Trade Items - Swag

caylor

I'm trying to improve the contents of some of the caches in my area by adding some quality swag. The stuff I've seen is pretty bad (doll's head, car with wheel missing) and the kids are disappointed. They're starting to lose interest even though I tell them the point of the game is the "find" and not the "treasure". They're perceptive enough to know that it's not fair that we try to put in good stuff while all that's there is garbage but, again, I tell them it has to start with someone. It may as well be us.

What's good stuff to use and where can I get some? I don't want to spend big bucks per item but the dollar store near me has little that's interesting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

After Halloween I was at Wal-Mart and picked up a bunch of glo sticks for 25 cents each, they also had sets of 5 plastic cups with skulls on them and vampire blood make-up for 25 cents. We've dropped off the vampire blood and several glo sticks, but we'll need a larger cache for the cups. Many times you can find little compasses and stuff in a sale bin too.

Do you live near a Marshall's store? Sometimes they have small picture frames or useless little do-dads that are inexpensive.

What about a thrift store for used paperbacks in decent condition? Or even other interesting items.

My daughter works at Old Navy and they sell key chains and things up near the register, sometimes they go on sale (she also gets a discount).

There are a few ideas for you.

Good for you! I personally have gotten big into collecting and trading signature items, so I rarely trade swag; but I see some neat things and have brought some child relatives caching and here is a list of things we enjoyed:

Nice compasses, carbiners, interesting coins, kid's jewlery, nice action figures, camping supplies, matchboxes, collectors items, caching equipment (emergency blankets, flashlights, headlamps, batteries, hunting blaze). Go down the kids aisles at Walmart/KayBee. they have stuff for .88$ which are usually pretty neat. matchboxes other vehicles. There is so much out there.

I would just bring your kids to the Dollar store or wal mart and have them fill your cart with stuff they would like, then go to outdoors and pick stuff you like. Then trade it.

To get swags I have gone to flea Markets. I have gotten Small Ty bears for 1. 00 that are still in their packages. I have a whole bag of swags that I dont carry but replenish my bag when I run low. I also visit the local dollar store have have picked up bummle balls for a couple of dollars and yoyos etc. Hubby and I saw some Beanz in a toy store for a dollar and got them. I have also have left a few things in caches because it looked like junk in the cache. Just a few ideas

Here is a partial list of things I've left in caches. I get them from supermarkets, hardware stores (like Lowes and Home Depot), Wal-mart, outdoors stores (like Dicks, Campmor, REI, EMS), crafts stores (like Michaels, Rag Shop & AC Moore) and variety (5 and dime) stores. Many are under a buck and most are under $3. Whenever I'm in aany store, I constantly have my eyes open for inexpensive, useful items. If I find something cheap, I buy a bunch. Last year I picked up 20 emergency ponchos at Walmart for 88 cents. This summer my big trade item was packs of Off! insect repellent wipes. They came 20 to a box for $4 so I picked up several boxes.

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CD's

blank RW CD's

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

bags of balloons

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

padlocks

Small cans of insect repellent and repellent wipes

foreign money

rolls of film

kazoos

compasses

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

new wallets

individual packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins &, patches

What not to put in caches. Items that you would have ordnarialy have thrown in the garbage. Caches aren't trash bins (though sometimes you wouldn't know it judging by some things people leave).

Edited by briansnat

I see the same problem (garbage as swag) around where we live. We're new to the game & haven't logged many finds but what we've seen is pretty lame. I plan on upgrading a few of the worst items in each future find, if I can afford it. I'd like to see "adult-oriented" swag (uh, that didn't sound good, but I think you know what I mean) instead of just dirty broken plastic kids toys. Hardware store, Stationery store & flea markets probably my best bet. Might visit some consignment stores & salvation army stores & see what they got. Convenience stores always seem to have little gadgets at the front counter. If you put in books, make sure to enclose in a zip-lock.

This is a great topic ! I'm new to the sport, but I too have been a little disappointed in what I'm finding in caches. I've tried to find intresting stuff to leaving in caches like multi-tools, cool old foriegn coins, and various other items that are interesting. Most of what I've traded out for has been stuff that I don't find interesting at all. I've decided not to take from a cache if there is not something of interest to me. I just leave something that may be of interest to others. Actually, my leave at my 3rd cache found resulted in an email thanking me for leaving the item I left. It was very gratifying and I will continue to try to leave good items in caches. I love the hunt as much as I love the find :anibad:

Some really good items I have found to leave in caches are 99 cent first aid kits. I don't know how many times I wish I could have a bandaid at the cache. I found them at the dollar section at my local grocery store. Also, new hotwheels cars are less than a buck. Cut the packaging down so they are just in the plastic cover with a little cardboard and they will fit in most decent sized caches. Plus the kids and parents don't worry about "where has this toy been because it is still in its packaging.

