Has Anyone Cached In Another Country?

Arrow One

I attempred two in Italy. One inside Rome, in fact right in the Forum, it is now archived after having a most suprisingly long run in one of the most visited spots in the world. I got the find on that one.

I also attempted one just outside the city; DNF. We had to go after 10 mins. searching.

Really great experiences on both parts. If I had more time I would have done plenty more.

Most people say, it is one of the best ways to get brought to the unknowns gems in coutries you know nothing about.

England is fabulous.

Read the logs, and the locals are all, like, "Uh huh. Whatever. Nice cache, thanks. TNLN." And mine are all, like, "HOLY COW! This cache is next to a stone age burial mound!" and "Geez, lookit that! It's a medieval castle!!!" and "Oh my gosh, this is where William the Conqueror came ashore in 1066! And they let you walk all around the Abbey and stuff!!"

Sometimes you can be entirely too blasé about your own local history.

I have cached while on a consulting trip in southern India, although the pickings were sparse: there were only two aches within a 140 km radius of where I was staying. However, my one find led to a great meeting with the US expatriate geocacher -- an evangelical missionary -- who had placed the cache; we met at a newly-opened American-style diner in downtown Chennai (Madras), India.

And, I spent 5 days in Nicaragua last week, but there are only two physical caches and one virtual cache in the entire country, and none were near where I was staying, and so I had to gracefully give up on the idea of finding any caches on that trip! However, I got to see many beautiful volcanoes, and I had many quiet and peaceful dinners on the outdoor patios of restaurants under balmy tropical night skies, so it was not all bad!

I cached this last summer while on vacation in Central Europe -- The Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Croatia. There were lots of caches in Prague and Budapest. The best one I did was on top of a mountain on Rab Island, Croatia in the Adriatic Sea. Great View. I also logged quite a few locationless caches while on that trip, and dropped a few travelbugs. Have GPSr, will travel!

Although I don't geocache prolifically, I have cached in several countries. One of the most fun locations was Tenerife, a Spanish Island off the coast of Africa. Other places include Sinapore, England, Thailand, India, South Africa and Swaziland.

I have planted caches in India and Swaziland because there were none nearby. The one I planted in Bangalore, India keeps turning up missing. And others do not seem to stay put either. I may try a V-cache in Bangalore soon.

Vinny & Sue, I've run into Miinesota Dave too while in India.

Edited by Rhett & Scarlett

Not yet but coming January, we're flying down to Ft Lauderdale for a 10 day cruise. Already looked over the peer with GE and there are a few. Also looked on the islands we'll be visiting and there are some overthere also. Just looks promising. I wonder if there are some on the cruise ship???? :P Maybe I could put a micro........na, coordinates would have to change to often.

Edited by Nomades
Although I don't geocache prolifically, I have cached in several countries. One of the most fun locations was Tenerife, a Spanish Island off the coast of Africa. Other places include Sinapore, England, Thailand, India, South Africa and Swaziland.

I have planted caches in India and Swaziland because there were none nearby. The one I planted in Bangalore, India keeps turning up missing. And others do not seem to stay put either. I may try a V-cache in Bangalore soon.

Vinny & Sue, I've run into Miinesota Dave too while in India.

Thanks for your note! I had a great time meeting Minnesota Dave and his partner, and I was also introduced to a waiter at the restaurant -- a young man from Hawaii, who is a geocacher as well. In fact, Dave and I are already planning to meet again on my next trip to Chenani, likely early next year. Ufrotunately, the muggle factor for geocaches is EXTREMELY high in India -- due to the very high level of poverty, people tend to cannibalize and reuse anything they come across. If my trips to Nicaragua continue, I would like to place a cache there...

I'm planning a trip to Southern India again soon... later February... Will be in Bangalore, Chenani, Madurai, Kolkata, and maybe Nagaland (Kohima).

I may be there at the same time, and if so, I will try to let you know; it would be fun to meet at Sparky's Diner in Chennail. However, right now late February seems committed to clients in Thailand and Malaysia, and then parhaps India in March.

I picked up a few in Italy while I was there. Unfortunately, my GPSr was broken while I went to Hong Kong. Rumor has it I'll be in Moscow next spring, but I also hear tell they're pretty jumpy about the whole GPS thing, and spending a few weeks in a Russian prison is not on the agenda.

