Free Gold Geobone, Free Red-hand Coin

Lemon Fresh Dog

Are coins for collections, or are coins for caches?

BOTH! Hopefully, even though people collect coins, they also take time to cache a coin or two.

I'm pretty honoured that my geobone has found itself incorporated into not one, but two other coins (SWAG Christmas and Go-Mad-Cow). To celebrate this, I thought I would give away one gold geobone and one of my new red-handed coins.

How to win? Easy!

Place a coin in a cache. Log your adventure and the cache number here -- you have an entry. You can enter for any coins you place in caches (this date forward only). You can start the coin, move the coin, whatever....

Then, I will choose one entry (random draw) to win both coins (one is trackable, one isn't -- so it's a cool "set")

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Nifty little contest. Can we enter more than once?

My son, (The Middle Librarian) our dog (Only re-reads Old Yeller books) and I went after this one Thanksgiving afternoon. We needed to get out of the house for a little while. The temperature was hovering about 15 degrees f. Oddly, the ground was wet rather than frozen.

We had no trouble getting to the general area, but finding the cache proved too difficult in the first frigid weather of the season. We looked for perhaps 30 minutes getting colder and dirtier. I looked in several holes - gopher or rabbit type. We searched under all the "small trees," as mentioned in the clue, that we cold find and had no luck.

I went back solo on Friday, determined to find the cache. It was slightly warmer and the ground was dry. I stuck my arm into the most obvious hole and practically buried my nose in a much less obvious hole. Withdrawing my arm from the obvious hole, I dipped my fingers into the smaller hole. Nothing. I knew no one would hide a cache in there, but I was bound to be thorough. I probed deeper and felt nothing. When I pulled my arm out, it scraped some of the leafy debris away from the hole and revealed a plastic bag. There was the cache.

I found the cache before you posted your challenge, but I didn't log it until today. If this doesn't count, I will do another one. The adventure probably won't be as good, though.

Nomad

of Nomad and the Librarians

I just dropped off my personal geocoin in the following cache:

Play Ball

by pathfinder100

N 41° 10.097 W 076° 52.250

UTM: 18T E 343057 N 4559125

SE 9.3mi from your home coordinates.

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

In Pennsylvania, United States [view map]

Hidden: 10/21/2005

Use waypoint: GCR220

Missed the date but this sure makes the adventure list....worth a shot! :P

Place my first geocoin (Seven Summits-Mt. Everest Silver) out into the wild at this cache:

Yukon Diving GCR8V3

This cache was a co-FTF with a 5/5 rating 90 feet underwater on a shipwreck with 5 foot visibility!

It was an awesome adventure and the geocoin will be deserving for the next cacher!

PassingWind

Place my first geocoin (Seven Summits-Mt. Everest Silver) out into the wild at this cache:

Yukon Diving GCR8V3

This cache was a co-FTF with a 5/5 rating 90 feet underwater on a shipwreck with 5 foot visibility!

It was an awesome adventure and the geocoin will be deserving for the next cacher!

PassingWind

Thank you for doing this.... :)

A thread like this is both informative and a great way of sharing some of the experiences. Get people back on the focus of moving those coins around as most everyone does and the stories, what stories we will hear as we are one of the most crazy bunch around.

My son has been talking about this one since it was first posted.

Yukon Diving GCR8V3

PassingWind

I'll go ahead and count this as an entery -- 5/5's are special!

Missed the date but this sure makes the adventure list....worth a shot!  :)

Yukon Diving GCR8V3

PassingWind

I'm pretty sure those coins are made of ferrous metal...it should be ruined in short order. I hope I'm wrong, or you put it in something waterproof. :P A bronze coin would have been a better choice.

Edited by mjp303

I'll keep the contest going for December and then do the draw (or if the thread becomes "dead").

Also, even though I said coins from today onward == extreme adventures, cool stories, etc will count. If this causes anyone grief, please call me personally to discuss. I can be reached at 9-1-1. Just ask for me repeatedly. They may say that they don't know who I am -- so keep screaming "Lemon Fresh! Lemon Fresh!" they'll send a car.....

