Incomplete Pocket Queries

GrailQuest

I've been working on going paperless and trying to set up pocket queries to stream line the process. I've noticed that a particular cache I'm interested in (The Nobscot Mt. cache) fails to come down in the pocket query. My query is set to 500 caches and 10 mi radius. I get about 450 caches and the cache in question is 8.7 mi from my location, so it should be in the list. Its not a big deal to download the cache separately, but how many others might the query be missing? it concerns me that the query process might not be reliable. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

I've previewed the query on the site and looked through the list at the caches in the 8.7 mi range. Not there. I'm using MacConvert to make the pdb file to sync with the Palm, and CacheMate to view the database on the Palm. I figure its ok to get less than 500 caches if there are less than that within the 10 mi radius, but then I should definately get ALL the caches...

I've been working on going paperless and trying to set up pocket queries to stream line the process. I've noticed that a particular cache I'm interested in (The Nobscot Mt. cache) fails to come down in the pocket query. My query is set to 500 caches and 10 mi radius. I get about 450 caches and the cache in question is 8.7 mi from my location, so it should be in the list. Its not a big deal to download the cache separately, but how many others might the query be missing? it concerns me that the query process might not be reliable. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I set up a test PQ that looks for any cache within 10 miles of GCMF28, which is 8.7 miles from Nobscot Mt. Nobscot Mt does show up in the query, so there is nothing specific about that cache that somehow leaves it out of PQ results. It looks like some of the other options you selected are causing it to be filtered out, as Moe the Sleaze suggested.

Thanks Moe, Thanks Crabs, for putting time into this.

OK, I've got it. The cache in question is 10.6 mi from my home coords but 8.7 mi from the default home coords attached via zip code to my account- Sooo the cache just missed my 10 mi radius PQ. (stupid me) :)

Next question. Can I change my home account coords or am I stuck with the arbitrary zip code coords? I don't see anyway to do this in the account profile settings...

Edited by GrailQuest

You can add the exact coordinates for your home location. Go to your "My Account" page and click on the link in the right hand column.

EDIT: Doing that will do nothing to help with your pocket query. Proximity-based pocket queries search a radius based on a zipcode center or on the coordinates entered in the space provided. At present there is no automatic means to whip up a pocket query based on your home coordinates.

Edited by Keystone
Thanks Moe, Thanks Crabs, for putting time into this.

OK, I've got it. The cache in question is 10.6 mi from my home coords but 8.7 mi from the default home coords attached via zip code to my account- Sooo the cache just missed my 10 mi radius PQ. (stupid me) :)

Next question. Can I change my home account coords or am I stuck with the arbitrary zip code coords? I don't see anyway to do this in the account profile settings...

Go to My Account page, look on right side for Update Home Coordinates link.

The top box on the right side of the "My Account Details" page, titled "Search Options", should have a link "Update Home Coordinates". There you can add/change your co-ords.

The pocket query only uses the zipcode centerpoint if that's what you tell it to do. If you want to be more precise, don't enter a zipcode at all since the centerpoint is somewhat arbitrary. Use an exact set of coordinates, or the GC number for a geocache near the middle of where you wish to search.

If you are still having issues you can copy/paste the URL when you are on the edit page for the pocket query. Someone else will be able to see your options but won't be able to edit your pocket query nor see personal information like email address. They'll also be able to create a semi-identical query to see what you are seeing. HTH.