Memorymap / Palm

patanddave

Didn't some maggelan's accept memory map stuff?

I thought that they had there own OS mapping, I know the Garmin PPC PDA will accept it, but you might as well just buy a MITAC Mio168 (£180) and save £300 on the Garmin PDA cost

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

Thanks for that, I have just bought Memory Map full UK v 5, standard version for £139.99 on Ebay it seems to be a bargain and I am assured that it is genuine. It will get a lot of use.

I will now look for my home area Fugawi maps for the Palm as Cachemate is running a dream on it and I want to keep it that way.

Pat

I use CacheMate on a Palm (Garmin iQue 3600) and I have MemoryMap installed on my home PC. To be honest, I've never considered MM on a PDA to be essential for caching (nice but not essential). I use it at home to plan caches, routes and parking places and occasionally, to print off a map section. In the field, my Garmin Legend has led me to nearly 1100 caches and I have no plans to change or upgrade to anything else in the foreseeable future.

KISS works for me :lol::)

Fugawi Maps and Palm - has anyone any experience of this mapping software on a Palm?

Once the application is loaded on to the Palm and the maps are loaded on to a SD card, using a card reader, how do you access the maps from the card?

The Palm application (and the PPC one) can only display maps that have been exported from the PC application in the appropriate format. The map files on the CD are for the PC version only and are useless on the SD card.

To use the Palm software you need to do this in the PC application (assuming you have told it you are ussing a Palm - the way you do this is completly different if you have a PPC)-

1) Select and area of the map with the selection tool (Note that the OS license limits the size of map sections and will not allow you to choose overlapping sections)

2) Edit - Export Selection to PDA ...

3) You will then get a menu where you get to name the map section etc.

4) Sync your Palm

5) The map will be transfered to the Palm's RAM

6) The map can be viewed on the Palm, or the Palm application can be used to move the map to your SD card

Note that due to limitations in all but late versions of the Palm operating system maps are only viewable when in main RAM. Maps have to be copied between the SD card and memory to view them. If you have problems with limited RAM then you need to use something like ZLauncher to ensure you only ever have applications in memory that you are running at the time.

Also note that hidden away in Settings - Palm is a way of managing map files, Waypoints etc