Setting Up My First Cache

Hennes

Hi all,

recently I set up my first cache which wasn't approved. The reviewer told me there has to be a min. distance of 165m towards ancient monuments. In a sense a see the point. However, first of allI couldn't find that rule in a any of the gudielines and second, most of the caches I found so far were not just placed close to, but inside historic monuments. So I am puzzeld if I just got a really picky reviewer or if the sites I went to so far were absolutely uncommon places. And, where is the point to place caches in the middle of nowhere? My understanding is, that at least to an extent, a chache should point out interesting places which probably wouldn't get attention otherwise.

Which is, in my case absolutely the case. The site is accient but nobody cares.

Regards,

Hennes

Lucky! I want to caching in Ireland! :(

There is a section in the guidelines relating to "archaeological sites". I bet this is what it is referring to. Contact your reviewer and see if it is possible to get express wirtten permission and then approval. If he says that would be ok, then try to contact the manager of the land for permission.

Hello, and first off, welcome to the Groundspeak Forums!

As your friendly neighborhood forum moderator, I am moving your thread to the "Geocaching Topics" section, since it relates to the geocache listing guidelines rather than to "Getting Started" as a new geocacher.

To answer your question, you've run into the section of the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines document entitled Off Limit (Physical) Caches. Among the locations listed as being off-limits are "caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans."

The guidelines go on to note the following:

There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain in notes to the reviewer section of the cache page. For example, if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the notes for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.

So, one thing that would help the reviewer greatly would be to hear that you've obtained permission for the cache placement from whomever manages this property.

The guidelines say that you can't place a cache on or near archaeological sites. So your reviewer was on the ball. There is no guideline however as to exactly how far away it must be, but 165 m sounds to be a bit much.

Perhaps if you took photos of the area where you propose to place your cache, showing the distance between it and the site, it will help your case. Sometimes you can negotiate with reviewers. If you can make a good case for your cache placement he may change his mind.

Edited by briansnat

There are also local rules and regulations that are not part of geocaching.com's guidelines. Some places require permits for example. A city park may not allow caches. It would be impossible to list every single rule for every single plot of land on earth.

I seem to remember a rather big todo a few years ago in your part of the world concerning ancient monuments. Perhaps this is one of those local rules that has come about to keep land managers in your area happy and not have them ban geocaching outright.

there has to be a min. distance of 165m towards ancient monuments.

165m = .1 miles which is the standard seperation between caches. It also, to me, seems a good buffer zone distance.

Umm, so maybe there is already a cache at or very near this location? :)

Have you tried opening a dialogue about the situation directly with your reviewer? :(

There are also local rules and regulations that are not part of geocaching.com's guidelines. Some places require permits for example. A city park may not allow caches. It would be impossible to list every single rule for every single plot of land on earth.

I seem to remember a rather big todo a few years ago in your part of the world concerning ancient monuments. Perhaps this is one of those local rules that has come about to keep land managers in your area happy and not have them ban geocaching outright.

:(

I'm guessing the OP is in the UK. I might suggest searching the UK forums back a few years for threads discussing modern antiquarians (ModAnts), and ancient monuments. I'm sure you'll see where the regional guidelines come into play.

Edited by Mopar

Why not have the coordinates of the monument (or whatever is there) on the top of the cache description, then have geocachers answer a question or questions at the site (is there a sign, historical marker, or something there?) where they will find a number to plug into the coordinates for the cache container?

For example: On the monument, what year did the battle occur? 174X

On the cornerstone of the tower, what year was it built? 18Y5

These are the coords for the actual cache:

N 12 34.56X by W 78 90.Y12

This way cachers can visit the point of interest, you are making sure they take note of its historical significance, and the site or location will not be damaged.

Thanks for all your answers.

UK is close, in fact as one of you pointed out, it is Ireland.

Some historical sites in this country are really done up (i.e. Newgrange), probably even a bit over the top. However, the general approach towards AMs is very relaxed. You might find installations a couple of 1000 years old and there is not even a a small sign pointing you towards it. In general (as in my case), there is full permission to enter the site and take photos and examine the site to whatever reasonable extent you like (so, you shouldn't start digging holes).

Whistler&Cos approach sounds reasonable, I will change it accordingly...