Caches In Nps?

phuneeguy

I tried to place a cache in a National Park Service (Indian park service), (Heart of the Monster at Kamiah Idaho) but they would not permit it. Has any one succesfully placed one in a park run by the NPS? If so, how did you go about obtainig permission? :P

Edited by phuneeguy
I would start by asking the park ranger for permission.

And get it in writing, just to protect yourself later.

The National Parks Service has had a blanket ban on geocaches for at least 4yrs.

I have heard of a few (1 or 2) cases where an individual park's administrators have granted permission. Because of the ban, and because permission is so rarely granted, your cache reviewer is probably also going to want to verify with the park you got permission, so be sure to provide that info on the cache page.

I say make sure you have it in writing anyway, because park staff comes and goes, and 15 months from now when there is a new head ranger, you don't want to deal with a federal fine for violating their ban.

The question was for someone that successfully placed a cache in a park operated by the NPS. Its not that Im not thankful for all input, but I already went thru the permission and was denied. I am also in touch with the geo-caching approver. I understand that there are a few caches out there in a NPS park. Would like to hear from them.

The question was for someone that successfully placed a cache in a park operated by the NPS. Its not that Im not thankful for all input, but I already went thru the permission and was denied. I am also in touch with the geo-caching approver. I understand that there are a few caches out there in a NPS park. Would like to hear from them.

Well, we're just trying to help. Along those lines, I'm a bit confused.

Not from Idaho, but from what I see it looks like Heart of the Monster at Kamiah Idaho(where it sounds like you're saying you tried to hide the cache) is a Nez Perce indian reservation, not NPS land. Still an issue, since reservations are kinda like their own private little country, and typically don't like geocachers (or anyone else) wandering around their lands.

Well then, I would say this is not the best place to get an answerer to your questions. Only a very small percentage of the cachers visit these forums and the owners of caches on NPS land are very unlikely to see this post before it drifts off to the next page in a day or so.

A better question would be:

Does anyone know of a cache placed on NPS land? If so please post the cache information here.

Like Bluejaytoo has done.

You can now check out that cache and contact the cache owner and cache approver directly to get the specific answers you are seeking.

You can do zip code searches near NPS lands and see how many caches are placed on the parks and contact the owners that way.

GEO.JOE

Earthcaches ARE allowed on NPS land if you first obtain the permission of the local Supervisor. You then have to record that persons name, position and phone number in the waymark form......

NPS Earthcaches are even listed with the NPS logo on the earthcache protal (www.earthcache.org).

Mopar, you mentioned that the ban is for a minimum of 4 years. Any idea when it is set to expire, and if they are considering lifting it at that time?

No, I said:

The National Parks Service has had a blanket ban on geocaches for at least 4yrs.

Meaning; the ban has been in effect at least 4yrs (since I've been caching).

I tried to place a cache in a National Park Service (Indian park service), (Heart of the Monster at Kamiah Idaho) but they would not permit it. Has any one succesfully placed one in a park run by the NPS? If so, how did you go about obtainig permission? :anibad:

Who was "they?" The Ranger or Groundspeak?

There are plenty of caches on NPS lands and with full permission.

It is my understanding that there is no official ban on geocaching, but a memo detailing how somehow could be prosecuted if a cache was placed without permission. The issue is getting permission and get it in writing from the park superintendent.

It is also my understanding that the likelihood of getting the mentioned permission depends on the park and the ranger's attitude. Some remote parks might not get a bunch of visitors and the grounds might be conducive to folks just wandering around. These are the ones that might be a bit more favorable. OTOH, a park with butt-loads of visitors and issues with sensitivity of trampling or what have you might be much less inclined to allow a cache.

The thing is, on NPS land, get permission first, always and without exception. You could find yourself with a federal rap sheet otherwise.

In cases like this, it never hurts to ask.

I just want to clarify that Heart of the Monster is part of the Nez Perce National Historic Park (NPS) not Indian Park Service. So NPS rules apply. Heart of the Monster

It would be a great earthcache, so perhaps if you presented it to the Superintendent in this way, show them the website Earthcache website they might change their minds. Earthcaches are sponsered/partnered by NPS.

Still an issue, since reservations are kinda like their own private little country, and typically don't like geocachers (or anyone else) wandering around their lands.

I've never had any problems at all either geocaching, hiking or just about anything else on the reservations in Idaho.

Im not talking about reservations. I live on one.

I just want to clarify that Heart of the Monster is part of the Nez Perce National Historic Park (NPS) not Indian Park Service. So NPS rules apply. Heart of the Monster

It would be a great earthcache, so perhaps if you presented it to the Superintendent in this way, show them the website Earthcache website they might change their minds. Earthcaches are sponsered/partnered by NPS.

Heart of the Monster is a part of the national park service. Either that or thay have the wrong signs posted at the park.

There were a few caches in the Point Reyes National Seashore (admnistered by NPS) that had been "grandfathered" into the Groundspeak system. But the NPS has been removing them -- I am not sure that there arthe any left now. Virtuals are another matter, but it is also another matter for Groundspeak.