Gsak For Non-pda Owner?

treedweller

I've heard a lot of mention of GSAK as a great resource if you go paperless. I always ignored it because it was a stretch for me to buy the cheapest GPSr I could find (Magellan Explorist 100). But recently I saw a reference to it that made me think it may have uses beyond just plugging info into a PDA.

What might I gain from using this software outside the paperless option?

curious,

treedweller

I don't own a PDA but I use GSAK.

It is a great tool to convert the GPX-Files into different file formats to show the caches on the map and to upload the waypoints into the GPSr.

Um . . . thanks, but what you may not realize is that the 100 has no maps and no port to import anything. Any other bennies?

treedweller

You can define a polygon by entering some coordinates and select caches in a specific area or along a route.

Your GPSr does not need a map feature. You can display the waypoints an almost every digital map on your PC.

There are much more functions included in GSAK like a powerfull cache database with several search and filter funktions, offline viewing and printing etc.

As a long time user of GSAK and Paperless Caching, GSAK offers a lot of options for the user that doesn't have a PDA.

Examples:

1) You can download a Pocket Query from Geocaching.com (Premium Memebers), import the pocket query into GSAK and them do the following;

A) Sort the caches using any number of parameters (Closest to your home location, By Terrian or Difficulty, Cache Type, Cache Size, etc...)

:P If you have a PC and Mapping Software you can export the Cache waypoints to a number of Map Software programs (Delorme Street Atlas, Microsoft Streets And Tips, Garmin Map Source, and several others). You could then print off the maps that show the area street near the cache your looking for (If you don't have a latops to take with you.

C) You can use GSAK to kepp track of all your "Found", "Did Not Find" caches etc.

You can have GSAK setup to open the cache data in the Offline Browser, then you could print the cache page to take with you. The cache print out will give all the information about the cache, and show the decoded Hints as well as the last five log entries (Log entries can be very useful. many times people will give a slight clue when they log a cache that could helps you find it).

And if you get to the point where you have a GPSr that will accept uploading of waypoints GSAK will do that very nicely. The same is true if you pick up a PDA, then you'll be set to go paperless.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Cache On !!!!

Everything described in the prior post can be done using freeware to work with the PQ's; it just may be a few extra steps. For example, the file format conversions are done with GPS Babel. GSAK puts a very powerful wrapper around Babel, but it is still Babel doing the work.

I am not quibbling with those who enjoy GSAK, and I recognize that the topic asks about GSAK. But if funds are tight it is helpful to mention alternatives.

Here is a list of a few things a non paperless user might use GSAK for:

• Display online maps for caches (MapQuest, MultiMap, Google etc)
  • Interface with the Free Google Earth for satellite mapping
  • Extensive searching and filtering
  • Adding your own user notes and pictures
  • Keeping track of finds, DNF, Placed, Not found, FTF, watched, etc
  • Exporting to other mapping program formats
  • HTML cache listing generation
  • Automatic retrieval and processing of pocket queries from you email (pop3) account
  • Backup/Restore and transfer to other computers
  • Printing in column (spread sheet like) and full cache info but condensed formats
  • Search by post code (for supported countries)
  • Show caches nearest to home coordinates or any location
  • Sort data by any number of different ways
  • Macro language to automate tedious steps
  • Add your own custom waypoints
  • Added corrected coordinates (for Puzzle caches etc)
  • Accumulation of logs so you can see more than just the last 5
  • Grab/add waypoints (like parking info) from cache listings and text files
  • Show caches along a route
  • Intergration with Spoilersync for spoiler pictures

Edited by ClydeE

•  

• Intergration with Spoilersync for spoiler pictures

I strongly recommend not to use any kind of software that automatically downloads information from the Groundspeak website.

Some european cachers used software to download huge amounts of cache descriptions and were pleased to stop this immediately.

Any scraping of the gc.com website is a violation of the TOU.

Even ignoring sever load etc, Groundspeak take a very dim view (and rightly so) when the information being scraped could be used by an individual as a replacement for getting Pocket Queries (premium membership). Using such utilities is likely to get your IP address banned, as you are really "cheating" the system.

Strictly speaking SpoilerSync also violates the TOU (though it could be changed to comply fully by forcing user intervention) but in my opinion it's use is not sinister like other said "scrapers". Spoiler images are currently not included in the GPX files (nor are the links), so it fills a gap for many premium members.

I guess if you want to get technical, using the very popular Plucker utility, probably violates the TOU as well as it can automatically "scrape" the website for pictures.

Perhaps this will all be a moot point soon anyway, as there are plans for Groundspeak to include pictures (or links to them) in the GPX file in the future.

Edited by ClydeE
radioscout, Can you explain what the problems were that made them pleased to stop immediately? Downloading from the GC.com site seems indespensable to me!

Some users try to download the complete descriptions incl. all pictures and logs from all the caches hidden in their country to their computer. They use programs working like httrack (or other kind of web site copying software) to download thousends of cache listings every day.