New Cache - Logging Etiquette?

Kathi & the Grouch

Went after a "new" cache today..... DNF :P altho we looked for about 1/2 an hour. It was very clear to us (by the thousands of footprints in the snow and freshly-dug areas around tree trunks) that we were not the first to LOOK! Nobody has logged on the cache page yet though.

So, here's the question: is it considered rude to post a DNF as the first log? Or -- is there some stealth strategy to not logging? (Other than being embarassed to log a DNF.) Nobody is "watching" the cache page either (altho, I'm guessing they are probably checking it manually).

What should we do?

Went after a "new" cache today..... DNF :P altho we looked for about 1/2 an hour. It was very clear to us (by the thousands of footprints in the snow and freshly-dug areas around tree trunks) that we were not the first to LOOK! Nobody has logged on the cache page yet though.

So, here's the question: is it considered rude to post a DNF as the first log? Or -- is there some stealth strategy to not logging? (Other than being embarassed to log a DNF.) Nobody is "watching" the cache page either (altho, I'm guessing they are probably checking it manually).

What should we do?

Whether it's the first log or not, a DNF is just as "justified" as a found log. For the cache owner, a DNF is a hint that the cache may need a visit, and in the case of a new cache, it might indicate one of the unfortunate errors everyone will make sooner or later.

So in short, go ahead and log a DNF, no matter if it's a new or old cache. If you are concerned about "Street cred", rest assured that most people will credit a DNF now and then higher than an unbroken string of found loggings.

Yeah, log the DNF. Here's one near me that’s new and is all DNFs.

Looking at the owner profile, I am not surprised there is a problem. No finds listed and their first hide. As much as a FTF hound I am, I have gotten to the point to were if I do not know who the cache owner is I look up their profile. With a profile like that I will not tr for the FTF unless it is rated a 1-1. I have been burned to many times. The cache may not have been placed, this is a mistake I have seen some noobies make. THey wait for the approval before they place the cache.

Went after a "new" cache today..... DNF :unsure:  altho we looked for about 1/2 an hour. It was very clear to us (by the thousands of footprints in the snow and freshly-dug areas around tree trunks) that we were not the first to LOOK! Nobody has logged on the cache page yet though.

So, here's the question: is it considered rude to post a DNF as the first log?  Or -- is there some stealth strategy to not logging? (Other than being embarassed to log a DNF.) Nobody is "watching" the cache page either (altho, I'm guessing they are probably checking it manually).

What should we do?

I would like to mention something probably not even thought of much, if at all ...

Your post on any cache is your own record of your attempt. Write in there what you think is important as you would a journal. Whether you eventually find 5000 caches and use logs as a stroll down memory lane OR you only ever log 50 finds, your posts are your personal record of your efforts, emotions, and the time and cost you put into finding that cache.

Some people rarely post finds, as a story told me of a man who only logs 5/5 cache finds. Some people spend as much time logging a cache as they did hunting for the thing. What you do is your thing. You paid the money. Lets have Fun out there!!! :rolleyes:

- Pat

Went after a "new" cache today..... DNF :rolleyes: altho we looked for about 1/2 an hour. It was very clear to us (by the thousands of footprints in the snow and freshly-dug areas around tree trunks) that we were not the first to LOOK! Nobody has logged on the cache page yet though.

Those footprints may not belong to other cachers. If the cache was just put out, a muggle my have seen the hider placing it and the cache got muggled.

OP's UPDATE:

After we logged, another cacher also logged as a DNF. (And based on later posts, there were additional unlogged DNFs.) But then someone did find it, on the opposite side of the trail from where we and some others had looked. The cache owner emailed to give us that hint (opposite side) and mention that the FTF prize was still in the cache... unfortunately, it was snagged by one of the other "non-loggers" before we could get back to take another crack at it. So we missed out twice :)

However, WE were the first to log. -- Gee, does that count? "FTL"? :)

Apparently there were a lot of us looking on the wrong side of the trail, but the original finder says the coordinates worked fine for him. :( The day we searched was overcast with snow flurries and the area is under heavy tree cover, so maybe that's what threw us all off. (We were using a Garmin MAP60cs, not sure what the other lookers had.)

We'll go back and find it at some point, though. It was the first stage of a multi that does look like fun.

Thanks everyone, for all the advice.

OP's UPDATE:

After we logged, another cacher also logged as a DNF. (And based on later posts, there were additional unlogged DNFs.) But then someone did find it, on the opposite side of the trail from where we and some others had looked. The cache owner emailed to give us that hint (opposite side) and mention that the FTF prize was still in the cache... unfortunately, it was snagged by one of the other "non-loggers" before we could get back to take another crack at it. So we missed out twice :)

However, WE were the first to log. -- Gee, does that count? "FTL"? :)

Apparently there were a lot of us looking on the wrong side of the trail, but the original finder says the coordinates worked fine for him. :( The day we searched was overcast with snow flurries and the area is under heavy tree cover, so maybe that's what threw us all off. (We were using a Garmin MAP60cs, not sure what the other lookers had.)

We'll go back and find it at some point, though. It was the first stage of a multi that does look like fun.

Thanks everyone, for all the advice.

FTDNF!

We all do it sometimes.