Another Cache Rating System!

While everyone has their minds set on cache rating systems, may I remind you of the cahcing rating system at the Handicaching website?

Now, if everyone just popped over there now and honestly rated the last cache they completed according to the given criteria it would greatly help myself and others when choosing caches to attempt.

Please?

Go on, just do it, think of it as an early Christmas present to me and everyone else who needs accurate terrain info before they set out.

While on the subject, can I remind cache setters about the Attributes section available to you on your cache pages? These help to see at a glance whether caches are wheelchair accessible or not.

I love caching and spend a lot of time researching caches to attempt, but if everyone spent a few moments extra you could really make a difference!

Seasonal wishes and thanks to you all!

:D:D:P

Wendy

I have rated my accessible ones as such, should I also rate my less accessible one?

Milton

Yes, that may well be a good plan Milton, at least then, when someone checks they can see it has been rated as probably inaccessible, rather than seeing nothing, which might simply mean the cache setter didn't think about access at all, and it may or may not be accessible...if you see what I mean?

Now, if everyone just popped over there now and honestly rated the last cache they completed according to the given criteria it would greatly help myself and others when choosing caches to attempt.

I think the problem with the handicaching website is that you have to fill out a questionaire for each cache you do, it's not just a tick for it.

With all the best intentions in the world, people don't and won't fill out a questionaire for every cache that they find.

I too am a culprit of this, as is most other cachers, but like many others I do have my own caches rated and a link supplied on the cache page.

I know this isn't the answer that you may want, but it is the reality of the culture in which we live. :D

I'm planning a set of caches - themed - for children to do... (Though grown up cachers! wouldn't be barred!).

If I have a say 3 mile long route thats suitable for wheelchairs, flat, stunning views and very interesting landscape.

For kids.. I was going to have several micros on the way, to keep them interested.

What can I add to make this ideal for Wheelchair users?

What do I need to remember?

I think the problem with the handicaching website is that you have to fill out a questionaire for each cache you do, it's not just a tick for it.

With all the best intentions in the world, people don't and won't fill out a questionaire for every cache that they find.

I too am a culprit of this, as is most other cachers, but like many others I do have my own caches rated and a link supplied on the cache page.

I know this isn't the answer that you may want, but it is the reality of the culture in which we live. :D

HH

Just done 5 caches in less than 30 mins, no form or anything just drop down boxes, admittedly there is a comments box but it allows you to ignore it.

Milton

No but - if every cache was rated by at least one person - then that would produce some data to indicate if the cache was accessible to a wheelchair or a less mobile person.

I'm slowly adding my caches to the list... Though that said.. only 1 of my 20 caches would be wheelchair friendly. Makes you think - dosen't it.

My "handicap" is vertigo - I have a dreadful fear of falling from a great height. Several Cornish caches are on the rather delightful Coast path, the majority of which I'm quite happy with... others I can't get anywhere near. Yet to non sufferers it's not a problem - so it's never mentioned on the cache pages.

I'm planning a set of caches - themed - for children to do... (Though grown up cachers! wouldn't be barred!).

If I have a say 3 mile long route thats suitable for wheelchairs, flat, stunning views and very interesting landscape.

For kids.. I was going to have several micros on the way, to keep them interested.

What can I add to make this ideal for Wheelchair users?

What do I need to remember?

Well, if it were me attempting to do the series, the sort of info that might be very useful to me would be:

Total distance involved?

Is it possible to do part of the series and come back to it later, i.e. can any of the caches except the first be reached by car?

Are the cache boxes far off the paths...could you conceivably reach them when sitting down?

Are there any stiles involved, if yes, is there an alternative route?

Kissing gates? Gates locked with RADAR keys?

Terrain wise, I would be looking to avoid major hills, having to cross streams, use stepping stones etc.

So info about any of these aspects would be useful to me. Quite a lot of this detail can be relayed via the rating system at the Handicaching site though.

I once did a multi and I'd got all the clues answered, I set off for the find only to come across a locked barrier 400 m from the cache. It had a RADAR lock and just by chance I had my key, but others might not have done, and there was not a word about it on the cache page.

People with disabilities use different types of wheeled transport, I myself vary between a roadworthy electric scooter, a manual wheelchair, a manual wheelchair with Power Trike attached and an all singing all dancing off road electric scooter. Why am I telling you this? So that everyone realises that it would be almost impossible to say for sure whether something is accessible to all, merely to advise on the terrain and depending on the individual it is then up to them as to whether or not to tackle any particular cache.

