Earthcache Question

TeamAO

I searched for this, and nothing came up....so here we go.

I own an Earthcache. Someone went into my Earthcache and put links and advertisments to Subaru and Geological Survey of America.

What about no soliciting? What's going on? No one sent me any email asking me about this.

I own an Earthcache.  Someone went into my Earthcache and put links and advertisments to Subaru and Geological Survey of America.

What about no soliciting? What's going on? No one sent me any email asking me about this.

Ewwwww.

If I owned an earthcache, and someone went and did that, I'm pretty sure I would remove the added stuff and then archive the cache.

But that's me.

Edited by Mopar
You can't just remove the information?

It's right between user generated content,

and GeoCaching.com generated content,

so my guess is it's part of GeoCaching code,

and therfore cannot be removed.

It does not appear to be part of the GC.com code, and it CAN be removed by the cache owner.

My question would be who allowed someone other than the owner to alter the description of a cache? Were you at least notified of the change or did you just discover it on your own?

I just checked my 28 or so and they all have the ads. The ads aren't on the Waymarking earthcaches yet.

Did I miss something on the gc.com site that said they would allow other people to edit my caches? Are my traditionals suseptable to the unannounced anonomous edits? :P

Edited by TerryDad2

I own an Earthcache.  Someone went into my Earthcache and put links and advertisments to Subaru and Geological Survey of America.

Ewwwww.

If I owned an earthcache, and someone went and did that, I'm pretty sure I would remove the added stuff and then archive the cache.

But that's me.

Yep. In a heartbeat.

Folks...I am sorry that this has caused a few of you so much concern.

The 'Advert" was placed by me as the Earthcache Master for two reasons.

1. Earthcaches are now found on Geocachinging and Waymarking - I felt it was important that people knew this and that they could find the link to them all at earthcaching.org

2. Earthcaches are supported by the Geological Society of America and Subaru America (in the USA)...and that those people deserve some recognition as well. Without their support, and the support of many others including Groundspeak and you all, Earthcaches just would not exist.

This will only be placed on the Geocaching.com Earthcaches. All these Earthcaches will eventually be archived as part of the plan to have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com.

Again, I apologise if this has cause you you concerns. You can, as some have suggested, just delete the code from the long description....but I hope that most will understand that dcoing this will help Earthcaches alive and kicking into the future.

Cheers

Gary

I can't see a problem here...its not like its a link to sell cars.or to become a member of GSA. The link just takes you to the full list of earthcaches and provides more exposure of your cache.The services provided by the earthcaching team are not free to run. They take support from sponsers, or they would not be available for all to use, unless you want to pay a fee every time you post a cache or want to find a cache. I am guessing you would not want to do that either. You post your cache..and it is for the public. This is supposed to be a fun and educational program...and whinning will just ruin it.

All these Earthcaches will eventually be archived as part of the plan to have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com.

Okay, maybe this is OT, but when will they be archived? I understood that LC's were going to be archived at the beginning of next year but thought that the other "logless" cache types were grandfathered.

Could someone point me to a thread? I can't seem to find it.

All these Earthcaches will eventually be archived as part of the plan to have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com.

Okay, maybe this is OT, but when will they be archived? I understood that LC's were going to be archived at the beginning of next year but thought that the other "logless" cache types were grandfathered.

Could someone point me to a thread? I can't seem to find it.

DavidMac, you are correct in your understanding. There is no "plan to have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com." I do regret any confusion which may have resulted from that statement earlier in the thread.

Existing virtual caches and webcam caches will remain grandfathered on the Geocaching.com site unless and until Groundspeak decides to change that. NEW virtual, webcam and locationless submissions are no longer being accepted on Geocaching.com. All of those are finding a new home at Waymarking.com. Existing locationless caches -- and only locationless caches -- will be archived and locked at the end of the year.

Reliable sources for the above information include the section on Grandfathered Cache Types in the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines document, and the Read Me First thread that's pinned at the top of the Getting Started With Waymarking Forum.

This post does not address Earthcaches because volunteer cache reviewers (such as me) do not have any responsibility for new Earthcache listings or for later actions taken in regard to existing Earthcache listings.

Folks...I am sorry that this has caused a few of you so much concern.

The 'Advert" was placed by me as the Earthcache Master for two reasons.

1. Earthcaches are now found on Geocachinging and Waymarking - I felt it was important that people knew this and that they could find the link to them all at earthcaching.org

2. Earthcaches are supported by the Geological Society of America and Subaru America (in the USA)...and that those people deserve some recognition as well. Without their support, and the support of many others including Groundspeak and you all, Earthcaches just would not exist.

This will only be placed on the Geocaching.com Earthcaches. All these Earthcaches will eventually be archived as part of the plan to have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com.

Again, I apologise if this has cause you you concerns. You can, as some have suggested, just delete the code from the long description....but I hope that most will understand that dcoing this will help Earthcaches alive and kicking into the future.

Cheers

Gary

:ninja: And I thought mother nature created earthcaches. I have been finding earthcaches since I became a Boy Scout in the mid 60's. Long before the internet, not to mentiom earthcache.com or Groundspeak. I certainly don't need some Sweedish car makers help to find them.

DavidMac, you are correct in your understanding. There is no "plan to have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com." I do regret any confusion which may have resulted from that statement earlier in the thread.

Thanks for clarifying. There seems to be a rumor flying throughout the geocaching community that all caches without physical logs (including virtuals and webcams, too) will be permanently archived at the stroke of midnight January 1st. I was at an event yesterday where someone swore that this was the case, although I haven’t seen any official word that gives a specific date regarding anything but the locationless listings.

Reliable sources for the above information include the section on Grandfathered Cache Types in the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines document, and the Read Me First thread that's pinned at the top of the Getting Started With Waymarking Forum.

Reading Jeremy’s text on that page under “What are you planning to do with virtual caches?”, it sounds like he’s saying in the same section that virtuals will be removed from the site and placed in their own category, but also that the listings will remain grandfathered on the website. I’m confused :ninja:

As a result we will be removing the virtual cache listing from geocaching.com in favor of new waymark categories for these listings.

As a result we will be removing the virtual cache listing from geocaching.com in favor of new waymark categories for these listings.

That has already happened. No new virtuals are being accepted. I think that's what he's talking about since the word "new" is mentioned. I don't see that as refering to existing virtuals at all.

That has already happened. No new virtuals are being accepted. I think that's what he's talking about since the word "new" is mentioned. I don't see that as refering to existing virtuals at all.

Ah, that makes sense now. I was reading the text to mean existing caches, rather than new listings only. I now realize that the text was from August, back when you could still select “Virtual” as a cache type when creating a new listing.

Keystone answered my other question about virtual caches above. I’m still not sure what the plan is for earthcaches and when exactly geoaware plans to archive/move them, but I don’t want to hijack this thread (oops, too late :ninja: ) so I’ll start a new one if I can’t find the answer.