Italy was interesting. It's definitely not a cache-dense area. There are a little over 4,000 caches within 100 miles of my home coordinates, but there are only 128 within 100 miles of Milan (or something small like that). I did pick up a find on Castle Fortezzio (sp?), and the virtual at Pompeii. Great place to visit. Getting out before work and walking around the city with the GPSr is a great way to find the little cafes on side streets....

Cheers,

Phil

England is fabulous.

Read the logs, and the locals are all, like, "Uh huh. Whatever. Nice cache, thanks. TNLN." And mine are all, like, "HOLY COW! This cache is next to a stone age burial mound!" and "Geez, lookit that! It's a medieval castle!!!" and "Oh my gosh, this is where William the Conqueror came ashore in 1066! And they let you walk all around the Abbey and stuff!!"

Sometimes you can be entirely too blasé about your own local history.

This might have something to do with the Brits' tendencies to understate stuff. :)

I've gone caching in Japan and Canada (Vancouver area).

Employing stealth in Tokyo can be interesting. I knew from the hider's style that the cache would be a lock-n-lock container magnetically attached below a mail box, so I brought along some empty envelopes, grabbed the container, put it on top of the mail box, placed envelopes around it, signed the log, and waited for streams of muggles to clear. People who came by to drop off mail didn't even give me a second look since they thought I was sealing the envelopes at the last minute. This was located right in the middle of Tokyo's business district.

A regular park in Vancouver is like a forest in California, so people used to getting good reception while searching for a "standard park hide" are in for some surprise and challenge.

I'm not really visiting any other countries any time soon, but I was wondering if anyone has done any caching out of the USA.

Of course I have! Actually, I've never cached within the USA (yet!)

I found quite a lot of caches in foreign countries: I think about 50 of my 130 Finds.

visited & cached in : Netherlands, Ireland, UK, Norway, France, Spain.

One typical thing about Dutch caches: lots of puzzles.

Germany, Austria, Wales (UK), Delmarva and the Czech Republic.

A lot of the time a cache is a cache the world 'round, but the differences in language and culture make caching out of your home country a unique experience. You come back with a new appreciation of your own culture, having viewed it from the outside, caching included.

I'm not really visiting any other countries any time soon, but I was wondering if anyone has done any caching out of the USA.

I think Canada & Mexico would be neat places to cache. (mainly because I'm to chicken to fly)

Any stories??

We have cached in Georgetown, Grand Cayman and in Cozumel, Mexico. Very nice. In about a year, we plan to travel to China. We will be doing some caching there as well.

Edited by mrmnjewel

I'm living very close to the frontiers of two other countries. For the cachers from this region it is absolutely normal to go caching in all three coutries and there are many multi caches that start in one country and have the final hidden in another.

Sometimes it is the biggest problem to figure out in which country a cache is located. :)

I looked for a cache in Massachussets. That's almost another country.i

HEY! I am from Massachusetts and we have the best most creative and intelligent caches in the world! And spell Massachusetts correctly! But now that I think of it.... um, our state senators BELONG in another country :huh:

Edited by Pinster56

I first started geocaching when I was living in Arizona, then moved to Turkey where the caches are sparse, though I've found about 9 so far. Not to mention the six I've planted around the country for the geocaching tourists. Then I went to England and visited my sister for a couple weeks and have found about 30 caches in and around London.

Geocaching in England is indeed very cool! One of the greatest caches I did was the Sherlock Holmes multi-cache in London; it takes you to some interesting areas and then when you find the cache, you get a commemorative keychain for your hunt, very cool!

We've been out of the country twice since we started caching almost a year ago. We decided not to cache in Italy because we thought we might get caught up in the caching and ignore everything else. That was probably a mistake--we found out on our recent trip to Jordan and Egypt that caching added a wonderful extra dimension to the trip. We found ALL of the caches in Jordan--two! One was the Lowest Cache on Earth, on a hill above the Dead Sea. We were so excited to find it! The second one was at Petra and it was high on a hill overlooking the ancient city--I can't begin to describe the feeling of finding this amazing cache. We also did a virtual in Giza at the Great Pyramid of Cheops and another awesome cache--high on a hill above the Tombs of the Nobels in Aswan, overlooking the Nile. It doesn't get any better than that! I have a feeling that almost any foreign cache is going to seem extra special. If you find yourself heading outside the US borders you should definitely load up your GPS unit and bring it along. You may not use it, but you don't want to regret not having it along.