Hope that helps ;)

;)B) Our Merthyr Marathon Series of caches have a wheelchair friendly version should you ever feel sorry for Merthyr and want to pay it a visit - it really is a lovely place and the folk are very pleasant.

Ahah! I was in Merthyr just this past summer, walked (rolled) the Taff Trail from Abercanaid to Aberfan and back. Interesting walk, only saw one dog poo bin and that had been blown up by fireworks (yuck) and GeoDog, aka Caesar was attacked ... TWICE!

So, if I come back that way, I will for sure be looking out for your series, thanks for mentioning it B)

No but - if every cache was rated by at least one person - then that would produce some data to indicate if the cache was accessible to a wheelchair or a less mobile person.

Exactly my point Birdman. I often write to cache owners for info before I set off, but sometimes need info at short notice and they haven't logged in before I need it, or in some cases simply don't answer at all!

That's why I feel if people rated the last cache they did, it would surely be a start. ;)

Merthyr Marathon - Wheelchair Friendly Conversion

We had a wheel chair cacher in mind when we produced this simpler version.

The full version is available to any one who requests it by email.

The eight caches in the Merthyr Marathon series have a total of 53 stages, of which 35-45 are wheelchair accessible, depending on one's degree of mobility. This listing gives information on access to each virtual and regular cache location, key information from those sites which disabled people are unlikely to get to and details of the information which needs to be provided by email to Write and Mane in order to log a find.

We acknowledge that, in trying to help and advise those with restricted mobility, we suffer from being able-bodied. We would, therefore, appreciate any constructive feedback that will enable us to improve this listing.

The table is designed to suit those with a higher degree of mobility. If, after checking the listing, you feel that other stages are out of your reach, please contact us and we will provide further specific advice with the objective of enabling you to complete the series.

Edited by Write and Mane
While everyone has their minds set on cache rating systems, may I remind you of the cahcing rating system at the Handicaching website?

Please?

Go on, just do it, think of it as an early Christmas present to me and everyone else who needs accurate terrain info before they set out.

While on the subject, can I remind cache setters about the Attributes section available to you on your cache pages? These help to see at a glance whether caches are wheelchair accessible or not.

I love caching and spend a lot of time researching caches to attempt, but if everyone spent a few moments extra you could really make a difference!

Seasonal wishes and thanks to you all!

B);)B)

Sorry but no I am not going to do it!

If it's wheelchair friendly it is a 1. If its not a 1 read the description or ask the cache owner.

I have a wheelchair bound son (sorry if that is not politically correct) he wouldn't expect to be treated differently. He also didn't think much of the "Handi".

Like you said elsewheren Wendy read and keep up.

If it's wheelchair friendly it is a 1. If its not a 1 read the description or ask the cache owner.

I have a wheelchair bound son (sorry if that is not politically correct) he wouldn't expect to be treated differently. He also didn't think much of the "Handi".

I am not too sure where you are coming from on this one Tony.

It is possible for many wheelchair users to do caches rated beyond 1 ... I myself have done quite a few beyond 1. Also, as I see it, with no hard and fast rules about terrain ratings that is purely subjective on your part.

Don't forget that information would then be available to all who wish to have more details on the terrain, those with other difficulties etc.

The whole issue with the Handicaching website was done and dusted a couple of months ago on this very forum, the owner very kindly changed the wording on the whole site in order to be more acceptable to us Brits. I have no problem with the name of the site, I cannot really expect him to completely change his domain name and all that it involves and so on simply because of the name. Sometimes in life compromise is necessary, and I for one will not ignore a very useful resource simply because it does not have a name that I would have chosen myself.

With regard to reading descriptions or asking cache owners, further up this thread I have explained that often I would like to attempt a cache and for one reason or another the cache owner is unable to answer my enquiry before I wish to attempt the cache. If people rate caches as they go then it is not really that much of a burden.

Would I rather be treated differently than arrive within sight of a cache and find a stile in the way, forcing me to return home without logging or getting my hands on the box?

You bet I would like to be treated differently in that circumstance!

AND, before you say I cannot have it both ways, many people are not as agile as they once were and can enjoy a pleasant walk but cannot negotiate stiles and other obstacles.

Yes, I spend my life working towards inclusivity, but sometimes in life, one simpy has to be realistic. I'd rather there were a little respect for the differences in us all than have those who are differently able forced to stay at home and watch four walls!

