Icons And Abbreviations

===sgb

Too many pages on geocaching use abbreviations or icons without (AFAIK*) providing a key to what they mean.

A month ago I posted a request to find out what D/T meant (difficulty/terrain) - it wasn't obvious. Today I did a TB* search and found icons. I guess a face means a user has the bug and a box that it is in a cache - but it DOESN'T SAY THAT. Anyway, what is the difference between a grey/blue box and a green box? I've no idea on that at all.

If there are administrators, could the go to each and every type of page and look at all the symbols and icons and ask "how will a newbie know what this means"?

At the very least put a clear link on each page to a "glossary" where they all get defined.

===sgb

(*AFAIK - As far as I know)

(*TB Travel Bug)

Today I did a TB* search and found icons. I guess a face means a user has the bug and a box that it is in a cache - but it DOESN'T SAY THAT. Anyway, what is the difference between a grey/blue box and a green box? I've no idea on that at all.

You are right that a square icon means the TB is in a cache, and a round icon means it's in someone's possession. Green means that it has been logged within the last seven days; grey ones have had no logs for at least a week.

It maybe clear there, but it isn't clear on the page where it is used.

===sgb

Have you ever played a board game like Monopoly? Are the FAQ's printed on every square? No! They're on a separate page.

Guess what? This site is set up the same way. In fact, most of the Internet is. When you're new to a board, you should look for the FAQ's first. If you don't find the answer to your particular question, then ask away.

edit: Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, that wasn't my intent.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
It maybe clear there, but it isn't clear on the page where it is used.

===sgb

Have you ever played a board game like Monopoly? Are the FAQ's printed on every square? No! They're on a separate page.

Guess what? This site is set up the same way. In fact, most of the Internet is. When you're new to a board, you should look for the FAQ's first. If you don't find the answer to your particular question, then ask away.

edit: Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, that wasn't my intent.

I own a second edition Monopoly set (1937) and one from 2004 neither of them have FAQ's anywhere. :ninja:

91244d02-9b96-4de0-a199-6fca8c697434.jpg

Hovering those icons gives you nothing...

Admittedly, looking at the source file names DOES help...

loc_container.jpg=loc_container.jpg

new_loc_container.jpg=new_loc_container.jpg

loc_user.jpg=loc_user.jpg

new_loc_user.jpg=new_loc_user.jpg

But having a hover on those saying "Bug has been in users hands less than 7 days" or Bug has been in container more than 7 days", etc., sure might help out with the newbies.

I would agree with Markwell that hover text on the Travel Bug pages would be a good idea -- this was after all the question asked by the original poster. :ninja: A "symbol key" at the bottom of the travel bug listing page would also be helpful, similar to the one that appears at the bottom of the nearest cache search results page to explain the icons. Oh, and *that* key could be updated to include an explanation of "D/T" (Difficulty/Terrain) since that is a frequently asked question.

loc_container.jpg=loc_container.jpg

new_loc_container.jpg=new_loc_container.jpg

loc_user.jpg=loc_user.jpg

new_loc_user.jpg=new_loc_user.jpg

I would also suggest that either a new RED background be established

for bugs that have not moved in more then 14 days,

or that the current color scheme be changed to 14 days instead of 7,

so that at a glance one would know which TBs

are being held against the Golden Rule of Travel Bug Etiquette,

as stated in the Geocaching - Travel Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

"Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug.

Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling,

so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long.

If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks,

make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know."

I have found that most web sites don't take into account a problem that affects, not just a few people, but more than seems possible. If I'm not mistaken it is in the 15-20% range. I am refering to those of us the are color challenged. It runs the gamut from slight to almost total color blindness. All those different colors are nice but not for us. Why can't appropriate letters be used instead? No shade, light shade, and dark shade boxes work as do symbols and shapes.