Last night I went out and placed a 2003 USA geocoin (Legacy Specie) in a cache. The cache is Evergreen on the Go Round, GCRCMB. I found this coin in Southern PA, and couldn't believe it was still in the field. I went out after dark into a brand new cache in the area, and moved this one along. It was a blast. I love being able to keep coins moving. That's what it is all about. :D

Place a coin in a cache. Log your adventure and the cache number here -- you have an entry. You can enter for any coins you place in caches (this date forward only). You can start the coin, move the coin, whatever....

I think you need to specify the coins (like gc.com trackable?). The actual metal coin, or do copy/imation/replacement coins count?

What if I activate a coin and mail it to someone overseas to release there. Do I get to claim that? it was released, I just wouldn't have personally placed it in a cache?

I dropped 4 coins while on a hike on Saturday:

f0t0m0m Geocoin: North Shore Trail #1 - The Chimney (GCP4DA)

New Mexico Geocoin: North Shore Trail #5 - The Rock (GCPJXF)

Pennsylvania Geocoin: North Shore Trail #6 - The Home (GCPJXM)

European Uniom Geocoin: North Shore Trail #7 - The Waterfall (GCPJXV)

We try to drop one of our f0t0m0m coins each weekend that we cache... so far we have dropped 19 f0t0m0m coins in caches....

My wife and I have been hunting for geocoins in the wild lately. It's a little more exciting to chase after coins.

Since we have separate profiles, one of us picks up the coin (the one who found the cache first). Then we pass the coin to each other (drop off and pick up) at a later cache. Finally, we drop the coin for others to enjoy at another cache. Because we do twice the normal number of drops per coin, you probably should count my wife and I as one person for this drawing.

So unlike other geocoin collectors, our geocoin collection is purely virtual. The only thing we keep are the icons in our profiles and pictures of each coin. :ninja:

Let's see... Our last coin was SPnZ's Traveling European Union Geocoin, which my wife picked up at Beach Comber's, we passed at Ask Your Kids #2, and I finally dropped at Beginner's Luck on Nov 26.

Do we get an entry for each coin we move? Because we were planning to do more geocoin hunting anyway... :ninja:

Lloyd

Here's my entry for your contest:

Today, November 28, I checked the computer and saw two new caches come up, about 12 miles south of me. I rushed down to the area (near Bangor, Pennsylvania) and found both caches. One was a micro, but the other was a regular cache. In addition to getting the FTF for this cache, I left one of my new geocoins here - "Stellar's Mt. McKinley Geocoin", (bronze Mt. McKinley coin - one of the Seven Summit series). I placed it in the cache, "Callie's Farm: The Big Black Bucket" - GCRBQW. The mission of my geocoin is to travel from cache to cache and hopefully someday make it to Mt. McKinley Alaska.

Ok. I can't help myself. I MUST enter this contest. I really, really want a Gold Geobone. :D

I just did a 10 cache series - and each was a discrete cache with credit. You had to find all of Santa's reindeer and then find Santa's Toybox (GCRBGB). Each of the reideer caches was a film can. In the can was the normal log but also a bunch of small laminated tags. On one side was a picture of the reideer with its name above it - each one was a different picture. On the other side of the tag was a number. One reideer didn't have a number but, instead, had the coordinates to the Rudolph cache which you had to fill in by using the numbers from the other reindeer.

I saw the series pop up at 11:30 PM. I had to get up at 7:00 the next morning and drive 3.5 hours for Thanksgiving dinner but I zoomed out the door anyway. I ended up getting the first 7 that night with 6 FTF. At the one where I wasn't a FTF I ran into a couple who live about 3.5 hours away and were visiting the area for Thanksgiving. We looked together and one of them spotted it a split second before I did so they got FTF on that one. I finally quit because it was late and after logging my finds finally got to bed at 1:30 AM. (I had to do the last 2 reindeer and Santa's Toybox a couple days later when I got back from Thanksgiving dinner. I did pick up 4 caches while out of town and snagged 3 travel bugs to bring home - a White Jeep and 2 Geocoins. I put the coins in Santa's Toybox.)

Once you got all the other reindeer and decoded the coordinates for Rudolph you found that in his cache there was the same tag but it had the coordinates for Santa's Toybox. It turned out that the "fake" coordinates on the cache listing were actually the parking coordinates. When you got there and went to the actual coordinates it was a .41 mile walk down a trail - and I do mean down. Coming back is all uphill.

