Enforcing Policy

RangerKim

Thank you so much for sharing your policies and applications with me. Now, tell me about the policy violations you have experienced and how they were handeled. I will be teaching a class at the North Carolina Park Ranger Training Institute on developing a policy and an application. We will also be discussing how to handle policy violaters. Please share your stories. Thanks again, Rangerkim

There is a county park system that I work with, after they discovered Geocaches were in their parks and a policy was created there were some new caches that were placed without permission. The first few e-mails were a little overly stern when the cache owners were contacted. One of the things I would encourage is that after you have created a policy there is going time before the approvers get a complete handle on what land is covered. So if a new cache pops up, send a polite e-mail asking the owner to archive their cache and who they can contact about getting permission.

Another thing that has worked with a number of agencies here in Pennsylvania is they have a graphic, like the department logo and the word "approved cache" or something of that nature(See example hereIts on the right side of the page, just below the TB listings).

This is a great way to let people know that you need to get permission to place a cache. I'd suggest you include a link to your Geocaching policy so people can find it easily.

Keep in mind that just because you create a policy that allows Geocaching does not mean the workd is going to get out to everyone.

Edited by magellan315

Before the policies were put into place in Illinois Department of Natural Resources properties there were caches placed on a Conservation area, a wildlife management area and an archaeological site by the same person. When the land managers found out about the caches they Emailed the cache owner and he archived them and retrieved the cache.

Another cache I am familiar with, the ranger left a note in the cache box and other cachers notified the owner to contact the ranger.

Any time I have seen a cache that violates polices or good cache placement procedures, I notify the cache owner with my concerns. I try to offer them solutions to meet the policies or contact information for the land manager so they can get approval for their placement.

I had a cache near a fuel storage facility and I was contacted by member of Homeland Security, that was also a cacher. He requested that I post a notice that it was an area that was monitored and anyone visiting the cache should carry proper Id, a copy of the cache page, and limit the number of electronic (PDAs, Digital Cameras), Binoculars and other gadgets when searching this caches. And if they were visited my the police to be honest and cooperative because they were just doing their job.

When a land manager has adopted a published geocaching policy, the volunteer cache reviewer can validate compliance with the policy when someone submits a new geocache to be listed on Geocaching.com. If a permit is required, the cache will not be listed unless and until the cache owner obtains the permit. If the cache is in an off-limits area, the owner is asked to retrieve the cache and it won't be published.

As a cache reviewer, I keep track of more than 25 land manager policies in my review territory. While a few caches may slip past me unintentionally, I do catch policy violations week in and week out. I also work with the local geocaching associations to make sure that geocachers are aware of these policies.

Similarly, if a cache is listed in compliance with a land manager policy, but later runs afoul of it, a Geocaching.com volunteer cache reviewer can be of assistance. A concerned geocacher or the land manager can leave a note on the cache page or send me an e-mail, if there's an issue like a social trail developing, or the cache staying in place beyond the stated duration of the permit.

Because of this, I hope you'll see that users of this listing service are a self-policing community. There is little reason for a land manager to get involved in policy enforcement if the community takes care of the problems themselves.

When a land manager has adopted a published geocaching policy, the volunteer cache reviewer can validate compliance with the policy when someone submits a new geocache to be listed on Geocaching.com. If a permit is required, the cache will not be listed unless and until the cache owner obtains the permit. If the cache is in an off-limits area, the owner is asked to retrieve the cache and it won't be published.[

We have had no recent policy violations to deal within our IDNR park. When the policy first went into effect, all cache owners were notified and we were able to tell them immediately whether or not their cache was in an acceptable location. Those that had to be relocated outside our nature preserve portion of the property did so promptly. Everyone else submitted their permits.

Since then we have not had to deal with any caches that were a problem, or tried to be snuck into the park. As Keystone mentioned, our volunteer reviewer is aware of the IDNR policy and asks for proof that the submitted cache has been approved, which eases my mind about a new cache popping up that I would have to scramble to inspect/archive/or remove it.

Before the year permit expires, I will check for bad social trails and will be able to tell the cache owner whether or not they will need to relocate it some, or just repermit it.

I know in NY State Parks they have begun actively removing caches that are not in compliance. Personally, I think its a waste of resources going after tupperware hidden in the woods, while illegal ATVers, dumpers and poachers have free rein. But what do I know? I'm only a taxpayer.

I can tell you one way not to handle it and that is to remove caches without telling anyone. If the goal of removing a cache is to protect an area, then causing people go there and search longer and wider for a cache that is sitting on your desk is counterproductive. Instead, register on this website and if you remove a cache, always post a note or a "needs archived" log.

It looks likes the most common problem is unauthorised traditional cashe placements. Let me share one with you. A fellow Ranger for a South Carolina Park attended my class last year at the North Carolina Park Ranger Training Institute. After the class,he asked me to help him figure out what he had in his park. We discovered a cache that had been placed in a "Stay on the Trail" area. A cacher had buried his dog (slightly illegal) in this area, placed a grave marker and made it a virtual cache. The cacher was ticketed for illegal disposal of a carcus and leaving the trail in a restricted area causing damage to a sensitive environment. He also had to remove his dog.

Edited by RangerKim
It looks likes the most common problem is unauthorised traditional cashe placements.

If this website is made aware of of a park's regulations and policies, the reviewers will try their best to make sure they are followed. Every once in a while one may slip through. The maps the reviewers use aren't always up to date. But they will never intentionally allow a cache to be placed if it does not comply with local policy.

If there is no policy, then its hard to make the case a cache is unauthorized. Many land managers are aware of geocaching on their land, see no problem with it and do not want to be involved with regulating it. So the sport has their tacit approval. I know of some park rangers in NY state parks who think the idea of regulating geocaching is ridiculious and a waste of their time (of course there are also others who see it as a scourge on the level of strip mining).

Edited by briansnat