Cache Containers

Preed825

I ran across one of these a few days ago. It was damp inside and smelled BAD. I'm not sure if it was because of the container type or just a poorly sealed lid, but I've heard others say that the plastic coffee containers aren't up to the task. I'm new at this, though, so you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

They leak and are designed to degrade. Poor choice in general. If you can find a sheltered spot, out of the weather it can work.

But generally you're gonna find yourself spending more money on gas taking trips out to dry it than you would had you shelled out $3-$4 a decent container in the first place.

Decontamination (aka Decon) containers make great small caches. Only problem I've seen with them is some people have trouble getting the lids back on tight.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?&item=559

Plastic peanut butter jars work well too but you MUST clean them very well. I wash them with Pine cleaner and have never had a crittter touch one. It's also a good idea to cover them with duct tape for extra protection from the elements.

Edited by Indotguy
Lock&Locks = "plain old Tupperware".. no they have an "O"-ring seal and a lockdown latch on all 4 sides of the lid. Hard to see in that picture. Real nice containers. I've been reading about them on these forums for a couple of years, just recently saw them in a store in my area.

I just got a report that one of two lock & locks I placed is leaking, and all wet. The cache is about a year old. I'm going to have to go replace it this weekend. I, too, had heard that they are good containers.

I think that ordinary small tupperware is the way to go. I live in Wall and all of the caches i've placed have been tupperware. It is kind of hard to hide an ammo can around where I live. I had three tupperware containers out there and the lid cracked after a good season. Ammo cans are probubly the best but around in Central NJ it is ten bucks just for one! You can take my opinion if you want, but for something in the 1 to 2 dolar range for a containers is the way to go. :lol:

Think of it this way: any container that has held food will still smell enough like food to the critters in the woods

This goes for coffee cans, margarine tubs, etc. You can wash them, but critters have much better noses than we do. Even a hint of "something yummy" inside is enough to get them to chew their way in. Either use a metal container (ammo box) or a watertight plastic container that has never held food (new Tupperware/Rubbermaid, etc)

Lock&Locks = "plain old Tupperware".. no they have an "O"-ring seal and a lockdown latch on all 4 sides of the lid. Hard to see in that picture. Real nice containers. I've been reading about them on these forums for a couple of years, just recently saw them in a store in my area.

I just got a report that one of two lock & locks I placed is leaking, and all wet. The cache is about a year old. I'm going to have to go replace it this weekend. I, too, had heard that they are good containers.

It happens. I've had a Lock & Lock or 2 leak but I've also had ammo cans leak on rare occasions. People leave a ziplock sticking out and the thing doesn't seal or the can gets bent.

I've tried every flavor of Rubbermaid and they all eventually leak.

It happens. I've had a Lock & Lock or 2 leak but I've also had ammo cans leak on rare occasions. People leave a ziplock sticking out and the thing doesn't seal or the can gets bent.

I've tried every flavor of Rubbermaid and they all eventually leak.

I've had very good luck with Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (with blue rim on lid). I've yet to have one leak and some have been out there over a year. I think the seal eventually deteriorates, and you probably should replace it eventually, but so far so good.

Real Tupperware seems to leak for some reason. Most of the Tupperware caches I've found were wet. Maybe the material warps or something. I have no idea why. Not only that, but Tupperware is pretty expensive.

I have had Lock n Locks and ammo boxes leak too, but instances have been extremely rare.

Plastic peanut butter jars work well too but you MUST clean them very well.  I wash them with Pine cleaner ...

Before using a peanut butter jar for a cache, please consider allergies:

Girl dies from peanut butter kiss

You MUST have misunderstood. Nice clean Peanut butter jars make respectable CACHE CONTAINERS. I would not recommend eating or kissing one of them. :lol:

Edited by Indotguy

Does anyone have a line on a magnetic micro container that's better than the usual key holders?

We're thinking of something that's a little larger (like Altoids box size) but waterproofed with O-rings, etc and made of some kind of industrial strength plastic. We'd like it to be large enough to hold a small log and pencil, etc. and maybe a couple coins or other items. Our best idea at this point is to add magnetic strips to a small box (like a Lock & Lock), but figured there must be something on the market along these lines.

Any leads?