All I am asking people to do is part with a little information, how bad is that? ;)

I am not too sure where you are coming from on this one Tony.

It is possible for many wheelchair users to do caches rated beyond 1 ... I myself have done quite a few beyond 1. Also, as I see it, with no hard and fast rules about terrain ratings that is purely subjective on your part.

Don't forget that information would then be available to all who wish to have more details on the terrain, those with other difficulties etc.

The whole issue with the Handicaching website was done and dusted a couple of months ago on this very forum, the owner very kindly changed the wording on the whole site in order to be more acceptable to us Brits. I have no problem with the name of the site, I cannot really expect him to completely change his domain name and all that it involves and so on simply because of the name. Sometimes in life compromise is necessary, and I for one will not ignore a very useful resource simply because it does not have a name that I would have chosen myself.

With regard to reading descriptions or asking cache owners, further up this thread I have explained that often I would like to attempt a cache and for one reason or another the cache owner is unable to answer my enquiry before I wish to attempt the cache. If people rate caches as they go then it is not really that much of a burden.

Would I rather be treated differently than arrive within sight of a cache and find a stile in the way, forcing me to return home without logging or getting my hands on the box?

You bet I would like to be treated differently in that circumstance!

AND, before you say I cannot have it both ways, many people are not as agile as they once were and can enjoy a pleasant walk but cannot negotiate stiles and other obstacles.

Yes, I spend my life working towards inclusivity, but sometimes in life, one simpy has to be realistic. I'd rather there were a little respect for the differences in us all than have those who are differently able forced to stay at home and watch four walls!

All I am asking people to do is part with a little information, how bad is that? B)

Totally possible without separatism.

BTW this is not necessarily my opinion but that of my son who suffers from duchenne xp21 muscular dystrophy and really does not want any more information than is available to anyone else.

He thinks caching is boring and stupid now but at 16 with 10 years in a wheelchair I kind of respect is opinion on not being treated differently. ;)

Tony, I am glad to see you have now injected a little humour into this. B)

I was getting rather puzzled, as when you were asked a question in the GAGB hustings along these lines last week, your reply was far less frank than it has been this evening . See here.

Really and truly there will be as many opinions about things among a community of people with disabilities as there will be in any other community.

More often than not, I cache alone ... save for the company of a pretty able dog, and a bit of local knowledge will mean the difference between me achieving a find and being thwarted along the way.

Think of it as wishing to check the fuel gauge on your car before you set off on a journey, it is always useful to know if barring all other perils you will be able to get there!

Of course inclusivity is important, but not at any cost. Imagine paralympians as an example.

I didn't see asking for people to work within an already established framework was such a big deal ... especially as I speak from personal experience! ;)

I didn't see asking for people to work within an already established framework was such a big deal ... especially as I speak from personal experience!

So does my lad!

However my posts are mostly fun and occasionally a little challenging!

I also did not care to expand on my point in the other forum as I was falling asleep and had been hanging around for many hours trying to respond to peoples questions.

Yours in fun but never afraid to challenge

Tony

Exactly my point Birdman. I often write to cache owners for info before I set off, but sometimes need info at short notice and they haven't logged in before I need it, or in some cases simply don't answer at all!

That's why I feel if people rated the last cache they did, it would surely be a start. :ninja:

Birdman this is exactly what I have done with my caches, and I have said so in my post.

What Dorsetgal & GeoDog want people to do is rate the last cache they have done, which to me is rate the caches you do from now on?

That is not the same as cache owners rating their own caches.

All I have done is state a horrible fact of life, people do not want to spend another 30 minutes rating caches after they have just spent over an hour writing them up.

For it to be a start you need to be aiming your plea at the cache owners and asking them to put the link onto their cache pages. Like this one

seal_rater2.gif

I wish this statement were true. In the last year we had reason to be limited to only the easiest terrain. One member of the party couldn't cope with stiles or very narrow, muddy paths or scrambles. The day was a complete flop. Most we could get most of the way there only to be met with a stile or a slag heap you had to climb to retrieve the cache or just totally impassible terrain. Had we been in an area we had known maybe it would have been better.

I got really angry when we were up in the lakes looking after our 2 year old nephew.

He loves caching, so we took him out, only after the 1st, he wanted a sleep. We put him in his buggy, and off we got to number 2... we'd chosen 1:1's for this reason, and the cache we went after was about a 0.75 walk from the parking. We got about 0.7 away, and I had to stay where I was with the litte'un as there's no way we'd have got the buggy closer...