Oriental Trading rocks the party.

One time, we were running way low on juice. I cursed my lack of preparedness under my breath. We got to the cache and, in the waning light, opened it to find a pair of fresh AAs. YES!!

A corrolary to this topic, though. If you see a cache is mostly trash, should you take it upon yourself to perform maintenance? That is, take all the garbage in there and replace it all with better stuff (if you're so inclined)?

Oriental Trading rocks the party.

One time, we were running way low on juice. I cursed my lack of preparedness under my breath. We got to the cache and, in the waning light, opened it to find a pair of fresh AAs. YES!!

A corrolary to this topic, though. If you see a cache is mostly trash, should you take it upon yourself to perform maintenance? That is, take all the garbage in there and replace it all with better stuff (if you're so inclined)?

I vote against emptying the "trash". Don't forget the old maxim, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Not saying you couldn't improve things by taking out candy wrappers or moldy religious tracts, but even mctoys might appeal to someone. Just leave it better than you found it.

And, again, I must vote against the chinese grab bags (whether from a web site, a dollar store or wally world). I'd rather find a pretty rock than see the US trade deficit increased so someone can find a screwdriver or pliers that will likely break if anyone ever actually tries to use it. If you actually go to China and find a good deal on unique, interesting items, go for it. If you can buy the same thing, only better, in this country made by americans, don't bother with the knock-off (buy american if you can afford it; get something else if you can't). Thrift stores often offer the same basic stuff at similar or lower prices, but the profits tend to benefit some worthy cause.

oh, and you can find about a million posts with more ideas if you use the search feature of this site.

treedweller

I vote against emptying the "trash". Don't forget the old maxim, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Not saying you couldn't improve things by taking out candy wrappers or moldy religious tracts, but even mctoys might appeal to someone. Just leave it better than you found it.

And, again, I must vote against the chinese grab bags (whether from a web site, a dollar store or wally world). I'd rather find a pretty rock than see the US trade deficit increased so someone can find a screwdriver or pliers that will likely break if anyone ever actually tries to use it. If you actually go to China and find a good deal on unique, interesting items, go for it. If you can buy the same thing, only better, in this country made by americans, don't bother with the knock-off (buy american if you can afford it; get something else if you can't). Thrift stores often offer the same basic stuff at similar or lower prices, but the profits tend to benefit some worthy cause.

oh, and you can find about a million posts with more ideas if you use the search feature of this site.

treedweller

My idea is to place some quality (and some novelty) items in to all of the caches I find, whether I trade or not. I'm not going to restock the cache or remove any items I may think are sub-par.

Binky: Thanks for the link. I have no problem buying novelty items made in China. Oriental Trading, founded in 1932, is now owned by a investment firm in California and employs hundreds of people in Nebraska.

To all: I love these suggestions. A lot of them never came to mind because I've never seen them in a cache. ;) Keep 'em coming.

John

I don't think I'll ever really take much from caches unless it's something I really want or need. For me, it's more about the find than whats in it. I would, of course, remove old candy wrappers and such (unless they were old collectable ones or something).

I think something useful to another cacher is the best thing to leave. Theres always something for the kids. The little bottles of no-water soap are cheap and would be something valuable to cachers. I'd really like to see a trash bag (or 2) in every cache for picking up litter. I'll make it a habit to leave one in each of the caches I visit.

I also enjoy "signature" items, showing who has been there. Personally, I don't think these should be traded. Put them in a "don't trade" bag or something.

Sometime you can get neat things at the dollar store, but for the most bang for your buck (hey, it's hunting season here) the dollar section at Target is the best. They have better quality things, and they are changed periodically to go with a theme or season. Once they had all kinds of beautiful stationary, note cards, little beaded boxes, and coasters from India, and currently they have some neat nostalgic toys. The dollar section is usually located right near the entrance, so it's easy to pop in and stock up before you head out for a day of caching.

I can vouch for Target's $1 section. I recently picked up several wooden puzzles and games. I also picked up the following 6 DVDs:

Popeye - 10 cartoons

Superman - 10 cartoons

3 Stooges - 3 episodes

Lone Ranger - 4 episodes

The Lost World - silent movie

One Step Beyond - like The Twilight Zone

They had a lot of others, too.

