"waypoints"

Cache Pack

A suggestion how I might solve this problem. Being fairly new to GSAK, no problem doing a pocket quarie in which I would like to see waypoints closest to my home coords. I request in the PQ, that I would like 500 wps in a 100 mile radius, when they are downloaded to GSAK, I can only get within 28.8 miles from my home coords. I would like to learn how to do a filter that I can get more waypts in a certain direction (like 100 miles from my home). Not sure if this request is in the right place in the forum. Thks. ;)

In GSAK's filter window, click on the OTHER tab.

Once there, choose the appropriate direction

in the BEARING frame in the right of the window.

I personnaly like to use the adjoining bearings as well.

That is to say, if I need South-East, I select S, SE & E.

For remote caches, it does included needless ones,

but for close caches, it includes some that are

a little South or East of South-East,

but that are not such a detour being so close.

Edited by blackjack65
You can only get 500 waypoints in a single PQ.  If you are asking for the closest caches up to 100 miles away, you may only need the first 29 miles to max out.

Expanding on Embra's information. If you truly want the caches out to 100 miles, you'll have to add some filters to your PQ.

That is, do you search for 5-star difficulty or 5-star terrain caches? No? Then filter them out. Do you like virtual caches? No? Filter them out.

Probably this sort of filtering won't exclude enough caches for you to reach out to 100 miles. It sounds like you live in a fairly cache dense area. In that case, you'll have to request multiple PQs to cover the same area.

The best way to do this, in my opinion, is by date placed. For your first query, set the dates from January 1, 2000 until December 31, 2002 (for example). Then you'll need a query from January 1, 2003 until July 31, 2003, etc.

You'll have to use the preview feature to fine-tune the dates. Keep in mind that the maximum number of caches you can receive in a PQ is 500, so if your preview is returning exactly 500, it probably means you're missing some caches. You want your preview to return something like 480. That is, you want to stay under the limit.

Now when you load all these caches into GSAK (there will be a bunch) you can filter them by direction like you wanted, out to 100 miles. (Or whatever distance you choose)

Heck, why limit yourself to just 100 miles? The PQ generator can be set up to go out to 500 miles.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z