Gpscache Has Passed.

Trail Angel

Hello,

Many of you may be familiar with my brother, GPSCache, a.k.a. Robert Altman. He has made an impact in the GeoCaching community and was passionate about our hobby. He found hundreds of caches and placed 25 of his own. After an 11 month battle with Soft Cell Sarcoma, a very rare cancer (only 1 in a million get it) he passed away at home in Big Pine, CA on Tuesday, November 15. We can only hope that after months of pain, he has moved on to a better place free from this horrible disease. His intense determination, inspiring spirit and kind soul will never be forgotten. He was a true mountaineer and artist. He tirelessly explored the Sierra's with true respect and admiration. We have thousands of photographs, hundreds of paintings and the most insanely funny cartoons to remember him by.

All of Robert's cache's have been transferred to my account and I will keep up his love of this hobby. We are planning a memorial cache in honor of him and will post the details when it is placed.

We will be having an art show and "Inspiration Day" to remember Robert in mid-January. If you are in the Sierra's, specifically in the Bishop, CA area, we welcome you to join us and appreciate some of Robert's art. I will post details as they become available.

If there is one thing we have learned from Robert...live life to the fullest and appreciate every day!

Happy GeoCaching,

Anika Altman

a.k.a. Trail Angel

I am so sorry to hear of your loss & I feel the entire gc community joins in feeling the pain of a family member & friend being lost.

I, too, have spent many happy times in the Sierras from the time I lived in Sacramento & Riverside - I know the beauty and awe of the mountains, the lakes, redwoods, incense cedar, ponderosa pine.

It is a wonderful example of the greatness that proves the existance of a Creator . . . the same one that holds your brother in his heart, as a father holds a child that is crying. He is there for the survivors, as well - call upon Him.

I'm sorry to hear of Robert's passing. I didn't even know he was sick. :P

I know that I've found some of his caches. We emailed back and forth a few times discussing local caches in the Eastern Sierra and even discussed meeting up at an event. Sadly, I decided to pass on hosting an event in Mammoth this year, since my time there had been greatly shortened and we never got to meet.

MtnFrog & Camel are Mammoth locals and I'm sure that they will attend Robert's "Inspiration Day" if they can.

Hang on to the happy memories and take comfort in them. :D

Thanks very much for keeping his caches and his memory alive for future finders. I can think of no better tribute for a geocacher. :D

We are so sorry for you and your family. Thank you for trusting that we would care to know of this sad news. We do, and we wish you strength and peace in this hard time. Your adoption of his caches will allow people to continue to know and appreciate your brother.

- TandS

Edited by tands

OMG. Trail Angel... I am so sorry and sad to hear of this news. The eastern sierra is my home away from home. Despite numerous adventures in the sierras for 30 years, geocaching took me to places I had never been, and to spectacular sights I had always just whizzed by. Of Robert's 25 caches, I found 15 of them. I so looked forward to each summer and what new places Robert would take me to. This summer, I, along with Flatiron and Mrs Rangler and Bloomin' Fun were ftf on his Hidden Lake cache ... a year old unfound sierra cache and a true gem which took me to an expansive plateau above the Owen's Valley. A self portrait at his Elephant Walk cache was featured as a gc banner this summer also. He taught me the geography and history of the region in such a humble way. His contributions to the true spirit of geocaching are applaudable.

Thank you for adopting his caches. They're all on my to-find list. I will be in Mammoth in January, and would appreciate being kept in the loop about the Inspiration Day... if I can.. I WILL BE THERE. Robert was an inspiration to me as a human and a geocacher.

Robin

Trail Angel..................We are deeply sorry to hear about Roberts passing, to say the least. Living in the Eastern Sierras a good part of my life, I understood Roberts love for the most beautiful part of the country anybody could live in. We did many of his caches, and as Ranboze noted, his Hidden Lake cache will always be one of my favorites. He shared a love of this hobby with thousands of fellow geocachers and we all appreciate him taking us to places we may have never seen. The GC community, his beloved Sierras, art lovers, and friends have suffered a huge loss. We will do everything possible to be at his memorial event. RIP Robert................

My condolences to you and yours.

I just found out that a very good friend and co-worker died this morning from cancer. Even tho' John didn't geocache, he loved the outdoors... I had been planning a cache in a local park, think I'm going to dedicate it to him... :)

We'll look forward to seeing that, EE.

I am very sorry for your sad loss, Trail Angel.

Hello,

Many of you may be familiar with my brother, GPSCache, a.k.a. Robert Altman.  He has made an impact in the GeoCaching community and was passionate about our hobby.  He found hundreds of caches and placed 25 of his own. 

...snip...

All of Robert's cache's have been transferred to my account and I will keep up his love of this hobby.  We are planning a memorial cache in honor of him and will post the details when it is placed.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Might I suggest that instead of just one memorial cache, you turn every one of his caches that you now own into a memorial for him? The next time you make a maintenance visit, drop a card in the cache that says

In memory of Robert Altman (GPSCache) who originally placed this cache

or something like that.

Hi Trail Angel,

I too saw Robert's picture in the banner. He looked so young and full of life. His spirit will be alive as long as you remember him. From looking at his profile, he enjoyed the places he would visit. I'm sure that now his spirit still visits those places, but now he just sees them from a different angle. ;) I never got a chance to meet him, but if I'm ever in the neighborhood I will think of him when I see his name in the logbook. It's nice of you to take up his hobby in honor of him, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as he did.

Hello,

Many of you may be familiar with my brother, GPSCache, a.k.a. Robert Altman.  He has made an impact in the GeoCaching community and was passionate about our hobby.  He found hundreds of caches and placed 25 of his own. 

...snip...

All of Robert's cache's have been transferred to my account and I will keep up his love of this hobby.  We are planning a memorial cache in honor of him and will post the details when it is placed.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Might I suggest that instead of just one memorial cache, you turn every one of his caches that you now own into a memorial for him? The next time you make a maintenance visit, drop a card in the cache that says

In memory of Robert Altman (GPSCache) who originally placed this cache

or something like that.

I like that idea, I'd make a one page bio about him, laminate and drop a copy in each of his caches.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, drink in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming

......WOO HOO what a ride!"

Fair winds and following seas.

Just saw this one, sorry to not check in more often.

As Snoogans said, it is a true loss to us all. Sounds like he was a very talented individual as well as adventurous.

Having lost my little brother to the same kind of cancer in December of 2000, I do understand. I definitely feel for you.

Take care,

Mac aka Breaktrack