Zip Code Coords

Lynn&Paul

Is there a reference for the oordinates that geocaching.com uses as the location for a zipcode? Or can someone recommend an accurate way of determining such?

I've got a puzzle cache that referes to "ground zero" of particular zipcodes, and I'm uncertain how best to start. I can get a map centered on that zipcode and try to correlate it to another map from which I can get cooords, but that seems terrible imprecise.

Geocaching.com doesn't make the determination; it obtained zipcode data from a third party.

To see the coordinates that are used as the centerpoint for a zipcode, run a search for nearest caches for that zipcode and then click on the "Map it" link. The coordinates will show up in the URL for the resulting map page.

We're trying to resolve this very same question. But we must not be understanding Keystone's explanation.

Are you saying you find the cache closest to the centerpoint, click "view map" (where's "Map It"?) and then the coordinates of the centerpoint will literally be contained in the resulting URL?

We must be doing it wrong, since we get different coordinates in the URL when we try the second closest cache to the centerpoint (if that makes sense). Wouldn't the same centerpoint be displayed in the second closest cache? In this case, the closest cache is 0.2 miles from the center, the second is 0.3 miles from the center.

We can pretty much figure out where the center is, but would like to know exactly. Thanks for any further explanation you can provide.

Are you saying you find the cache closest to the centerpoint, click "view map" (where's "Map It"?) and then the coordinates of the centerpoint will literally be contained in the resulting URL?

No... don't search based upon a geocache. Search by entering a zipcode on the hide and seek a cache page. The search uses the coordinates for the zipcode's centerpoint. In my zipcode, the nearest cache is .2 miles from the centerpoint.

Just click on "Map it" for the zipcode search, and you'll see the coordinates (in decimal format) in the URL.

Here' what Keystone is talking about (from the begining)

Logon to GC

On the left, there is a link to "Hid and seek caches" - click it

Down on that page, there is an option to find chaces by Zip Code,

- enter your zip code and click the button

On the results page, there is a graphic button in the top right that says "Map It" - click it

On the page showing the map, the URL (address) will have the coordinates for that Zip Code. For my home of 89015 the URL is such:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/getmap.aspx?lat=36.037&lon=-114.9947

Edited by Moose Mob