G.A.G.B - News And Information

Moote

Just a reminder that nominations for the position of Chairman of GAGB end at midnight next Sunday, a week today.

My how time flies! It's past midnight now. I stayed up waiting for additional nominations, and there were none. I guess Bill returns by default. (De fault of no other suckers raising their hands.) :)

Congratulations!

~erik~

Erik, many thanks for once again acting as our Returning Officer, and I'm sorry we must seem such a boring lot to you...! I think you've done this for us three times now and we haven't given you a single vote to count, just a few forum announcements to make!

To the new (and old) committee, I'm delighted to have you all back on board, and I'll look forward to serving another year with you! Thank you all for staying!

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Hi all,

I was very disappointed to learn this week that Wokingham Borough Council ahd expressly refused permission to put caches in any of the 12 parks owned and managed by them. This is a huge blow as Eckington has had to ask for at least 12 caches to be disabled from the areas to comply with council wishes.

This is a huge shame as there are some fantatsic caching opportunities in places like Dinton Pastures (where I already have two successful caches).

With Eckingtons support, I have opened dialogue with Wokingham Council Parks dept to see if this can be reversed. I referred them to the GAGB site and asked whether we could get them to set up a guidelines agreement like the Worcester Council one.

They have agreed to go away and review this so I am hoping we can persuade them that Geocaching is carried out by responsible people who take care of the environment and that it is also great for kids.

So let's see what happens. If anyone has any experience of overturning a decision like this, I'd be glad of ideas. Any support welcome - I cant wait to re-enable Dinton Butterflies and Mind the Bricks!!!

Chris (Starkey444)

Chris, yes, that was extremely disappointing news. I'm really pleased to hear that you've entered into dialogue with them, and by the sound of it there's a chance that you'll get things overturned. Best of luck with your negotiations with them, and keep us informed of how things go. I've sent you a PM.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

About time for a bit of better news...

South Kesteven District Council

I'm pleased to be able to announce that a process has now been agreed with the South Kesteven District Council (SKDC) that allows applications for caches placed on SKDC land (South West Lincolnshire) to be considered for approval on an individual basis.

Please note that at the time of agreement (December 2007) the process is being conducted on a trial basis until SKDC are satisfied that Geocaching does not cause them unforseen problems.

More info, including submission form, can be found on the GAGB website here

Many thanks for Berni (Careygang) for kicking this one off and doing most of the hard work :lol:

Russ

Hi all,

I was very disappointed to learn this week that Wokingham Borough Council ahd expressly refused permission to put caches in any of the 12 parks owned and managed by them.............

They have agreed to go away and review this so I am hoping we can persuade them that Geocaching is carried out by responsible people who take care of the environment and that it is also great for kids.

Chris (Starkey444)

Local Authorities are currently negotiating the next round of Local Area Agreement targets, a significant one being tackling obesity, so be sure to point out that geocaching encourages people to go out and use the facilities that they provide for that very reason. Good luck and fingers crossed.

Hi all,

I was very disappointed to learn this week that Wokingham Borough Council ahd expressly refused permission to put caches in any of the 12 parks owned and managed by them. This is a huge blow as Eckington has had to ask for at least 12 caches to be disabled from the areas to comply with council wishes.

This is a huge shame as there are some fantatsic caching opportunities in places like Dinton Pastures (where I already have two successful caches).

With Eckingtons support, I have opened dialogue with Wokingham Council Parks dept to see if this can be reversed. I referred them to the GAGB site and asked whether we could get them to set up a guidelines agreement like the Worcester Council one.

So let's see what happens. If anyone has any experience of overturning a decision like this, I'd be glad of ideas. Any support welcome - I cant wait to re-enable Dinton Butterflies and Mind the Bricks!!!

Chris (Starkey444)

Well done to Chris for turning this ban into a permission. That's a first. Very well done.

Dave

(GAGB Committee, caching as The Wombles)

About time for a bit of better news...

South Kesteven District Council

I'm pleased to be able to announce that a process has now been agreed with the South Kesteven District Council (SKDC) that allows applications for caches placed on SKDC land (South West Lincolnshire) to be considered for approval on an individual basis.

Please note that at the time of agreement (December 2007) the process is being conducted on a trial basis until SKDC are satisfied that Geocaching does not cause them unforseen problems.

More info, including submission form, can be found on the GAGB website here

Many thanks for Berni (Careygang) for kicking this one off and doing most of the hard work :o

Russ

A belated thanks to Russ for concluding these negotiations. Since my job brought me out to the US of A I've been active in the UK Forum but not looked at these pinned topics for months. Hopefully this will become permanent and I can place some SKDC Caches when we move back home. :)

We're in the process of separating membership of GAGB and membership of our forums. The reason for that is that there are cachers who would like to be able to use our forums but don't wish to be members of GAGB, and we don't want to deny the use of our forums to anyone (except spammers!).

