Ontario Geocoins On Sale Sunday 11/27, 10am Est

Team PEZ

The 2006 Ontario Geocoins will go on sale Sunday November 27, 2005 at 10:00 AM EST. Details for the coins and the sale are located here.

Please do not post your preorders here - this is just to let everyone know when and where to go.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

GA Cacher, Team Pez, MadHattersNeverland, and Thorny1

I'm not sure I understand your Gold, Silver and Bronze designation. The coins are beautiful, and very colourful, but where do the Gold, Silver and Bronze fit in? Does this mean that parts of the coins are gold, silver or bronze in colour? In content? Inquiring minds want to know!

Gold - 100 pieces - $9.50 US (one per person)

Silver - 200 pieces - $8.50 US (two per person)

Bronze - 700 pieces - $7.50 US (700 maximum)

It's just the colour, not the content, and another method of profiteering. Coins cost the same to produce, but by creating rarity you can bump up the price and the lemmings (err, collectors) will buy them. :D

It's a little strange to see a group of Americans creating a Canadian geocoin, even if one of the Americans was once a Canadian. Would have been much more preferable to see the OGA create their own coin.

A number of people (this group included) are producing coins for areas whether they know anything about those areas or not. It's become a profitable business, versus what it once was ... a group of geocachers creating something for the sport, generally without profiteering in mind.

Edited by dogbreathcanada
It's just the colour, not the content, and another method of profiteering. Coins cost the same to produce, but by creating rarity you can bump up the price and the lemmings (err, collectors) will buy them. :lol:

It's a little strange to see a group of Americans creating a Canadian geocoin, even if one of the Americans was once a Canadian. Would have been much more preferable to see the OGA create their own coin.

A number of people (this group included) are producing coins for areas whether they know anything about those areas or not. It's become a profitable business, versus what it once was ... a group of geocachers creating something for the sport, generally without profiteering in mind.

Good morning! Since I am one of those evil, profiteering Americans I thought I should answer this post.

Of the four members of our group, one is from Ontario and one lives in Ontario. Of the other two, one is a native Texan and the other is a native New Yorker. We all collect coins and geocache. The idea came about because although Texas and New York are well represented in coins, unfortunately Ontario was not represented and they wanted a coin in thier collection from it. After checking to see if there was an Ontario coin in the works and finding there wasn't, we stepped up, offered our services, posted our intent on the forums after contacting the local groups and then designed the coin. We believe the coin is representative of and uniquely Ontarian - your mileage may vary.

Unless asked, we are not going to be producing coins for other areas. If someone asks us to help them out, because of our prior experience, I'm sure we would be more then happy to. We are not, however, going out and making regional coins without an invitation or a connection to that area. It's too much work and hassle to deal with otherwise.

Coin collectors have indicated they wish to collect coins made with the gold/silver/bronze/copper/platinum/etc... variations for thier collections. We are giving them what they want. That's called free enterprise.

The prices are in US dollars since we bank in the US and use a coin manufacturer based in the US. We could, of course, have charged the prices in Canadian, but would have had to figure in the exchange rate, etc... I believe the current exchange rate is 1 USD = .84 CD. That would just make the coin prices seem higher, IMO. The prices also include shipping and handling and delivery confirmation (where available).

Dogsbreath, would you like us to help make a BC coin, since that is where you are from? We'd be more then happy to help you out. :(:(

Thorny1

Edited by Thorny1
It's just the colour, not the content, and another method of profiteering. Coins cost the same to produce, but by creating rarity you can bump up the price and the lemmings (err, collectors) will buy them. :lol:

I can't speak for other coins, but the 2006 GOWT gold coins are actually 24kt gold plated, and were a little more expensive than the regulars.

I'm not sure I understand your Gold, Silver and Bronze designation.  The coins are beautiful, and very colourful, but where do the Gold, Silver and Bronze fit in?  Does this mean that parts of the coins are gold, silver or bronze in colour?  In content?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Gold -  100 pieces - $9.50 US (one per person)

Still no real answer on the Gold, Silver, Bronze question...????

