Lowrance / Lei Mapcreate Tips

user13371

I thought the limit was 1GB. Does Lowrance support 2GB cards?
Gleaned from previous discussions on this forum and Yahoo/Ifinder group:

- Older models (12 channel, b&w screens) can only handle 1GB cards

- Newer models (>12 channels, color screens) can handle 2GB cards

Can you get it to work with a smaller card?

I contacted Lowrance (re H2o C) and was told maps had to be 1/2 GB or less but you can put more than 1 map on the same card. I tried this with 1GB card made 2 maps each less than 1/2 GB this loaded and functioned with no problem.

Jack

I thought the limit was 1GB. Does Lowrance support 2GB cards?
Gleaned from previous discussions on this forum and Yahoo/Ifinder group:

- Older models (12 channel, b&w screens) can only handle 1GB cards

- Newer models (>12 channels, color screens) can handle 2GB cards

Can you get it to work with a smaller card?

I am trying to find out how to do a reply hope this one works.

I contacted Lowrance (re my H2O C) they say the maximum map size is less than 1/2 GB but you can put more than one map on the same card. I have 2 maps each less than 1/2 Gb on a 1GB card and they seem to work OK.

Hope this is the right way to reply, last effort seemed to go into space.

Jack

I have recently purchased an H2OC unit along with MapCreate 6.3 Topo. I read through the posts in this thread and everything I have attempted to do has worked perfectly (well almost) the first time thanks to the tips and techniques that had been provided here.

I have a couple of things that I would like to ask that I did not see the answers to, if anyone who has the answers is still monitoring the thread...here goes...

Can MapCreate be installed and used on multiple computers (i.e. home and laptop) as long as a cd is available to activate the software when started up?

It was mentioned that after registering the SD/MMC card then MapCreate would recognize it without the LEI reader as long as the card was in a reader installed on the PC. I am getting a "Please insert an MMC/SD card" dialog any time I attempt to access my registered card in the reader that is built into my laptop. When I plug the LEI reader back in and restart MapCreate the card is accessed without any problems. Did I miss something about getting MapCreate to recognize another reader with a registered card???

Any help would appreciated.

Pat@Play,

#1 Yes, you may install MapCreate on several computers, as long as you have a CD to run it from.

#2 In order to install Maps to a SD card, you must use the Lowrance branded reader. For other data, like .usr files (GPS data) you may use your Laptops SD reader.

Since there seems to be a growing Lowrance group here ...

Hi, we are just beginning with Geocaching. We are considering purchasing a Lowrance iFinder Go because it's at a price we can afford and the features look good. HOWEVER -- we have an eMac and I want to be sure we can download the location file from the computer to our GPS. The Lowrance iFinder Go info says PC but I can't find any info about Macs. Will we have a problem?

Thank you so much -- we want to buy this thing so we can go on a geocaching vacation in August.

Hi, we are just beginning with Geocaching. We are considering purchasing a Lowrance iFinder Go because it's at a price we can afford and the features look good. HOWEVER -- we have an eMac and I want to be sure we can download the location file from the computer to our GPS. The Lowrance iFinder Go info says PC but I can't find any info about Macs. Will we have a problem?

Thank you so much -- we want to buy this thing so we can go on a geocaching vacation in August.

The GO is pretty much designed to stand on it's own, no computer required, unless you want to hack it.

It is possible to send waypoints, like Geocache locations, to the unit, but from what I hear it is somewhat difficult on a PC, I have no clue about Mac's. The cable cost more than half of the units price, and the alternative is making a cable, which is not particularly hard but tedious. The programming end sending NMEA sentances is where I get lost.

Basically I would be leery of the GO. While it has some definate advantages (Price, basemap, nice antenna for GPS) it has drawbacks when it comes to Geocaching in that there is no easy and direct way to interface with a computer.

The GO is pretty much designed to stand on it's own, no computer required, unless you want to hack it.

