Ftf Prize

daytribe

I've seen a couple of new caches recently that have had something a bit special in as a prize for the FTF (sadly it wasn't me).

Is this a relatively new idea, accepted practice or generally up to the individual that sets the cache.

I have read that $1000 prizes have been left in the past in some caches in the US.

Firstly, what do you think?

Secondly, what's the best prize/trade item you found?

Mike.

I have seen a few in the UK including coordinates to a bottle of wine and coordinates to some unlogged locationless caches. Around the North East at the moment you do not normally need to tempt people to find a cache as there is often a but of a FTF frenzy, but it is a nice idea.

For reference I was the FTF and won the locationless caches but left them for others as I am only logging locationless caches theat meen somthing to me and not just because I can.

I don't see the point of FTF prizes.

For those that go in for FTF-chasing (is there a word for this?) surely the prize is the FTF itself. I'm willing to bet that most areas have one or two cachers who pretty well mop up every new cache that comes out within a 10 mile radius in a matter of hours (yes, I'm thinking of you Robin :) ).

For our (so far) only cache, the FTF prize was a USA geocoin with the activation code (TBMDXN). The coin was intended as a traveller, so had a hole drilled in it and a tag attached (like all our travelling coins). The idea was that the prize wasn't the coin as much as the fun of giving it a mission and being able to follow it. In addition, we were also "giving" a geocoin grabbing opportunity to the community. What do people think?

Bambi.

Up to now have only had one nice FTF certificate produced by 'The Royales'. We always put one in our caches, no not in micro's. Today we were fortunate to find a cache and again be FTF (GCRFNB). What was a lovely gesture was the fact that it contained a nicely wrapped up Christmas present to be put on the tree and opened on Christmas day. It was well appreciated and certainly a first for us. :huh::)

I left a camera phone and a digital compass in one of my caches.

Why? Well it was just superfluous to needs, both were in excellent condition and I know that these have not ended up on a land fill polluting the planet. Recycling is Good :huh:

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote
I left a camera phone and a digital compass in one of my caches. 

Why?  Well it was just superfluous to needs, both were in excellent condition and I know that these have not ended up on a land fill polluting the planet.  Recycling is Good :huh:

Milton (aka Moote)

I like this kind of thinking.

I used to have to put FTF prizes in my caches when I was "the only gay in the village". Typical would be a certificate for a bottle of bubbly at our local winery (open 7 days).

Now my caches usually get found within four hours of being approved. But I have some ideas for a 4+* puzzle, so maybe "congratulations" will be in order there.

my first FTF had the prize of being the first to see, and really laugh out loud at the first page, which said:

Congratulations, you are the first to find this cache. please fill your name in using the boxes below:

I am:

[ ]Dan

[ ]Pid

[ ]Dan and Pid

[ ]Other: ____________

The prize was being able to fill in my name instead of 'the usual suspects'

:rolleyes: We have a local cacher who leaves really nice wood turnings as ftf prizes in the caches he sets and there is usually a bit of a race to get there first to get the first pick.GCP3YY

I agree. I've got a few of his pieces of work in my display cabinet, however, at the cache in question, I was second to find, but wasn't the least bit interested in the contents of the box apart from the log book. I just wanted to get myself "safe" as soon as possible :unsure:

Because they are unique, and hand made, they make a great FTF prize.

...The prize was being able to fill in my name instead of 'the usual suspects'

:rolleyes:

Ah, I remember it well!

I've had a few FTF certificates but don't tend to carry anything nicer than a blank CDR and some candles as swops so if I found a quality FTF prize I couldn't take it anyway. I think a scratch card tucked in the front of the log book's a good idea, and I've left a 'small' cheque in a cache as the FTF gift before now.

Travel bugs and G'coins also make worthwhile inducements, with white jeeps being near the top of the 'desirable tree'. The risk with an extra lovely FTF prize is that the cache will be muggled before it's found by a cacher or cachers, of course. Personally I avoid making the box a target for the unscrupulous by keeping the FTF bonus more of a spiritual or emotional reward than a financial one :unsure:

SP

I've had a few FTF certificates but don't tend to carry anything nicer than a blank CDR and some candles as swops so if I found a quality FTF prize I couldn't take it anyway.

I always thought the idea of a 'prize' was that you don't have to leave a swap for it... it's a prize?

That's how I always see it when I leave an FTF prize anyway.

Travel bugs and G'coins also make worthwhile inducements...

I've got a new cache all set up and waiting to be released. I'd planned to put one of the new UK Geocoins (un-activated) in it as a FTF prize.... if they ever turn up :rolleyes:

The risk with an extra lovely FTF prize is that the cache will be muggled before it's found by a cacher or cachers, of course.

Not sure that's valid, Paul.... If you don't actually advertise publically that it contains the Crown Jewels then the risk of it being found by muggles is no greater than if it were an empty box

The risk with an extra lovely FTF prize is that the cache will be muggled before it's found by a cacher or cachers, of course.

Not sure that's valid, Paul.... If you don't actually advertise publically that it contains the Crown Jewels then the risk of it being found by muggles is no greater than if it were an empty box

Quite right, but I've seen several caches with 'Nice FTF prize' in the description. I know keeping the nature of the prize (prize being a non-swap item? I can see how a 'gift' might be mixed up with a 'swap' when it comes to FTF 'specials'. One for the cache setter to make clear on the page I guess) vague won't draw extra attention to a cache. However, putting "£100 gift voucher for FTF" on the page might!

The risk of a new box, as hidden by the setter, being muggled is probably lower than a live one, where half the cover has been lost and there's a cacher's trail to it. Or under a 'Look at meeeee!' pile of sticks which may have developed over time :rolleyes:

SP

I usually leave a certificate for the FtF cacher. I think that roolku has most of them!

On a caching spree yesterday in Fife/Perthsire, I found caches stuffed with some quality swaps. I took a light stick, a dinky calculator and a packet of bookmarks and left appropriate replacement items. It's been a while since I was tempted to take anything from a cache. So, thanks McKryton and Allieballie. :(

Most of the caches around my part of the world (Arizona, ASA) include a small FTF prize in some form or another. I have just placed my very first multi-cache, and included a $25.00 gift card from a local Borders Bookstore. The finder emailed me after making the find and said, "Wow! Very nice prize!". I personally would have included more, but I had already spent considerable money just preparing and constructing my cache. I'll most likely put 20 bucks back in it as a 100th finder prize. I too have heard of $100, and $1000 TFT prizes, but I've never actually seen one. I have seen unregistered / trackable Geocoins as FTF prizes, & thought that that was a good idea.

TEAMZIG

I had a first sort of a prize. A travel bug whose task was to travel the three peaks in a oner. I offered up a bottle of bubbly - and it was legitimately claimed! The said bug was removed from the peaks and collected by me (ahh) Who never got her lazy bottom out of gear to return it to its peak pastures so changed its mission ! It seemed a good idea at the time! I never offer a first to find prize as such but there are always good quality cache prizes initially placed in my boxes (I placed Leoness' 40th birthday present in hers Leoness' Yorkshire Den - with the hope that she would be FTF - she was.) Perhaps thread should be - how long does good cache contents deteriorate to trash - not long around here but hey ho only a game and nothing a few pounds won't resolve.

Oh and I also put a neclace that I had found for 50p at a car boot sale (a good place to buy inexpensive good quality swops) Madaxeman picked it up and left a message saying it was of some value. When researched it was thought to be worth about £50. He offered it back but I declined... (how moral is that - the offering , not the declining)