(And I never noticed that the price was in USD! Change your advertised price to CDN and you'll likely get more interest....and orders from Ontario!)

Edited by TrimblesTrek
I'm not sure I understand your Gold, Silver and Bronze designation.  The coins are beautiful, and very colourful, but where do the Gold, Silver and Bronze fit in?  Does this mean that parts of the coins are gold, silver or bronze in colour?  In content?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Gold -  100 pieces - $9.50 US (one per person)

Still no real answer on the Gold, Silver, Bronze question...????

(And I never noticed that the price was in USD! Change your advertised price to CDN and you'll likely get more interest....and orders from Ontario!)

As we have had a few questions about the metals being used wanted to add this BEFORE the sale starts this AM.

1) The "gold" coin is a bronze coin that is “The 100 gold coins are quoted for 24K polished gold plating." quote from our coin producer.

2) the "silver" coin is nickel, we started to get silver plating but that tarnishes too easy

3) Bronze is antique bronze.

The page has changed to reflect the price in both US and CDN $, the paypal invoice will be sent in US $.

The price includes shipping to Canada and the US.

All Canadain orders will be shipped from Ontario as one of us do live in Ontario.

Thanks for your support.

GA Cacher

I may consider buying a few. It is too bad that some of the other suggestions that were posted here to the forums were not considered a little more. I seem to remember a thread here that I will try to find that included ideas from SEVERAL ontario geocachers. I think there was even a more or less unanimous mention of including the outline of the province on the coin as in the Ontario Geocaching Association logo or similar.

I know that Utsman had even proposed a great looking design in that same thread however I guess that wasn't looked at as these coins do not contain any of the features that were discussed.

I applaud the effort. It is nice to see someone stepping up to take the initiative however (and correct me if I am wrong) it just seems like the project went ahead without a whole lot of consultation with everyone

Ack, it's 3 hours after they went on sale and they are marked as completely sold out.  Darn, will have to wait for the next batch I guess.

Gold -  100 coins - SOLD OUT

Silver - 200 coins - SOLD OUT

Bronze - SOLD OUT

I checked it out 30 mins after they went on sale and they were already sold out. :D

Scott

Ack, it's 3 hours after they went on sale and they are marked as completely sold out.  Darn, will have to wait for the next batch I guess.

Gold -  100 coins - SOLD OUT

Silver - 200 coins - SOLD OUT

Bronze - SOLD OUT

I checked it out 30 mins after they went on sale and they were already sold out. ;)

Scott

Actually they where overconfident on the sales of Bronze, they still have some left. Check the page again.

The sad part is I sincerely doubt we will ever see one in a cache. These are strictly intended as collector items. The only reason they have tracking numbers is for personal use and not for the purpose as originally intended by Groundspeak.

One day we'll have a true Ontario Geocaching coin, designed by Ontario cachers, and sold only to Ontario cachers.

Olar

Edited by Olar

We are looking into creating one.

To be forthcoming, and probably repetative, GA Cacher wrote to me regarding the production of an Ontario Geocoin.

I replied that we would be interested in seeing a Proposal put together.

That was the last thing that I heard. But I may have missed an email, it has happened before.

Our OGA Store Manager has recently contacted GA Cacher to request information about OGA getting a coin. They are a little busy, but will get back to us regarding.

As such, we are still looking into the option of an Official OGA Geocoin.

I can honestly say that the current OGA LOGO would be on it. That is a non-negotiable, and if that is not a posibility then OGA would not have one commissioned.

As for the notion of people buying coins and just keeping them... I would say that ALL OGA Geocoins would be identical except for tracking number (no gold/silver/bronze). If people only want to buy them to keep them, that's their decision, but I would like to think that people would treat them like Travel Bugs.

Sure the OGA001 coin might be a "Keeper", but if there is enough that they aren't like the Moun10bike coins then they will wander.

Let's be honest.. buy 2 coins... keep one for yourself and send the other out into the world... see both sides of the Geocoin.

OGA - Admin

edit: Oh and we (OGA) would also be wanting to be the sole distributor of any Official OGA Coin. That way it is an ONTARIO GEOCACHING COIN.