It is possible to send waypoints, like Geocache locations, to the unit, but from what I hear it is somewhat difficult on a PC, I have no clue about Mac's. The cable cost more than half of the units price, and the alternative is making a cable, which is not particularly hard but tedious. The programming end sending NMEA sentances is where I get lost.

Basically I would be leery of the GO. While it has some definate advantages (Price, basemap, nice antenna for GPS) it has drawbacks when it comes to Geocaching in that there is no easy and direct way to interface with a computer.

Thanks so much for the info. We were seeking the least expensive model since we're just starting. So I've been trying to research this using your forums. If we want to download the waypoints of our Mac would you recommend a Garmin. Many people have been mentioning Etrex or Legend. How do I find out if I can use my eMac? It does have a USB port.

Thanks.

Thanks so much for the info. We were seeking the least expensive model since we're just starting. So I've been trying to research this using your forums. If we want to download the waypoints of our Mac would you recommend a Garmin. Many people have been mentioning Etrex or Legend. How do I find out if I can use my eMac? It does have a USB port.

Thanks.

No problem, glad I could help.

I really have no idea about Mac's. You might consider opening a new thread with your question. I'm sure if you say you have requirements like:

Needs to work with eMac for waypoint transfer

Under or around $100

someone may come up with something.

Pat@Play,

#1 Yes, you may install MapCreate on several computers, as long as you have a CD to run it from.

#2 In order to install Maps to a SD card, you must use the Lowrance branded reader. For other data, like .usr files (GPS data) you may use your Laptops SD reader.

Thanks for your information. The answer for #2 was what I had discovered on my own but I thought others might have been writing .lcm map files to a generic reader. Not a big deal but now I know for sure.

Thanks again to you and the others that have been kind enough to share your information with us.

Anyone out there able to help me with a problem. I downloaded the latetest Jepessen Aviation database from LEI Extra and when I use the Jepessen unlock wizard to unlock the file the web connection is made to the LEI or Lowrance server not sure which then after a pause returns with 'Unknown Error' and disconects.

The SD being used is in a LEI MMC/SD Card Reader and Mapcreate 6.3 can read the old database file and display it so I figure the card is registered and I am able to read and write to the SD card via the card reader as I used the unlock wizard a while ago to load a Jepessen database which is now out of date.

I have tried emailing LEI Extra but I'm not getting any sort of reply to my enquiries. I have a copy of the error report but its in computer speak and means very little to me.

The only difference between unlocking the old database and the new one is I have changed my machine but I dont think that should make any difference as Mapcreate can read and write to the SD card and I can download directly to the card but cannot unlock the data contained within the card

I have re installed Mapcreate, checked the correct driver is loaded, checked the card reader firmware is up to date and even loaded the whole lot onto a laptop and everything works including the old database except I cannot unlock the new database.

Any help or thoughts you may have for a newby to this forum would be much appreciated.

Pat@Play,

I can plug a registered card in my HP laptop card reader and MapCreate has no trouble finding it.

Anyone out there able to help me with a problem. I downloaded the latetest Jepessen Aviation database from LEI Extra and when I use the Jepessen unlock wizard to unlock the file the web connection is made to the LEI or Lowrance server not sure which then after a pause returns with 'Unknown Error' and disconects.

The SD being used is in a LEI MMC/SD Card Reader and Mapcreate 6.3 can read the old database file and display it so I figure the card is registered and I am able to read and write to the SD card via the card reader as I used the unlock wizard a while ago to load a Jepessen database which is now out of date.

I have tried emailing LEI Extra but I'm not getting any sort of reply to my enquiries. I have a copy of the error report but its in computer speak and means very little to me.

The only difference between unlocking the old database and the new one is I have changed my machine but I dont think that should make any difference as Mapcreate can read and write to the SD card and I can download directly to the card but cannot unlock the data contained within the card

I have re installed Mapcreate, checked the correct driver is loaded, checked the card reader firmware is up to date and even loaded the whole lot onto a laptop and everything works including the old database except I cannot unlock the new database.

