforts' with more than a single point though.....this does rely heavily on point structure in place......

I think it's up to you at this point. Eventually I think it will be in our (Groundspeak's) interests to distinguish between the first person to log the waymark other than the person who visited the waymark, since it kind of defeats the purpose to have the person who posted the waymark also be the first to find it.

In the future we hope to put incentives into the game to encourage people to visit waymarks, but right now our focus is on getting waymarks posted and categories managed.

I've been logging my own waymarks in the catagories where there are no restrictions. My reason for doing this is that when you view under "My Stats" the organization is much cleaner than viewing under "My Waymarks". I would sure like to "My Waymarks" set up with a similar organization.

yes, and last night when i was making my logs, i took a break to eat...when i started logging again, many of the logging requirements had changed(ie: include a pic of your gps or watch with a time stamp to prove you went there, but as the waymark owner, posting pics when i made the mark, kind of proves i went there....and if they want to cause a fuss over it i can EMAIL them the pic file which will have the time stamp in the file info, as well as the camera model used to take the pic.....

McDs marks also now ask what you had to eat......good thing i only eat a few things there.....

The waymark vs. waymark-and-log concept is quite fuzzy.

If I look at someone's stats and they have done a lot of waymarks but no logs, it looks like they've done nothing! ;)

They know it, and this engenders people to want to do logs on the waymarks they've made (basically a redundant excercise), just so others will see their accomplishments.

[by the way, this is NOT referencing the numerously mentioned concept in several other topics about combining geocaching and Waymarking stats! Instead this post is only internal to Waymarking. So please don't hijack this topic with that discussion. :D ]

At least for benchmarks, creating a waymark is way more important and significant than doing a log on a waymarked benchmark. I bet that, even with other categories, the creation of waymarks is going to be the central part of Waymarking as opposed to logging already created waymarks.

I'm hoping that waymarks-created will be included on the stats page very soon so that people aren't as interested in doing the waymark-and-log thing.

What interests me as a cat. manager is to pick a person and see the list of all the waymarks they've created in the category. Right now, it's a very cumbersome thing to do.

Instead of sheer numbers and scoring, it is interesting to pick a person and see all the different Waymarking categories they've participated in and the names of the items, not just their logs, but especially the waymarks that they have established. B) Right now, I can only do that with myself since all I can see for anyone else is their logs.

Confusing is an understatement.

I just visited one of my waymarks just for the joy of a nice hike. So when I got home I thought I would try the log your visit just to see how it works. Ok I logged it, edited it, and then archived it just to see how it works. But what is perplexing is the requirement by the category owner is that they want a pict with the GPS. But when I logged my visit I couldn't post a picture to my log. But I can put picture in the gallery because I own the waymark.

So if I can't post a picture when I logged my visit how can some one else who visits the place log a picture according to the category.

The visit to a waymark may have different requirements than posting the waymark in the first place.

In the case of off leash parks, to post the waymark, you need only have visited the site enough to be able to answer the questions (type of enclosure, location of parking, some idea of how busy it is etc.)

There is *no* photo requirement. This was intentional. It was my feeling setting this category up that people would post parks they like to visit, but that they not have to go out and make a special visit to the site just to snap a picture (Google Earth works just fine for coordinates).

Pretty much every off leash area that I posted, the coordinates came from Google Earth, I visit them all the time, but they are spread over large areas of the city, and when I go, I often forget the camera. Posting them allows people to know where they are and possibly visit them (which is the main intent of the category).

They may not however log a visit without the photo evidence.

I only have one off leash area where I was allowed by my own rules to log a visit.