For further information see the pinned topic in our General forum here.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

We're making progress with this separation, but the process is not yet complete.

As of 9am BST today, May 3rd 2008, anyone signing up with us will become a member of our forums, and of our forums only, not a member of GAGB itself. Anyone whose membership application was validated prior to then is a member of both our forums and of GAGB.

The title "Member" beneath your name in forum posts now refers to your membership of our forums, regardless of whether you are or are not a member of GAGB the organization.

We will shortly be introducing a means of joining GAGB itself.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

As many of you will already know, GAGB's forums were hacked late on Saturday evening, and we took them down as a result. Stuart (StuartP) has put in a great deal of work on the matter since then, and has now migrated the forums to a new and much more secure platform. We've been testing them since early yesterday evening, and we're hoping to make them live this evening (Monday).

The membership database is intact, but inevitably the most recent posts have been lost. I'll make another announcement when the new forums become live. If you have problems of any sort with them, feel free to email me if you have my address, or PM me through the new forums or through gc.com if you can't access the forums for any reason, and Stuart or I will do our best to sort things for you. Please be patient if you do experience any difficulty with them - there are bound to be teething problems, and it may take us a while to sort them all.

When I first tried to log in, it appeared to work, and then I was told that I was banned for ever! If this happens to you, don't worry, you're not banned...! Clear your cookies and try again. If you still get the same message let me know.

If you joined our forums during Saturday afternoon or evening, your account won't be in the membership database back-up. If that's the case, please sign up again, or contact me and I'll set up a new account for you.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

Some users of GAGB's new forums who have the character & in their user names have experienced problems since we migrated our forums to the new platform on May 5th.

If you have a user name with that character in it, you may find that when we migrated the forums your user name got changed from, for example, "Jack & Jill" to "Jack & and ; Jill" (without the spaces in the "& and ;" bit). If you have a user name like that and you're unable to log in that could well be the reason.

If that's the case, either post here or PM me and I'll change your user name back to what it was.

Edited to add the bit in brackets - "& and ;" without spaces in there doesn't seem to display properly in here. (And edited my edit for clarity).

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

After receiving a number of requests, GAGB have now added a Geocoins forum. It's intended for general discussion of coins, but advertisements for the sale of coins are also acceptable, provided the sale is not for profit, but is, for example, fund-raising for an event or a charity.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

We're pleased to announce that our website now has a whole new look to it, and our new forums have a skin to match that, thus giving the website and the forums an integrated look that they've never had before.

If you find you're not seeing the new look in our forums then take a look at my post in our General forum. And do likewise if you don't like the new look and would prefer to go back to the old one.

GAGB would like to thank Ian (studlyone), who offered to do this redesign for us, and who has put in a lot of work getting it up and running despite some substantial database problems that have caused him more than a few headaches!

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Does anyone mind if I fix the forum link on the first page of this post. It goes to

http://www.gagb.org.uk/forum/

and the new forums are at

http://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/ (notice the S)

Thanks Michael, but the links is actually:

http://www.gagb.co.uk/forums/

Notice the .co.uk domain name and the 's'

Cheers

Edited: To remove double spaces ....

Edited by studlyone

Michael, thanks for the offer, and yes, please do change the link in the OP. In fact there are two links to our forums in that post, so perhaps you wouldn't mind a doubled workload, lol...! :cry:

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Done!! Now when someone that doesn't know I asked first, complains that the pushy Groundspeak lackey edited their thread you guys can defend me. :D;)

Edited by Michael

Michael, thanks for the offer, and yes, please do change the link in the OP. In fact there are two links to our forums in that post, so perhaps you wouldn't mind a doubled workload, lol...! :)

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Done!! Now when someone that doesn't know I asked first, complains that the pushy Groundspeak lackey edited their thread you guys can defend me. :unsure::)

Michael, thanks for doing that! :D And yep, we'll come to your defence, lol...! :D

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Steve Cole, who was co-opted onto our committee as joint webmaster and treasurer, has resigned due to pressure of work.

I'm going to act as treasurer as an interim measure until the elections.

I'm pleased to be able to announce that we've co-opted Ian (studlyone) onto the committee as a new joint webmaster.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Stuart Poulton (StuartP) has been co-opted joint webmaster for us for some time, and since the resignation of Steve Cole (penguinhunters) earlier this year has also been acting as treasurer.

I'm pleased to be able to announce that the new committee have co-opted Stuart back onto the committee in both those positions.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

GAGB's website and forums will be down on Saturday evening (3rd Jan) whilst they're moved to a new server. More information here.

We believe the migration to have been a success, it may take ~15 minutes for the update to propagate. If you can read the following post http://gagb.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=27...amp;postcount=5 then you're looking at the GAGB website and forums in their new home.

Regards

StuartP GAGB Webmaster