I have no issue with the fact that an American company is creating the Ontario Geocoin at all. But I would EXPECT if not DEMAND that the image content of an OGA Geocoin be created in Ontario by Ontario Geocachers and that any production whether it be Canadian or American would be dictated by OGA. Basically OGA would provide all of the details about the coin to whomever is doing the actual "minting" and OGA would be the sole purchaser of said coins, for resale by OGA only.

Edited by OGA - Admin
We are looking into creating one.

To be forthcoming, and probably repetative, GA Cacher wrote to me regarding the production of an Ontario Geocoin.

I replied that we would be interested in seeing a Proposal put together.

That was the last thing that I heard. But I may have missed an email, it has happened before.

Our OGA Store Manager has recently contacted GA Cacher to request information about OGA getting a coin. They are a little busy, but will get back to us regarding.

As such, we are still looking into the option of an Official OGA Geocoin.

I can honestly say that the current OGA LOGO would be on it. That is a non-negotiable, and if that is not a posibility then OGA would not have one commissioned.

As for the notion of people buying coins and just keeping them... I would say that ALL OGA Geocoins would be identical except for tracking number (no gold/silver/bronze). If people only want to buy them to keep them, that's their decision, but I would like to think that people would treat them like Travel Bugs.

Sure the OGA001 coin might be a "Keeper", but if there is enough that they aren't like the Moun10bike coins then they will wander.

Let's be honest.. buy 2 coins... keep one for yourself and send the other out into the world... see both sides of the Geocoin.

OGA - Admin

Hope to see an OGA geocoin seems a little more Canadian to me! ;) I Can't wait to hear more information.

We all collect coins and geocache. The idea came about because although Texas and New York are well represented in coins, unfortunately Ontario was not represented and they wanted a coin in thier collection from it.

But the coin isn't from Ontario. It's from Georgia. It just so happens that the coin has some Ontario emblems on it.

Hopefully the OGA, perhaps, can design and offer a real Ontario coin.

I would strongly suggest finding an alternate source. Dealing directly with a manufacturer would be advantageous in that the OGA would retain exclusive rights to the coin's distribution and possibly even get ownership of the die(s) and paint masks. Dealing through a third party in the equation, especially if located in Georgia, just adds more cost to the project and increases the chances of un-authorized sales at a later date.

Olar

I agree with Olar. Getting coins made isn't rocket science. We need a design (something the GA_Cacher group seems to do pretty well), and we need a manufacturer. Don't get a middleman involved unless absolutely necessary, and they bring some value to the table. Otherwise, they just increase the cost.

My two cents. Nice shiny double-struck ones too!

Good morning! Since I am one of those evil, profiteering Americans I thought I should answer this post.

Of the four members of our group, one is from Ontario and one lives in Ontario. Of the other two, one is a native Texan and the other is a native New Yorker. We all collect coins and geocache. The idea came about because although Texas and New York are well represented in coins, unfortunately Ontario was not represented and they wanted a coin in thier collection from it. After checking to see if there was an Ontario coin in the works and finding there wasn't, we stepped up, offered our services, posted our intent on the forums after contacting the local groups and then designed the coin. We believe the coin is representative of and uniquely Ontarian - your mileage may vary.

I understand that there are currently no geocoins available for Sri Lanka, El Salvadore or Khazakstan. Perhaps you guys could design coins for those places as well before someone beats you to it. :D

It's pretty hard to convince me that a geocoin designed in Georgia, by Georgians, for any area other than Georgia, is anything more than a money-making venture designed to take advantage of geocoin collectors. Not that there is anything wrong with that but at least be honest about it and admit that it was done to make money and not some lame excuse of filling the "hole" in somebody's geocoin collection. :P

Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to put my two cents in on this topic by giving you a little back story about this "Ontario" coin. I figure first though - since, let's face it, this is actually my first post to the forums and most of you have no clue who I am, I should first introduce myself a little...

My ID is "MadHattersNeverland" but most people call me "Jamie"

I was born and have lived my whole life in Ontario.