Any help or thoughts you may have for a newby to this forum would be much appreciated.

Are you running the latest version of the Jepp unlock wizard?

This may require you to call the Lowrance tech support line. (800)324-1356. I've been getting through to them with a hold time averaging 40 min ;);) on a different issue.

Z

I am having an issue with SD cards that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I purchased two 2GB SD cards and went ahead and registered them. Now it seems my iFinder will only support 1GB cards.

Admittedly, I should have done more research before I registered 2 now useless cards but what's done is done. :P

My question is: How can I reset my registered card count to remove the 2GB cards?

Any help would be appreciated. :P

WOW what a great topic, and tons of great tips! Thanks to all.

Q: I just got my Expidition C for my B'day and I'm concerned with the volume of the MP3 player. Even with my good headphones, and the volume all the way up, I cant hear it over my little boat motor. Is it me or should I send it in for a check-up?

Then again, I'm in San Diego if someone want to meet and compair Exp C's I can do that too.

thanks in Adv.

Robert

I'm having an issue with the 12v car adapter for my iFinder.

It shuts down after a couple of hours while plugged in to the 12v outlet in my truck. The adapter is usually warm to the touch when this happens and works fine after 10 to 30 minutes.

This is the second power adapter that I've had this issue with.

Is there a thermal protection device in the adapter?

Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it?

If it's heat related, would (carefully!) drilling some small ventilation holes in the adapter case help?

Any input appreciated.

I'm having an issue with the 12v car adapter for my iFinder.

It shuts down after a couple of hours while plugged in to the 12v outlet in my truck. The adapter is usually warm to the touch when this happens and works fine after 10 to 30 minutes.

This is the second power adapter that I've had this issue with.

Is there a thermal protection device in the adapter?

Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it?

If it's heat related, would (carefully!) drilling some small ventilation holes in the adapter case help?

Any input appreciated.

We recently went on a one week road trip. It was plugged into the 12 volt up to 10 hours, no problem. Maybe check to see your truck plug is more than 12-13 volts. I have a volt meter and sometimes it runs as much as 14.5 volts as we are driving along. I don't remember it getting hot. If there is no warranty, a little ventilation would not hurt. That's what I would try. What have you got to loose? Good luck.

I read all the posts about Mapcreate. I am confused. I want to enter detailed topographic maps of the areas I go hunting and fishing. From what I have read, the topo maps of Canada on the cards that Lowrance sells are not that good. They are better for the U.S. but for Canada, it's not the case.

I read that Mapcreate allows the user to "create maps". What do they mean by this? I can download very nice topographic maps on my computer directly from the Canadian governement site. Can I download these detailed topographic maps to an iFinder Pro with the mapcreate program?

Hi! I asked this in the GSAK forum as well, thought Id try here also.(andanywhere else i can get help) Am using GSAK loving it. I use the Export to Lowrance utility to generate waypoints to my SD card. I used the same card several times to send data to my GPS as I was teaching myself how to do this. I did this several times Now i am getting this error message" Error sending waypoints. Lowrance cannot open USR to write Error was permission denied" Put a different unused card in and it worked; no error message. Unfortunately, its a 2GB card that wont work in my GPS. Does Lowrance put a limit to how much you can use one card? ill have to go get another card to see if it works. Would rather figure this out before spending more. I should be able to overwrite SD cards continously correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey! Found my problem! Lock on SD card engaged works fine now!

Edited by northmark999

The Freedom maps SD card is locked. Yes, there is space to add waypoints and tracks but the free space is limited. I haven't used my iFinder Pro very much yet so I haven't limited out on the free space in my GPS unit yet. However, I will be using an empty 512 meg SD card in a card reader for transfering tracks and waypoints to my PC. I will soon buy a pc cable to allow me to download tracks and waypoints directly from my GPS to my PC.

