Boston Geo-tournament In May

Loch Cache

I am planning on organizing a Boston Geo-tournament in May and am looking for advise and help. I am looking at May 20 as a possible date.

The idea for the event is to hide caches in and around Boston. Most caches will be accessible by public transportation. Our goal is to have caches near interesting areas in the city that can become permanent caches. (I hope to place 30-40 with 50-75% being permanent.) Cachers will gather at the The Boston Globe Saturday morning and be given a booklet with the necessary information. They will have a fixed amount of time to seek the caches and return the booklet with the appropriate notes/stamps to show they found the caches. In the afternoon we will host a gathering at the Globe for all geocachers even if they did not participate in the tournament.

Any takers?

Loch Cache

This sounds like a fun project!

I want to make sure that your thread is in the proper forum. Are you mainly looking for local geocachers who would be interested in participating in the contest? If so, then I'd be happy to move this to the New England Forum. Or are you mainly asking for ideas and advice about how to organize an activity like this? In that case, your topic would belong in "Organized Geocaching." Take your pick. :)

As a Boston geocacher, can I only ask that this not end up adding 30 film canisters to the region's caches. I do *not* want this to be a derailment of your plans or this thread, but as it seems this is in formative stages, it seems the appropriate time to be sure that small (not log-only micros) are used primarily in order to keep up the high quality that I've come to know in the city proper area.

The recent North Quabbin Tournament event page should be a good place for you to get a lot of good feedback from participants on what would make this a really good experience (always best to start from the shoulders of giants). There's also a New England forum thread discussing the tournament and methods for improvement (like asking someone involved in the tournament to dry-run the entire set of caches and provide a single page printout of corrections to the book if they need to be made post-production).

This sounds like a fun project!

I want to make sure that your thread is in the proper forum.  Are you mainly looking for local geocachers who would be interested in participating in the contest?  If so, then I'd be happy to move this to the New England Forum.  Or are you mainly asking for ideas and advice about how to organize an activity like this?  In that case, your topic would belong in "Organized Geocaching."  Take your pick.  :huh:

Keystone, thank you for asking. Both is the answer. I am looking for general advise on organizing a tournament, but also want to generate buzz about the event. I have already heard form two cachers that have said if we plan it they will come. Both are from outside New England. For now I would like to keep it general.

Loch Cache

Also, I like your idea of a booklet listing the tournament caches.  Would we be able to log all of them on the GC.com website?

My initial thought is to have as many as possible loggable on GC.com. A realistic goal, I am told, is 75%.

What do you think is a fair number of caches to shot for and a fair percentage to make permanent?

Loch Cache

My initial thought is to have as many as possible loggable on GC.com.  A realistic goal, I am told, is 75%.

What do you think is a fair number of caches to shot for and a fair percentage to make permanent?

There should be a way to make all of them loggable on GC.com. You may want to get with your local approver and discuss your options. In KC, we were able to log all of the event caches from a past event but there was something tricky in setting up the event with the local approver.

>I am planning on organizing a Boston Geo-tournament in May and am looking for >advise and help. I am looking at May 20 as a possible date. :rolleyes:

Is this going to be open to people who do not reside in the Boston / Mass area.

I live near Buffalo NY and have been looking for an excuse to pop over there for a visit.

Wow, I'd love an excuse to return to Boston :rolleyes: (went to Tufts U 78-82, and lived there again from '89-92) but with Geowoodstock 4 in TX the following weekend I doubt I can manage to attend your event. I hope you do get the caches listed here so I can find them the next time I come to town though. I think the idea of keeping them accessible to users of public transit is excellent. The only time I took my car out of the garage when I lived there was to get out of town for a weekend.

Is this going to be open to people who do not reside in the Boston / Mass area.

I live near Buffalo NY and have been looking for an excuse to pop over there for a visit.

Yes. I have already had several inquiries from out of staters. To do this right I am going to form a group in early January to work on it. Being what may be the first in Boston I want it to be good.

Loch Cache

I am going to close this topic for now. My plan is to solicit 3-5 geocachers in early January to help me put this together. At that time I will solicit feedback for others as well through the forums. In the mean time if you have questions or thoughts you can email me directly through my profile.

Barring any unforeseen issues, the date will be May 20.

Thank you,

Loch Cache

EDIT: Enjoy the holidays.

Edited by Loch Cache