When people set caches, I wish they'd bear that in mind too!!!

What Dorsetgal & GeoDog want people to do is rate the last cache they have done, which to me is rate the caches you do from now on?

Ok I misunderstood - I don't think it matters if the cache is rated by either the Cache owner or a Cacher - as long as its rated at least once by someone.

I really dont see why the "Handicaching" ratings can't be combined with the Normal Geocaching process of registering a new cache.

I agree - I'd be very unlikely to spend a day caching, spend an hour logging them all on Geocaching.com and then repeat the exercise on Handicaching.com.

However if the Geocaching log form had a set of tick boxes...

1) Is this cache Wheelchair/Child Buggy accesible Yes/No

Then I'd certainly answer yes/ No to that.

If one person rates a cache then it is just that, one persons opinion. However, if several people rate a cache then there is far more chance that all aspects will be considered.

If, per chance the cache setter has no idea of the abilities of any wheelchair user or anyone pushing a buggy, then their rating might not be the best it could be. However, if several people rate a cache some kind of level will show through...hopefully.

The handicaching site is very straightforward and it doesn't take anything like the length of time stated above to do.

Try it...time yourself! :P

If one person rates a cache then it is just that, one persons opinion. However, if several people rate a cache then there is far more chance that all aspects will be considered.

If, per chance the cache setter has no idea of the abilities of any wheelchair user or anyone pushing a buggy, then their rating might not be the best it could be. However, if several people rate a cache some kind of level will show through...hopefully.

The handicaching site is very straightforward and it doesn't take anything like the length of time stated above to do.

Try it...time yourself! :)

I agree with what you are saying, but what I am saying is that other than cache owners rating the caches themselves, people (except perhaps the odd one) just won't rate the caches.

I have had the Handicaching Seal on my cache pages for over a year, I have just checked all of them, and I am the only person to have rated my caches. So that is peoples attitude! and that is with there being a link to the site and cache to be rated. They just simply won't do it.

When I first rated all of mine I had 15 caches to do, it took me well over an hour to do them all. The problem is that there isn't just a tick in a box, it's a questionaire that you have to fill out.

I agree with Birdman, if when logging a cache it had a set of boxes to tick, then perhaps it would help, and it would get people rating the caches for the disabled.

Wendy, I'd appreciate some advice here with handicache ratings!

Our one and only cache so far has good parking close by, a flat reasonable path to the cache site, no styles, fences, or other obstacles. However, the final cache is about 10 feet from the path and in the usual woody bit, under log covered in ivy (I know, how boring... :) ) Sooo, how does this rate? My impression is that the very last bit isn't do-able, but would this not be the case with a lot of caches?

Could Learned Gerbil post his opinion, as he was FTF on this cache?

Thanks for any help - I'm keen to do this right, and I've put the handicache link on the site already!

Dave

I agree with Birdman, if when logging a cache it had a set of boxes to tick, then perhaps it would help, and it would get people rating the caches for the disabled.

The precursor to handicaching.com had lots of boxes to tick. I think there must have been about 20. The problem then becomes that people take one glance at the web page and see lots of options and tickboxes and just get overwhelmed. That system was never used and a complete failure.

We decided for handicaching.com to use drop down lists instead, aiming to make the form smaller and simpler to use.

It would be nice to integrate the handicaching.com system in with geocaching.com's cache submission process, but alas you will need to petition them for that. We've offered free code, etc. in the past but didn't get a response.

Andy

Wendy, I'd appreciate some advice here with handicache ratings!

Our one and only cache so far has good parking close by, a flat reasonable path to the cache site, no styles, fences, or other obstacles. However, the final cache is about 10 feet from the path and in the usual woody bit, under log covered in ivy (I know, how boring... :P ) Sooo, how does this rate? My impression is that the very last bit isn't do-able, but would this not be the case with a lot of caches?

Could Learned Gerbil post his opinion, as he was FTF on this cache?

Thanks for any help - I'm keen to do this right, and I've put the handicache link on the site already!

Dave

Ooh!

Now, I have approached this cache twice. Once from the Beverly in pitch darkness, and once from the opposite direction in bright sunshine. My impression of the accessability of the cache would be very different depending on the route. I need to think about this.

But that is part of the problem. One route is softer, the other harder. The softer route is less steep than the hard route. The hard route is longer than the soft route. Some disabled people would prefer the longer hard route, whilst others would prefer the shorter route. I will put some more thought into this, but it isn't straightforward.