Edited by phern47

I read all the posts about Mapcreate. I am confused. I want to enter detailed topographic maps of the areas I go hunting and fishing. From what I have read, the topo maps of Canada on the cards that Lowrance sells are not that good. They are better for the U.S. but for Canada, it's not the case.

I read that Mapcreate allows the user to "create maps". What do they mean by this? I can download very nice topographic maps on my computer directly from the Canadian governement site. Can I download these detailed topographic maps to an iFinder Pro with the mapcreate program?

I'm using a Lowrance H2OC with Canadian Maps on a SD card from Lowrance. They are great maps but I can say there are two versions and the new version is a way better deal. Get the EX series, there are only 2 for Canada. Canada East and Canada West. $150 SRP Ea. The older maps are very small compared to the EX series. I think there are 3 for PQ alone and they are $100SRP Ea. Many retailers are trying to get rid of thier inventory of these older cards since they got stuck with them when the new versions were released. Now nobody wants the old ones and the retailers won't buy new ones. Ask for them or shop around.

Map Create software has the same maps as the cards but you can take smaller parts of the maps and load them from your computer to a SD card in your GPS. This is less expensive than the preloaded cards as you get all of Canada for the price of the software. $150 SRP but you need to load cards of the areas your traveling in. Unfortunately there's no way to get the free government maps to work for you in these units. (That I've seen).

In short. I'm impressed with the CanadaEX Topo Maps, and I don't have to deal with the hassles described in most of the posts in this thread on CD maps. I was trying to get a copy of the US West EX map on a trip through the western States. None of the stores were stocking the SD EX Maps. They all said the same thing. Why would you buy 5 states on a card when you can get the whole USA for the same price on CD. This thread is the reason I didn't want the CD version. And I was only visiting those 5 states! LOL Good Luck.

Thanks Manwithbeers, very informative.

I have done more things with my IFinder Pro in the last few days. One thing I did was upgrade the thing. Since the upgrade from the Lowrance site would not work, Lowrance sent me the upgrade program via e-mail. Wow....much more info on the map now.

There are 2 maps for Quebec. One for south of the 53 parallel and the other is for north of the 53 parallel. The map covers from the Ontario border all the way east to cover all of New Brunswick and maybe even a bit further east of that. Anyway, it's perfect for my use for now.

I only paid 90 dollars for the IFinder, car cable, external passive antenna, plastic screen protector, case and Freedom map. The GPS only had 2000 miles on the odometer. It was used only once for a trip to southern U.S. Shipping was 13 dollars. I am very delighted with my buy. I am still trying to find out a way to reset the odometer to zero.

When travelling the small roads in my area, I can see that I pass very close to many small lakes that I did not even know existed. Even the roads accessible only by ATV are on the maps. Rarely are any of the small roads and streets are off by more than a few feet.

When walking, I get my walking speed as soon as I start walking. When standing still, the unit quickly goes to zero.

I own a Lowrance iFinder H2Oc and am having trouble loading waypoints from GSAK onto it. I have done it before successfully, but cannot add new waypoints as I keep getting the error message that there isn't sufficient memory, but I check the Free Storage and it is showing only 23% used. I am using a 2GB SD card.

Is there a way to mass delete waypoints as I think that might help if I were to remove a number I have on there from previous trips.

Thanks!

I own a Lowrance iFinder H2Oc and am having trouble loading waypoints from GSAK onto it. I have done it before successfully, but cannot add new waypoints as I keep getting the error message that there isn't sufficient memory, but I check the Free Storage and it is showing only 23% used. I am using a 2GB SD card.

Is there a way to mass delete waypoints as I think that might help if I were to remove a number I have on there from previous trips.

Thanks!

My unit once goofed up on the memory, it would claim it was full but the memory would have a negative percentage value. But from your post I guess your right and just have too many waypoints loaded.

There are two ways to store waypoints, and they have to work together but are stored separately.

Active memory is what is currently loaded on the unit and being displayed. SD card memory holds the files to load data to the active memory. You can load more than one file, but if you save the data it will be stored as one file.