We have cached in Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Just returned from Georgetown, but didn't have time to cache (was held prisoner by muggles) - however I did manage to incorporate it into a picture...

mad-jer.jpg

Um....I assume you are aware of what teenagers mean when they make that gesture in the photo....

Edited by Pinster56

Of 40 finds logged now, seven have been in foreign countries. It helped that we were just on a three-month assignment in Europe... got to geocache in Italy, France, Scotland, and Greece, and I moved a total of nine travel bugs (four over, four back, and one from Paris to Florence). It was a lot of fun; even my lukewarm-about-geocaching husband dug it, as we got to see places many tourists don't know about.

Incidentally, there's a very good reason to take a GPSr on vacation: when you're in a large foreign city (say, Paris or London), you can take a waypoint at your hotel and then just navigate to it if you get lost. It saved us a lot of unplanned wandering around.

Cheers,

Leanne

We have found caches in Canada and in Scotland, UK. We don't have software for our GPS that gives us the detailed maps we have for the US but we were familiar with Victoria and the Vancouver metro area so that helped. In Scotland, we had software that gave us only major roads and streets so we relied on maps. We found only four caches in Scotland but all took us off the beaten path. One of the them was near the castle where many scenes from Monty Python's Holy Grail (GCJPYV)was filmed so that fun for us. Anyway.......

Have enjoyed caching in Hong Kong, Macau, Ireland, Iceland, and Norway.

In Macau, with no common language, the cabbie and I managed to snag two.

In Norway, I was hosted by the FTF'er of one of the caches I planted in Iceland. For fuller info see GCXFKT (blush, blush) .

just returned from hong kong an china......found one in hong kong with a cahcer that livesthere that i met thru this site... that was really fun as he knew his way around that city.....it was on victoria peak and the views were awesome........i also found one in the forbidden city, tianenmen square and in the walled city of xian when we went to see the terracotta soldiers. we have a chinese friend that helps us in our business there when i explained geocaching to her and sent her a link to the chinese translated website i recieved a lukewarm response as she was apprehensive of lurking around public place with a gps,camera and misc papers in her newly tolerant but still paranoid country. she is now hooked...... i couldnt get her to calm down about it and everydays itinerary include a web hunt for caches..... i bought her a gps...she was amazed that it was made in china (taiwan) add another geofool to our ranks!!!

I logged 14 caches in Australia. We were there for 6 weeks but the emphasis was on birding and when you are paying a bird guide $$$ a day you don't waste time looking for caches.

But I did find several in Brisbane (one of which contained a travel bug of mine which had started out in Florida two years earlier and had fulfilled it's goal of getting to the site of an International Congress of Entomology) and a few more at scattered places around the east half of the country.

Caches are mostly concentrated in the more populated areas. There are very few in the outback, which is most of Australia. We had our best days caching when we drove to and from Melbourne to Deniliquin, a small town on the edge of the outback. There were number of nice caches in the farming country along the 200 mile route. A couple of these are among my favorite caches anywhere. I thinkMelbourne's first is now the oldest active cache in Australia. Irish Memories is typical of the multi caches that were common here.

A great country to travel in (they speak English sort of), it's not all that hard to drive on the wrong side of the road and you are likely to share cache sites with a number of interesting birds and marsupials.

The view from Melbourne's First c5aef140-a37f-4526-9cfc-f2038b211b18.jpg

Edited by NevaP
;) We've managed to find caches in Canada, Grand Caymans, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, New Zealand, Ireland, and England. We're heading to Germany in May and hope to pick up finds in Italy, Austria and Switzerland also. Amazingly, a cache outside the US, looks vaguely like a cache in the US. We are a global community. The one odd thing I've found caching outside the US, is that the directional arrow points the opposite way when you're south of the equator. :anitongue: (just kidding)

Great topic! I used to go to Germany a few times a year before I started geocaching, and flight prices went outer space! Holy cow! Well, anyway its been a few years, I feel the need to go home again. My questions are, can you use the same coords, where the heck do you GET them. I was told by someone I would need some sort of GPS converter, but I think they were joshing. COME ON! Sats are sats!

Can I use my GPS? Where do I go looking for the cache cords. Does it work the same way as in America?