Sportrak Recasing Cost?

cachephrase

Ugh. My ST Pro has the dreaded casing cracks around the screw fastenings, as has been discussed in forum posts past. Earlier this year I visited the Magellan web site, filled out their online form describing the problem. I got back one email (automated?) saying thanks and we will get back to you. Never heard another word.

Within the past week my battery cover screw threads have become stripped. Since the battery cover bounces out if not screwed in (due to springs inside to contact batteries) and I don't really want to go the duct-tape route, at the moment it's not real usable. (The screw is a specialty design that is held in the cover with a retaining ring.)

Has anyone paid to have their SporTrak recased at Magellan, and if so, could you give me an idea of what I should expect it to cost? (And am I correct in assuming that a recase would include the battery compartment cover and screw receiver inside?)

Thanks --

cachephrase

Edited by cachephrase

Solutions to the above:

1/ cracked case? fortunately my sportrak pro doesnt have this problem, but i do have a stripped battery compartment thread. The problem lies not with the screw it's self, but with the little metal reciever it screws into, which is softer metal and thus wears out faster. normal engineering practice would have the screw as the softer component, as it is easier to replace. As it would seem that they prefer to take the oposite route, i'm guessing this is a form of built in obselecance to persuade you to buy a new unit- either that or a good, old fashiond design fault.

fortunately there is a simple solution: Teflon plumbers tape (PTFE Thread tape). simply wrap a couple of layers around the screw thread, and it will once again grip the reciever. Be warned, however, this is a fiddly job due to the small amount of space to manipulate the PTFE tape, and someone with large mitts like me would find it difficult.

2/ give us a clue here, how exactly did the screw break? did the head shear off? did the screw head strip? each problem has it's own solution, but further information is required before i can suggest a remedy.

Dan.

Hmm, in my case it is the screw itself which has the problem, or at least the most problems. The threads are completely flat -- so much so that we had trouble using a thread gauge to determine tpi in hopes of finding a replacement screw (actually I guess it's a bolt) that we could then create a groove in to accept the retaining ring and/or create one on a lathe.

The screw receiver seems to still have OK threads, though it is really hard to tell without a magnifying glass and we may find out they are completely flat too!

OK, here is another question: have any of you found the quality of the screen plastic to be not good? My first attempt at caching was with an old borrowed Magellan 4000 -- which supposedly had "scratchproof" screen -- and it really did seem to be much higher quality than my STPro. The old one had a hard life with me and came through unscathed. The STP has gotten rubbed and scratched much more than I expected. But then again I guess this one wasn't advertised as scratchproof -- big surprise! :P Not using a screen protector from the start is a big regret -- if I get it recased I think that will be incentive for me to do so.

Thanks for the info -- I will try to call Magellan. Ugh, to be without my GPS.................... (insert keening sounds here)

cachephrase

2/ give us a clue here, how exactly did the screw break? did the head shear off? did the screw head strip? each problem has it's own solution, but further information is required before i can suggest a remedy.

Dan.

Well, trying to get the compartment open, the screw head broke about a 1/4 inch down, just below the seal. I guess I have two problems, a quick fix to get new batteries in so I can cache tomorrow, and getting it fixed long term. Here is a pic:

PB260062.jpg

Well, trying to get the compartment open, the screw head broke about a 1/4 inch down, just below the seal.  I guess I have two problems, a quick fix to get new batteries in so I can cache tomorrow, and getting it fixed long term.

hmm, with the screw snapped at that level, i would guess that it will have little effect on retaining the battery compartment- and this is probably just being held in place by friction between the case and the rubber seal.

solution: take some thin,but strong, string (or fishing line) and thread through the hole where the wrist strap should fasten to. (beneath that little platic bridge thingy below the screw hole in your pic, connecting screw surround to outer rim of battery compartment)

pull slowly and firmly, and the battery compartment will slide out (eventuallly- this can be quite difficult)

once ont, you can use pliers to unscrew the remains of the retaining screw.

then as magellan for a new one.

Edited by Mr Burns