You can have up to 1,000 waypoints in "active memory" or loaded on the unit at any given time. If you try to load more than 1,000 you will get a warning message.

In System Settings should be a option to "Delete all Waypoints" (I think the key sequence is: Menu -> Menu-> System Settings -> Delete all waypoints)

On your card you can have as many waypoint files as will fit, but each should only have 1,000 waypoints or less. Say you have two files with 500 waypoints, both can be loaded at the same time, but no more waypoints can be loaded after that. You will have to delete all waypoints to load a new set.

May be more info than you wanted, but hope that helps.

Edited by Airmapper

I've got a problem with Mapcreate and doing a search for an address using the Find function.

This part is using the software on the PC:

I put in the building number, street number and it comes back with the message that there were too many results. It shows the first 20, but they're all over the country. When I add the State filter, it ignores that and still gives me results from all over the country. When I add my Town it comes back saying no results found. On the map I can zoom in far enough and I get a little popup that shows what I want to search for, so I know I'm using the right street name format.

This part searching through the GPS unit:

When I search by street and town I get no responses. When I change the town to a county name, It does find the result. That doesn't do much good when looking for something like Main Street though.

My application is for aviation banner towing. We get jobs like the "Will you marry me" where we have to fly over a particular address. We didn't want turn-by-turn driving instructions, so the Lowrance Airmap 2000 and the Mapcreate software seemed like a good fit for that application.

I posted this question over at the newsgroup rec.aviation.gps, and got a reply that it was searching properly for that person, but he couldn't offer guidance on what I could try to get it right. I've installed the software on 3 different machines, all with the same result.

The groundhog didn't see his shadow here in Connecticut, so the spring banner towing season should be starting soon! :lol:

Thanks for any help.

Searching an address will get you close, but it's never really dead on. Really most programs that try to put a street address into concrete coordinates aren't always that accurate. The road I live on will throw a GPS or mapping program every time since there is a difference in the name the road is called, and the way it is in the database.

MapCreate is a program with a lot of good intentioned features that never really got refined to the point of being reliable. If you can use a program like Google Earth or even Google maps, I think it might work out better and be more accurate.

Searching an address will get you close, but it's never really dead on.

Well the application is towing a banner behind an aircraft so even if it's off by 500', that's fine. The airplane is 1000' above any structure on the ground, and the turn diameter is about 3000'. The problem is that Mapcreate won't say it finds anything I search for, even major addresses like 100 Main Street in a particular city.

If you can use a program like Google Earth or even Google maps, I think it might work out better and be more accurate.

True, but what I'm looking for is compass direction guidance while in the aircraft.

Thanks,

Paul

Searching an address will get you close, but it's never really dead on.

Well the application is towing a banner behind an aircraft so even if it's off by 500', that's fine. The airplane is 1000' above any structure on the ground, and the turn diameter is about 3000'. The problem is that Mapcreate won't say it finds anything I search for, even major addresses like 100 Main Street in a particular city.

If you can use a program like Google Earth or even Google maps, I think it might work out better and be more accurate.

True, but what I'm looking for is compass direction guidance while in the aircraft.

Thanks,

Paul

Using an app like Google Earth to plan the flight will find you the address your looking for. Use the coordinates from Google Earth by placing the mouse pointer over the address and take the coordinates from the bottom of the page (Lat,Lon). Use those to create a waypoint at those coordinates in the GPSr. When you fly over the waypoint set your GPSr zoom level to 1.5 Miles and place the crosshair/cursor over the waypoint. From that you will be able to see your position in relation to to the waypoint and then as long as you can see your position arrow on the screen you know you are within 3000 feet of the waypoint. I hope I explained that well enough. It's just what I would do. The downside is that you will eventually get a nag screen asking if you still want the cursor displayed.

I just received my Lowrance Expedition C and I am wondering if anyone can help me on how to enter in Lat/Lon cords if I have them.

Also to summarize what I have been reading, I can plan trips on Google Maps and then export the data, then load it into my iFinder? Is this correct?