I hope someone enjoys finding these where I leave them. :P

I'm still a month away from geocaching, so needless to say, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but does anyone ever leave state/local items for someone else to get. For instance, my wife collects state shot glasses from each state we go to. Maybe we could start buying 2 and leaving one in a cache in another state or our state. Or get some type of memorabilia from a local festival, and leave it for someone else to remember their trip to our area.

what do ya think

Ron

Just for the record, Oriental Trading is a company name, not a practice, and secondly, it has quality items at low prices, in quantity amounts, not junk. I don't think this thread was called "politics and trade embargos", caylor was mearly asking for some ideas. :ph34r: No need to attack!

I assume that is a reference to my earlier post. I don't see how you can view it as off-topic. The question is about what makes good swag. In my opinion, that rules out chinese imports. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I have every right to post my opinion. How is that attacking anyone?

If you meant I was attacking the company referenced previously, all I can say is, I know nothing about them except they are importing stuff from overseas (and what was posted above by others, I assume to be true, though I don't plan to check into it). I don't mean to attack them, but I prefer to buy things made in this country. I acknowledge some imports are of a high quality, but, to continue my example above, I have not seen any tools (one frequently mentioned trade item in these threads) at a dollar store that I would expect to stand up to any real work. Why bother sticking them into a cache or retrieving them?

I'd rather TNLN than support the transfer of $ and jobs overseas. Others are obviously free to do as they choose.

TD

I knit cotton dishcloths to keep my hands busy, and I have been thinking about using them to trade, (as soon as I get my GPSr and start geocahcing!) But I wonder if they will be appreciated (I think they are nicer than gross blue sponges)

or if people will just wonder what the heck it is. I use scrap yarn, and they aren't fancy- just practical.

And made in the USA, to boot :unsure:

I'm still a month away from geocaching, so needless to say, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but does anyone ever leave state/local items for someone else to get. For instance, my wife collects state shot glasses from each state we go to. Maybe we could start buying 2 and leaving one in a cache in another state or our state. Or get some type of memorabilia from a local festival, and leave it for someone else to remember their trip to our area.

what do ya think

Ron

when we go out of state we allways take a few florida items to drop off in caches usely eads up in a race when a out of state item get droped he in florida

slith

team dragon racing

I knit cotton dishcloths to keep my hands busy, and I have been thinking about using them to trade, (as soon as I get my GPSr and start geocahcing!) But I wonder if they will be appreciated (I think they are nicer than gross blue sponges)

or if people will just wonder what the heck it is. I use scrap yarn, and they aren't fancy- just practical.

And made in the USA, to boot B)

I love this idea. Attach a tag saying handmade cache cleaner and I think most cachers would love to find one. I'm always finding wet caches and using one of your dishcloths would make cleaning it out a lot easier. If you attach a hook or grommet to it I could hang it on my fanny pack to dry, sure would beat paper towels.. :)

And made in the USA, to boot  <_<

I love this idea. Attach a tag saying handmade cache cleaner and I think most cachers would love to find one. I'm always finding wet caches and using one of your dishcloths would make cleaning it out a lot easier. If you attach a hook or grommet to it I could hang it on my fanny pack to dry, sure would beat paper towels.. ;)

I placed my first geoclothe (pronounced geocloth) today! :o

I also enjoy "signature" items, showing who has been there. Personally, I don't think these should be traded. Put them in a "don't trade" bag or something.

I love finding sig items! I have a nice collection of OU8ALIZZARD and Appalachian Lizard rubber lizards. My husband has a collection of Mr Bloodhound's red plastic firemen and several other firefighter's sig pieces. Wooden nickel sig pieces? Love 'em!! I leave one of mine and grab one I don't have.

I keep seeing people talking about sig items in various different posts and though I have yet to receive my GPS (stupid canada post), I would love to have a sig. item for when I can finally begin the hunt. When it comes to sig items, are there any guidelines like there are with geocoins and travel bugs? I understand the idea of a signature item but don't know if you're supposed to tag it somehow or just throw it in to every cache you hit until people recognize it. There doesn't happen to be a section of the site for sig items does there?

I would appreciate some feedback on this. I like to fish and often leave new fishing lures, still in the plastic box, for trade. I wait and find lures that I like to fish with on sale and then buy several, especially spinners, and I usually also consider eye appeal. Is this something other people like? I also am trying to trade up and am new at this.

