The Lowracer Geocoin

Hugh Jazz

The long-awaited Lowracer 4th Anniversary GeoCoin should be available for Pre-Ordering starting at 7:30PM Mountain Time tonight:

http://www.TheCachingPlace.com

These are priced at $4.00 each, with only 240 available in Antique Bronze. There are going to be 250 minted in this metal, and a limited edition run of 50 in Antique Silver. After that no more will be made. I'll be keeping 10 of the bronze for my own purposes as well as all of the antique silver.

c8bd6a4e-7b71-43a3-a34d-15dc4619a38a.jpg

Edited by Hugh Jazz

Thanks for the 'trade' offers, here and via email.

At this time I'm not planning any coin trades as I am not a geocoin collector. This is just my way of giving back to the sport of geocaching after 4 great years of fun. So if you're holding off on pre-ordering hoping for a trade deal, I'd say go on ahead and pre-order.

I am however a collector of vintage Chambers brand gas stoves, the "Cadillac" of gas ranges. If you have an old Chambers gas range lying around in the basement, working or not, email me and we'll put together a deal for some of the silver lowracer coins. I might even consider trades for Chambers gas stove accessories, particularly the thermowell pots.

-mark

aka hugh jazz

aka lowracer (forum banned premium member)

$4 for the shipping of 1 coin? What a total rip off. *Makes a personal note to not support that website*

I really hope you'll trade with me for your silver coin. After the whole :mad: thread you've become one of my geocaching idols. :lol:

:) Where on earth are you seeing $4 per coin shipping?

When I tried to order 1 coin last night the total came to $8. This morning it was back down to $6.60. I guess I must have put 2 in for the quantity last night. $2.60 to ship 1 coin within the US is still more than necessary, but I can deal with that for this particular coin.

Edited by Vargseld? ™
$4 for the shipping of 1 coin? What a total rip off. *Makes a personal note to not support that website*

I really hope you'll trade with me for your silver coin. After the whole :) thread you've become one of my geocaching idols. :lol:

:mad: Where on earth are you seeing $4 per coin shipping?

When I tried to order 1 coin last night the total came to $8. This morning it was back down to $6.60. I guess I must have put 2 in for the quantity last night. $2.60 to ship 1 coin within the US is still more than necessary, but I can deal with that for this particular coin.

The $2 might be the handling fee (?) Coins from The Caching Place usually have a $2 fee per order.

I really hope you'll trade with me for your silver coin. After the whole :) thread you've become one of my geocaching idols. :lol:

:mad: Where on earth are you seeing $4 per coin shipping?

The $2 might be the handling fee (?) Coins from The Caching Place usually have a $2 fee per order.

It is, but to me charging $2 to walk to the post office is ridiculous. When I trade with people I don't say "By the way, you're going to have to pay me an extra 2 bucks", so I fail to see what makes them any different. I've never even seen a single state coin where they charged that much to mail 1 coin. I guess I just need to realize being a business comes first over being a cacher.

Edited by Vargseld? ™
It is, but to me charging $2 to walk to the post office is ridiculous.

Some things to think about:

Think of this as a $6 coin, for which you are only paying $0.60 postage. Or think of it as a $6.60 coin for which you are getting free shipping and handling.

This is all off topic but here goes anyway: I consider the $2 per order to include more than walking to the post office. When deciding who to use for geocoin creation and fulfillment, I chose thecachingplace.com because they handle all the order taking, website setup and fulfillment. That would cost me way more than $2 per order. I considered the time I'd have to spend setting up and paying for a commercial website, building a paypal shopping cart, then handling and accounting for the dizzying flood of orders, cancellations, etc. Then after the dust settles, there's the actual fulfillment, stuffing coins in envelopes, addressing them, then actually driving the lot to the post office. Plus thecachingplace.com does provide a useful service and is entitled to make a profit for this service as it does add value or I wouldn't have chosen their service.

I'm in the business of technical product marketing. I get paid an excellent salary for what I do. I'm not in the business of minting and selling coins, stuffing envelopes, and designing websites with paypal shopping carts. I won't profit a nickel from this run of coins. I hope to break even (fingers crossed), or my wife's gonna shoot me and if so, there won't be a 5th anniversary coin next year. ;-)

So what I'm saying is, consider the big picture, and if the $2 handling fee is still too much, you're free to order two coins, in which case the handling fee per coin waters down to only $1, or just pass on this edition right now and by this time next year they'll be going for $23 on eBay plus the eBay standard $4 shipping.

