Historic Things Proposal

I notice that under the "Historic Things" category, there are subcategories for "Historic Markers in Georgia" and "Historic Markers in Pennsylvania". I've been waiting to post "Historic Markers in New York" for about 18 months, even have the potential page written with some interesting links, but keep getting caught in the transitions (i.e. locationless moratorium on gc.com, followed by beta period on Waymarking...).

Two requests:

1) Perhaps there should be a subcategory in "Historic Things" called "Historic Markers", under which each of the states could be listed as (sub-subcategories?) as they're created, and

2) With or without the above, I'd like to be able to create a subcategory for "Historic Markers in New York" - any change of doing that now?

Thanks.

I've been itching for something similar; but have a site that would actually be a string of sites that are related to each other that crosses state boundaries. How would this subcategory(ies) work for such? I had wanted to start someone at the first site, and have them decode something to find the location for the second, and so on; until the last site (in a different state). Thoughts?

Also, can one assign multiple categories to waymarks? IE, the above might fit both historic and puzzle categories.

Otto

I like the proposal for subcategories of historical things by major political subdivisions (states in the USA and Mexico, provinces in Canada). But I also would like to see subcategories by type of historical thing (signs, monuments, park, etc.). However, this would require cross-listing of waymarks when they fit into two different types of subcategories. Has anybody thought about how to handle this?

I would like to see "Historical Markers of Arizona", since it is the state I live in and am most interested in. I have seen some markers in way out places here and would love to know of more.

Any possibilities of getting something of the sort some day. I am a history buff and would live to learn about the interesting places of this and other states.

I am very patient.

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs :laughing:

:huh: so, I'd like to post a few here in MY historical town. How about buildings like churches with large steeples seen from any point in town? ok. i know that doesn't work, but the building is 1922, even though it was established in 1892... how would that work, subcatagory-wise???

I could have sworn that I saw a Waymarking category a few weeks ago for Trains, cabooses, etc. that are now monuments.

Perhaps a subcategory for Historical Things should be for old steam engines, trains, etc.

(Not to say that it does really exist elsewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went back to look for it again...).