Santa's Toybox turned out to be a huge ammo can with latches on each end. It was full of regular goodies as well as Christmas related stuff and a bunch of travel bugs. Here is my log from the cache:

=====================

:D November 26 by Thrak (210 found)

Wow!!! This is the biggest darn cache I've ever seen. Lots of stuff here and a nice hike on a beautiful morning. Hope to see more of these Redvoodoo series caches. Keep them coming.

Took small Christmas Bear.

Left - Whistle w/lanyard, "Monkey Girl" USA Geocoin TB, California Geocoin TB

TFTC - the series rocked.

=====================

To make things even better I broke 200 on this series. Not too bad since I do have to work full time and my first cache find was on August 8th and my 200th was on November 23. Yesterday I went out in the dark and got my 20th FTF too. I love Geocaching.:P

I am offering a prize package consisting of a Dutch geocoin, TRL Bearbait geocoin and Hurricane Katrina geocoin (awarded through a drawing) for people who participate in voting in all three categories of awards (Hall of Fame, Best Caches and Best Geocachers) for northern New Jersey geocaching. Does that count?

I have also offered three TRL Bearbait geocoins as prizes for the best photographs taken from one of four cache locations until 12/1/2005. How about that?

I placed The-Z-Man's #3 2004 USA Geocoin in my new cache that was just published a few minutes ago. GCRFR3 "Elaine's Christmas Card". This is a rifle sight cache. A sighting device is placed on one side of a large ravine and you must line up landmarks to see the final cache site on the other side.

Thanks for sponsoring this little contest. I really like the Geobone.

Is this going on the honor system? will you check logs to see if someone picks up the coin, or reports there isn't one there?

I know some people are so fanatical about getting new coins that they may fake the release just to get an entry to win yours.

Also, must it be a purchased type coin? or do coin type sig items count,

such as ones we have just created using the shrinkydink type plastic sheets, they aren't much different from the wooden nickels.

For a complete set of rules, you can visit ......

Okay. There aren't any rules. I just want folks to post stories about coins in caches. You know -- sort of the whole "geocaching" part of geocoins.

Event caches? -- maybe. I guess it depends on if you give coins away, or otherwise do some caching with them.

Will I check? Not likely. If someone is so pathetic as to lie about placing a coin in a cache, I will just rely on universal karma to eliminate their entry and/or to punish them should they win under false pretense.

As for number of entries -- you can enter as much as you like.

This is just a fun way to get folks to place coins in caches.

I love the opportunity to get one of your geobones...

I recently sent one of my USA geocoins Peppermill 6-Pack's 2005 USA Geocoin to someone in Austria for him to place in a cache there and have it travel the world.

And last night, I placed a new cache here near home with a 2nd one of my USA geocoins

The Good 'Ol USA in it with the goal to travel the USA.

Hope they both keep traveling!

I don't screw around when it comes to coins. You can pretty much ask anyone in the Seattle caching community.

When I placed Pocket Park Pool Parlor There were no fewer than 19 coins inside.

The list is on the cache page. (The M10B coin was there for logging and is not included in the count.)

When I placed DEAD DOLL DITCH There were 7 coins inside.

I maintain these caches as quality coin caches. PPPP had 7 coins removed by person or persons unknown so now I keep a couple coins in the cache's and offer a selection that I will ship to finders.

At this event: Great Alaska Cache'N'Dash Meet'N'Greet Dinner held in our (The Alaska Cache_N_Dash team) honor, I gave every Alaska cacher a coin. from GWIII's to Utah's to Ohio's, Idaho's, New Jersey's, USA's, North Dakota's ETC. ETC. I started with the kids and had them give out over 35 geocoins to every Alaska cacher in the place.

I believe coins are to be shared. I don't get angst if they go missing, I LOVE to find and move them and I like to place them even better. I am stocking up for another quality coin cache but need the leaves to fall some more so the sat's will cooperate.

If the mood strikes and the timings right I'll gut my collection and scatter them to the winds just so others can enjoy them. Ya never know what you are going to find following me around as I drop alot of unregistered trackables too. :blink:

Coin are just that. Coins. I get a kick, when I leave a coin in a cache, knowing whoever opens the cache next is going to get a nice surprise. To me, thats what coins are for.

Missed the date but this sure makes the adventure list....worth a shot! :blink:

Yukon Diving GCR8V3

PassingWind

c810eb89-9dd2-4993-a6bc-4e503cd7758d.jpg