I would appreciate some feedback on this. I like to fish and often leave new fishing lures, still in the plastic box, for trade. I wait and find lures that I like to fish with on sale and then buy several, especially spinners, and I usually also consider eye appeal. Is this something other people like? I also am trying to trade up and am new at this.

Sure is. I leave fishing lures myself and love to find them as well.

Great thread, just started Geocaching with one find to date. Yesterday I was wondering around my home looking for something to leave at my next find and was totally confused as to what I use, I finally deide on a flashlight with batteries on the side. The weather turned on me so I was unable to go yesterday. Now I have some good ideas of what I an look for in the local stores. Thanks all for the help.

hi all

im a cacher from britain and i went to a few shops round our local town and picked up various items...

four packs of make your own fridge magnets-havent done it yet but looking forward to making some to leave in caches

two packs of glow in the dark sheep and teddy bears-the kind kids put on their ceiling, perhaps not useful to adults but fun for those with younger cachers with them

my local pound shop sells stationery packs filled with erasers, stickers, pens and such so some of those as well as packs of gel pens or pens that write in differing colours

but im always on the look out for trinkets. if i find a cache with mostly rubbish in it (and i have done a few times despite being new to this) i leave something nice for the next finder and dont take anything out

free <_<

I'd suggest stock certificates. Microsoft perhaps........ Large denomination bearer bonds are also good.

Seriously though, if you want something a lot of folks would like check out a coin shop. You can likely pick up Indian Head Pennies or other old (non-rare) coins pretty cheaply and folks love finding stuff like that.

This is an old thread. Is there any updates to where people buy their swags? Thanks!

Well, I was looking in the $ section at Target the other day and there was a bunch of stuff that would work. Other ideas I've had...

Dollar Stores

Party supply stores

Hardware stores

not knowing what other people consider reasonable I've left behind a mix of things depending on what I had available to me so far...

Double ended screwdrivers

Keyrings (promotional and fancy)

LED flashlight

A Vintage Pocket Watch Fob (in a ziplock bag with a note explaining what it was)

I've also moved trackable items around a bit...

Things I've found that were cool...

small, odd souvenirs (Grand Coulee Dam charm, walking stick badges,... )

Pathtags

Home made "Geo pet rocks"

Wooden nickels

A tiny bicycle repair kit (I didn't take it but it was still cool to find).

Marbles

Think of what you've found that you liked, and think where you might be able to get something similar...

The mini first aid kit idea seems like a good one to me... Particularly as my wife claims I have a first aid kit fetish... :drama:

Z.

This is an old thread. Is there any updates to where people buy their swags? Thanks!

I went to a Hallmark and got a box of those bracelets kids are supposed to be going ape over - the ones I got were called SillyBandz. They were $4.99 for a box of 24. they fit in small caches. I like to try to leave a piece or two of kid swag esp. if I don't see anything in the cache. other stuff in my swag kit is mostly from the dollar store, plastic frogs, dice, mini-erasers, etc.

I am new and haven't been trading swag... just adding stuff to the caches I find if it fits. Also am big into trading out ziplocs and adding log sheets if they aren't there. Staples and Office Depot have 2x3 ziploc bags. you can find logsheets online and print them out... I bring scissors to cut them in the field.

What's good stuff to use and where can I get some? I don't want to spend big bucks per item but the dollar store near me has little that's interesting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

I've recently bought several bags of acrylic gemstones in all shapes and sizes from 'allstarco dot com'

Cache visitors seem to like them, because they disappear pretty quickly :laughing:

Here's a different idea. I placed a cache recently, and in the swag selection not only did I include the usual, but I included sealed sets of 7X9 inch prints of drawings that I use to sell locally of historical landmarks in the community. How often do you get free art in a cache? Don't know how it will be excepted, but I think it's different.

I now duck into 'destination gift shops'. While most of the stuff is overpriced and/or tacky, you can usually find nice lapel pins for cheap. I personally love pins as they fit in almost any cache, they take up no room in your pack, they don't degrade in a cache, and they can reflect where you're from or where you've visited.

I just picked up a bunch from a nearby 'touristy' sea-side village for $1.50 each, and they're actually really well made. Plus they all came in tiny zip-lock baggies. They also carried fun little magnets, hand-made from a local, at a buck a piece.

Having just started geocaching, I was trying to figure out what to bring for swag. In my case, my other hobby happens to be woodturning. So, I decided to bring some wooden tops that I have turned on my lathe. I can make them in all kinds of sizes (I have even left some in micro containers). I like the idea enough that it may become my signature item.