Also has anyone used Microsoft MapPoint to load files?

Thanks

Press "Ent" twice to call up the menu to enter a waypoint. If you want to enter your own coordinates (such as for a cache), select the "Entered Position" option and it will take you to a screen to input the coordinates. There are other options to enter a waypoint for your current position, projected position, averaged position, etc.

I've never used Google maps or MapPoint to create and export routes, so I can't field the second part of your question. You have to end up with a .usr file to load into the iFinder, though. Maybe this is a native export for these programs or maybe you can export to another format and convert the file to a .usr using something like GPSBabel.

I bought a used once iFinder Pro w/ MapCreate 6. The owner misplaced the LEI reader. Only afterward have i learned that i need it. Ugh. sick3qx.gif

I know this thread has been around a while. Is there <still> no way to bypass the card reader?

I have no cards registered. Are the cards registered to a particular PC or do they connect online? If you use more than one pc is it 5 cards for each PC? Not that it matters if you don't have a card reader...

Is there any way at all to get maps into this without mapcreate?

I bought a used once iFinder Pro w/ MapCreate 6. The owner misplaced the LEI reader. Only afterward have i learned that i need it. Ugh. sick3qx.gif

I know this thread has been around a while. Is there <still> no way to bypass the card reader?

I have no cards registered. Are the cards registered to a particular PC or do they connect online? If you use more than one pc is it 5 cards for each PC? Not that it matters if you don't have a card reader...

Is there any way at all to get maps into this without mapcreate?

I use a cheap Optex card reader for my IFinder Pro. However, I have a Freedom Map card and not Mapcreate.

Hello,

is there a way to make changes to Mapcreat6.3?

for example; Castaic Lake in California shows a couple of main roads going right through the lake:(. It kind of sucks because I bought Mapcreate and FishingHotSpots just so I can use them specifically on Castaic Lake.

thank you.

Conrad

As long as you don't try to drive on them I don't see a problem.

Hello,

is there a way to make changes to Mapcreat6.3?

for example; Castaic Lake in California shows a couple of main roads going right through the lake:(. It kind of sucks because I bought Mapcreate and FishingHotSpots just so I can use them specifically on Castaic Lake.

thank you.

Conrad

As long as you don't try to drive on them I don't see a problem.

That's true! I guess i was just getting alittle anal, lol thx buddy

Alright so I've done a lot of searching and not getting many if any results. This thread is the most promising.

My problem is this; Mapcreate 7 doesn't show aviation data. It shows airports, but none of the other Jeppesen aviation data (navaids, airspace..etc). There are no menus for them, although the manual says there should be. One call to tech support and she told me that mapcreat7 doesn't support this. How can that be? How can older versions show it but not the newest? My Airmap600c reads/shows the data fine. I've tried the MMC card in the LEI reader, as well as my built in one. I've also tried copying the JepAmr.at5 to the various Mapcreate folders. I can see how maybe if I add some references to the JepAmr.at5 file in the MapRegistry.bin or MasterDefinitionLibrary.dat files I might have some success, but that procedure is a little beyond me. It shouldn't be this hard.

Do I need to get an older version of Mapcreate??

Thanks

Your best bet to replace the copy-protected CD would be for another user here to b sell or donte one to you. You might also post a "Want To Buy" posting in the Garage Sale forum.

I vaguely recall there was a hack available to get the progress to bypass the "Insert CD" prompt. But it's been so long since I've had one of these that I ight not be remembering correctly, could have been for a different product.

Edited by user13371

Do someone still have a copy of the OneTimeSerialPurge.exe utility file used to reset Lowrance MapCreate software? I called the tech support guys at Lowrance and they sent me to a new ftp site they created but, the file was not carried over from the old ftp site. It may be that the utility has been irrevocably erased at Lowrance. I was told by the tech rep that he would 'send up a flare' in the office to see if anyone had a copy but, he did not sound real hopeful. Thanks for helping out!