Coordinate Systems

Exfireguy

This morning in No. CA there was a small earthquake. So, I went to the USGS site to find out where it was. The coordinates given were 40.165 121.178 I pulled out my forest service map and the system used on it was 40 15' 30" and so forth. My GPSr would tell me something like 40.16.xxx So, is it easy to translate these methods? Or is it obvious and I'm too thick? Thanks

Hi Exfireguy, it is quite easy. On your GPSr, go to the Main Menu screen/Setup/Units/Postion Format and select hddd.ddddd° (degree decimal) vs. the hddd° mm.mmm' (degree decimal minute) format. I'm using a Garmin Map 60C so your unit may differ in the steps, but the process is the same. Happy quake hunting!

When you've entered the coordinates in this postion format, you can revert back to the one you regularly use. It's all the same geographic position, just a different way to say the same thing.

[edit: more info]

Edited by Timpat

. . . or you can just take the decimal part of the degrees and multiply by 60

.165 x 60 = 9.900, so the first coordinate would be the same as 40° 09.900'

.179 x 60 = 10.74, so the second would be the same as 121° 10.740'

Edit: Oops, your forest service map is degrees minutes and seconds, so again, you would have to take the decimal portion from above and multiply by 60

.9 x 60 = 54, so 40° 9' 54"

.74 x 60 = 44.4, so 121° 10' 44"

Edited by Sputnik 57