I think followups should probably go to the geocoin 'whining' topic! :)

:lol:

-mark

aka Hugh Jazz

I already bought your coin, I couldn't pass on it. :) The initial price I saw was just a mistake on my part, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm not trying to attack anyone specific, just making a statement. Maybe I'll make a new thread. Anyway, I apologize for taking this so far off topic and wont say anything else here.

It is, but to me charging $2 to walk to the post office is ridiculous.

Some things to think about:

Think of this as a $6 coin, for which you are only paying $0.60 postage. Or think of it as a $6.60 coin for which you are getting free shipping and handling.

This is all off topic but here goes anyway: I consider the $2 per order to include more than walking to the post office. When deciding who to use for geocoin creation and fulfillment, I chose thecachingplace.com because they handle all the order taking, website setup and fulfillment. That would cost me way more than $2 per order. I considered the time I'd have to spend setting up and paying for a commercial website, building a paypal shopping cart, then handling and accounting for the dizzying flood of orders, cancellations, etc. Then after the dust settles, there's the actual fulfillment, stuffing coins in envelopes, addressing them, then actually driving the lot to the post office. Plus thecachingplace.com does provide a useful service and is entitled to make a profit for this service as it does add value or I wouldn't have chosen their service.

I'm in the business of technical product marketing. I get paid an excellent salary for what I do. I'm not in the business of minting and selling coins, stuffing envelopes, and designing websites with paypal shopping carts. I won't profit a nickel from this run of coins. I hope to break even (fingers crossed), or my wife's gonna shoot me and if so, there won't be a 5th anniversary coin next year. ;-)

So what I'm saying is, consider the big picture, and if the $2 handling fee is still too much, you're free to order two coins, in which case the handling fee per coin waters down to only $1, or just pass on this edition right now and by this time next year they'll be going for $23 on eBay plus the eBay standard $4 shipping.

I think followups should probably go to the geocoin 'whining' topic! :)

:huh:

-mark

aka Hugh Jazz

That´s exactly why I have chosen thecachingplace.com for minting and distributing my coins. And they were excellent. Everything went perfectly smooth.

I really hope you'll trade with me for your silver coin. After the whole :huh: thread you've become one of my geocaching idols. :)

:) Where on earth are you seeing $4 per coin shipping?

It is, but to me charging $2 to walk to the post office is ridiculous. When I trade with people I don't say "By the way, you're going to have to pay me an extra 2 bucks", so I fail to see what makes them any different. I've never even seen a single state coin where they charged that much to mail 1 coin. I guess I just need to realize being a business comes first over being a cacher.

I don't know why people mind the $2 handling fee. You have to cover the PayPal fees and the cost for the envelopes, paper and whatnot somehow. Not to mention the pain in the a$s packaging, labelling and stuffing envelopes can be.

Just look at the ridiculous overpriced shipping charges on Ebay - that is a ripoff, not this $2 handling fee.

BTW: I ordered 2 Lowracer coins to Canada and the shipping & handling fee was $3.10, that means they charged me only $1.10 for shipping costs and that is as fair as it gets. Try finding a seller on Ebay that charges $1 for international shipping!!

Final tally, 247 coins were sold. I initially reserved 10 bronze for myself but have dropped this to a reserve of 3. So for those keeping the 'official' geocoin records, there are 247 coins that have been preordered. 3 bronze and 50 silver will end up in my hands for my own purposes.

Thanks to all who pre-ordered. Here's hoping they turn out as great as all the other thecachingplace.com coins and will be a prized addition to your collections!

-mark

aka lowracer, Hugh Jazz.

Just an update, i received the "Proof" Lowracer personal geocoin in the mail yesterday.

WOW. It looks awesome! I'm very impressed, and I know those of you who pre-ordered will be impressed too. (The guy on the front of the coin is such a handsome devil, if I do hafta say so myself, and I do.)

The detail of the M5 lowracer bike on the reverse side of the coin is nothing short of exquisite. You can see every spoke, every blade of grass, and even a look of triumph on the rider's face as he finishes a 102-mile ride on the fastest and most comfortable unfaired production bicycle in the world.

I'll try to get a photo posted here later this evenin--

...nah, on second thought I'm gonna let it be a surprise for ya in the mail...

:P

The Lowracer geocoins have arrived. Those who pre-ordered should be getting theirs soon if you don't have them already.

I have 50 LE coins in antique silver. Some of the LE coins may be available in special geocaches around the USA in the coming months. Some of the LE coins may be auctioned on a certain "e" auction site. Add userid (commercial content deleted by moderator) to your favorite sellers to see when these may become available.

Thanks to all who pre-ordered for helping make this unique geocoin a reality!

-mark

aka Hugh Jazz, aka lowracer.

Edited by mtn-man