The Undiscovered Country...

The Golem

Hi

Apologies for the Star Trek title, what I really want to know is are there any elusive caches in the UK that have taken loads of visits before they were found...

To be honest, I 'm specifically interested in this cache, does anyone know if it is actually there. ;)

I have contacted the owner but I'm still waiting for a response....

Edited by The Golem

This one I think will stay MIA, there are a number of issues with this cache:-

It was placed in Apr05 but not published till Aug05

Its rated 2 star for difficulty but no one has found it

There has been no comment from the owner, after 6 non finds which may also indicate that the owner isn't maintaining the cache

The regulars like Fellsmanwalker have not attempted the cache which may indicate that they as not sure on the cache being valid.

In the summer I attempted 3 caches (found 2) in that area and the high ones are were difficult so it maybe a case of it's well hidden - but I'm not looking for it till someone else finds it

You can see the route I took here:-

http://www35.websamba.com/lakeuk/walk.htm

If you get no answer from the cache owner then it's probable best to ask for it to be archived

Now how come someone In Poole (Dorset) has a cache in Cumbria? Doesn't say he has a caretaker (though not essential I know).

Well I would only consider going to look if I was walking in the area, not a bad area to go for a walk, go see if you can be the First to Find, but don't hold much hope for this.

It says cache was hidden Hidden: 16 April 2005 but only approved on 13th August! Now he might have hidden waited to see it was still there on a return journey, but still this Poole conection is baffeling

Milton (aka Moote)

He must have chosen this location because there was something "special" about it. At the end of the day, even if I don't find it it's still gonna be worth a walk...

Not much up there from what I remember, (25 years since been around Coniston area) but I think that the clue might be of help if you have not peek at it already. And what this about taking a Tent! You planning to live there?

Would be a great walk as you say so the day would not be a waste.

Milton (aka Moote)

PS placing that cache near MHH (Wendover) ;) soon might leave it a week or 2 but will send you the details

I was going to contact the authorities but I thought I'd wait and see... B)

Now Lactodorum, while you're here, is there a reason the cache was placed in April but not approved until August?

Something that just occured to me, if I tried to find the cache but couldn't, would it be ok to leave one there and "hijack" the location?

If I did that anyway would anyone be any the wiser? ;)

Edited by The Golem
Now Lactodorum, while you're here, is there a reason the cache was placed in April but not approved until August?

Dunno!

Something that just occured to me, if I tried to find the cache but couldn't, would it be ok to leave one there and "hijack" the location?

No :ninja:

But if and when the cache were archived, the location immediately "opens up" for new cache submissions.

Hmmm, interesting... I'll go and have a look, if I can't find anything I'll request that it's archived. I'll hide a cache there anyway in the hope it gets approved... :ninja:

Cheers.

Hiding a cache there in the hope that it gets approved, IS hijacking the location, as people may find your cache thinking it is the other one. This is why you are not allowed to place next to other caches, it isn't just about saturation?

Wait until it gets archived then place one there.

Hmmm, interesting... I'll go and have a look, if I can't find anything I'll request that it's archived. I'll hide a cache there anyway in the hope it gets approved... :ninja:

Cheers.

Hiding a cache there in the hope that it gets approved, IS hijacking the location, as people may find your cache thinking it is the other one. This is why you are not allowed to place next to other caches, it isn't just about saturation?

Wait until it gets archived then place one there.

1. I wouldn't leave the cache on top of the previous cache location, I would leave it outside the 0.1 mile "exclusion zone" to avoid "hijacking" the location.

2. I am not going to make 2 trips up a fellside if 1 is enough. If another trip is later required for maintenance so be it...

3. Mind your own business... :ninja:

Update:

I received this private message today:

"Hi, Although I do not contribute to the forum,I do have a look from time to time,and I noticed your querey on the Jonny English cache,well I contacted J E about a month ago regarding the cache ie. does he think it's still there,his reply in as many words was that he does not think it is as it should have been an easy find."

Edited by The Golem
3. If the location wasn't approved what have I lost? A lunchbox, some little toys and a bit of stationery.

Sorry but that sounds like your saying that if you place a cache there and don't get to list on here. Your just going to abandon it? If your not prepared to retrieve it if approval is refused, you shouldn't even be considering leaving a cache there.

Dave

3. If the location wasn't approved what have I lost? A lunchbox, some little toys and a bit of stationery.

Sorry but that sounds like your saying that if you place a cache there and don't get to list on here. Your just going to abandon it? If your not prepared to retrieve it if approval is refused, you shouldn't even be considering leaving a cache there.

Dave

I see your point.... :ninja:

Original post edited to remove the offending line. I will of course remove the cache if it doesn't get approval.