My main career is as a computer programmer, but on the side I do a ton of art work, mainly for the PEZ collecting community out there. (I'm sure some of you can see where this story is leading)

Anyway... through the PEZ community I made a great friend, you guys know him as "Team PEZ". He knew of my artistic tendencies and asked me to design a coin for his geocaching group - Team PEZ, GA Cacher, Thorny1, and one other and yes, they all live in GA - so I drew the first GA coin these guys put out (and from there, I've designed a dozen or so other coins for other people - different story though)

(I'm sorry if I'm a bit long winded, but I hope all this this will help get my point across) Anyway, back to the story...

So eventually, the 4th person left the group. Because of this, Team PEZ proposed that I join the group - even though I live 100s on kilometers away, I consider Team PEZ to be one of my closest friends. I had also come to know and be friends with the rest of the group so I agreed to join with one condition...

That the group was no longer a "Georgia" group as such, but just a great group of friends be damned where they live.

The first step to bringing this condition about was to mkae the Ontario coin - since there was already the Georgia coin, the Ontario coin would make a coin from each home residence of group members.

So - being the coin artist of the group - I designed the coin.

Therefore in all actuality, the coin was more made in Canada than in the US.

as for the pictures I chose to put on the coin...

FRONT:

I picked the trillium for two reasons: 1) they are the flower of Ontario, and 2) (more importantly to me) trilliums grow all over the forest across from my house - so it's a symbol of Ontario that I have personal experience with.

Also on the front, I put the shield of Ontario - why? Well I could have put CNN tower, or the parlement buildings, or Niagra Falls etc. - and in fact, on the first draft of the coin, I did. I removed them because they don't really represent all of Ontario (as some of you pointed out - and I agree).

Others asked for the maple leaf - a red maple leaf - to be on the coin.

Well the red maple leaf represents all of Canada not just Ontario. It's the yellow maple leaf that represents Ontario - so to feature the yellow leaf I used the shield.

BACK:

So as I said above, I wanted something that could represent all of Ontario... this is why I drew a "generic" forest scene with the moose... it can be seen basically anywhere in Ontario, be it Algonquin Park, or the forest across from my house.

As for the hiker - he's the same hike that appears on the Georgia coin that te group made - sort of a mascot.

So - I'm sorry I've been long winded, but I hope that if you read this far you understand that this coin is a view of Ontario from someone from Ontario... I just happen to have great friends in Georgia who helped make it happen

Thanks for reading,

Jamie

MadHattersNeverland

MadHattersNeverland.com

PS: if you're in the Ottawa-ish area, you'll could very well find a number of these coins in caches as I'll definitely be placing some out and about :(

"since there was already the Georgia coin, the Ontario coin would make a coin from each home residence of group members."

"So - being the coin artist of the group - I designed the coin."

"as for the pictures I chose to put on the coin..."

"I picked the trillium for two reasons:" 1)

"so it's a symbol of Ontario that I have personal experience with."

Also on the front, I put the shield of Ontario - why? Well I could have put CNN tower, or the parlement buildings, or Niagra Falls etc. - and in fact, on the first draft of the coin, I did. I removed them because they don't really represent all of Ontario (as some of you pointed out - and I agree).

"It's the yellow maple leaf that represents Ontario - so to feature the yellow leaf I used the shield."

"I wanted something that could represent all of Ontario... this is why I drew a "generic" forest scene with the moose..."

Please understand that I mean no hostility with this post, nor do I wish to incite an argument. I applaud your desire to have a coin like this and to make it part of your collection and of your group of friends and their collections.

That being said, it just seems that you have designed this coin for your group, yourself, and for your own best interests. I can see that you have put thought into what you feel other Ontarioans would have liked to see on the coin, but besides having a Trillium, this coin doesn't really reflect what I had read through the posts here, and even from within our own Central Ontario website's forums where GA Cacher also asked for input.

I appreciate your coming forth to explain why you feel this coin should be an Ontario-wide endeavor, but I just cannot bring myself to see it as that.

The Association has stated in the past that it did not have the resources to put out a coin.

What's to stop another group from putting out an Ontario coin?

If you don't like that one and don't consider it yours,

put a small group together, ask for everyone's input,

and come out with one of your own.

Just a tought.