In The Bleak Mid Winter

Alibags

Just looking out of the window at some very spectacular clouds scudding past. The BBC this morning informed me that there would be 10" of snow in the highlands of Scotland and 4" on Dartmoor. I admit I am looking forwards to a bit of snow, have any of you seen any of this promised snow yet?

Also, I wonder what the experience of caching in the snow would be like. Tough to find them I would think and then lots of running round in circles to cover up one's trail perhaps?

As i type this the snow is streadily falling here in deepest Aberdeenshire. If it gets to an inch and 1/2 the school will phone and tell us to collect our children. The local shops will empty their shelves of bread, milk and tinned stuff, well it may last 48 hours you know!! :) how is it that the likes of Norway etc cope with feet and feet of snow yet our country grinds to a halt? :mad:

On the local radio though they are trying to get to a group of walkers that are stuck in a whiteout on Ben Macdui (where there is a cache) and the RAF have had to turn back their helicopter due to the high winds and conditions up there.

It did snow here once!

Dying for some to arrive, but it would have to be really bad before it arrives in Southampton.

Will head North over Christmas in the hope of seeing some!

I used t olive in Southampton, and every winter, us kids would hope for snow, and it wouldn't arrive.

I lived there for 15 years, and only ever had enough to build a snowman once. I had a very deprived childhood.

Fortunately, we used to visit my Dad's family in Kent around Christmas, so we used to see snow then. :mad:

I usually live in Scotland but one winter was studying in Southampton. About this time of year I popped into Halfords expecting to see the usual overflowing bins of de-icer and windscreen scrapers. No sign, so I asked and they looked at me as if I was from another planet. "No call for that round ere." and they were right, there wasn't.

Shouldn't an ellipsis have three dots...  :D  :P  :mad:

You are correct, but you did forget that an ellipsis is an entity in it's own right and doesn't replace the full stop, so your sentence should have ended with a fourth dot.

:)

EDIT - I think that's right...

Arrggh.

Edited by Kitty Hawk
:mad: ...You don't need to use a comma with "and".  :D  B)  :)

Mrs B

.....who's going away to annoy folks with a grammar thread  B)

:D:P:):D:D:D:huh::o;):P:)

(I tried to post more lols than that, but the forum won't let me!)

That was very funny! :D

No, seriously, please don't start a thread specially about grammar. There are a lot of people who have "An Inner Stickler" about spelling, and we should all endeavour to keep ours under control in a public forum.

Starting a thread about grammar / spelling will only upset anyone who can't spell.

An inch and a half?! If we have that much here in Hertfordshire, all hell breaks loose and we have to spend the night in our cars parked on the M11.

Fortunately, it only lasts for one day, and then it melts again.

That is so true. One bit of snow any everybody seems to go mental. Much revving and wheel spinning and creative parking in ditches to be seen. But it generally snows on 17th Feb* for one day, so this would be waaaaay to soon.

*according to Herts_Skip

Edited by Alibags

On the local radio though they are trying to get to a group of walkers that are stuck in a whiteout on Ben Macdui (where there is a cache) and the RAF have had to turn back their helicopter due to the high winds and conditions up there.

Just heard on the radio that the rescuers have reached the walkers and they are safe and well :mad::)

Back on topic;-no snow here yet (Luton) but we have had some hail and a terrific bolt of lightning and a huge thunderclap!!!!

OK here's a SNOWDUKO to while away the geocache evening indoors

All you have to do is remove the 'X'and replace it with the CORRECT NUMBER. This is a communal game so PLAY FAIR everyone, ONE NUMBER EACH and dont get it wrong.

X X X 5 X X X 4 X

X 8 5 X 2 4 3 X X

7 X X X X X X X 8

8 X X 6 X X X X 7

6 3 2 X 1 7 4 X X

4 X X 8 3 X X 2 9

X X 6 X X X X 1 X

X 9 X X X X X X X

X X 7 2 8 X X X 3

Hey this is fun - we might even get to do this at a meet!

I wonder what the experience of caching in the snow would be like. Tough to find them I would think and then lots of running round in circles to cover up one's trail perhaps?

I live in New England and last winter I went caching in the snow alot. My occasional caching friend had snowshoes, trekking poles and a shovel. He was well prepared. I had heavy, insulated boots, gators, ski pants and coat. He was able to get around much better than I although that didn't stop me from going out on trails with 3 or more feet of snow. I just seemed to sink way down with each step and expended alot more energy.

I swore that this year I would get poles and showshoes and carry a shovel. Unfortunately, I've broken my leg so I won't be out on the trails until spring.

It's actually alot of fun to cache in the snow. Try it - I think you'll like it.

Snowduku? LOL!! :P

Luckily I am not up my [insert anatomical improbability here] and do not mind the deviations nor the p*ss taking. Neither are as annoying as forum police!

BTW, Andybug and Ladybird, are you sure that the darkening skies, the huge clap of thunder, etc were not because Pharisee was approaching? :):mad::D

Edited by Alibags

If the rescuers turn out to be Cairngorm Mountain Rescue? Then the owner of that said cache, may well be putting his life on the line to rescue them.

As for Edinburgh there was the tiniest smidgen of snow today, if you had been indoors or blinked you would have missed it, we are expecting it for the weekend though?

It did snow here once!

Dying for some to arrive, but it would have to be really bad before it arrives in Southampton.

Will head North over Christmas in the hope of seeing some!

We'll be in Toronto by Boxing day - I'll bring you all cache loads of the stuff home!!!!

Then you must definitely visit Niagara Falls whilst you're there. I saw the Falls frozen in January 2001 and they were awesome! :mad:

whilst I'm also a huge fan of the white stuff (snow that is) :) I am hoping it doesn't snow just yet, as otherwise I can't ride my motorbike into work! And I do soooo hate standing on windswept stations paying a fortune to get to work in three times the length of time! :mad:

Several feet at the weekend and the all melted by monday would be ideal! :D

Ditto - and my new bike has its first service tomorrow so it would be so nice to be able to get it there and back safely!