Proposal: International Travel Bug Rescue League

rxzephyr

International Travelbug Rescue & Assistance Coalition – I.T.R.A.C.
HILL: Hitchikers International Liberation League

Are we not going to help GeoCoins along either?

If not, then I guess H for Hitchiker is not needed,

and T or TB should be used, and I like ITRAC as well.

If you want to keep ITRAC but include GeoCoins, you could always call it

International Traveler Rescue & Assistance Coalition instead of Travelbug.

International Travelbug Rescue & Assistance Coalition – I.T.R.A.C.
HILL: Hitchikers International Liberation League

Are we not going to help GeoCoins along either?

If not, then I guess H for Hitchiker is not needed,

and T or TB should be used, and I like ITRAC as well.

We will help coins as well. T - Could stand for Travelers or Trackables, But Travel Bugs are the most prevalent Traveler. As we get up and going and a web site is set up a full explanation of our services will be explained. We just need a catchy name at this point.

I did my best to come up with HELP but got nothing.

We could be

Hitchhikers Assistance & Rescue Coalition - H.A.R.C.

Hitchhikers Assistance & Rescue Partnership - H.A.R.P.

Hitchhiker Assistance Service

Global Assistance Society :)

Sounds like the noice I make while choking on a chicken bone. :unsure:

Hitchhikers Assistance & Rescue Partnership - H.A.R.P.

Did my wife suggest that one? That's what Snookie does to me when I tell her we're going geocaching instead of cleaning/working on the house. :( Seriously, I don't like it because of the negative slant that could be put on it. We "harp" on people when they take/don't move travellers.... Blech.

Hitchhikers Emergency Lost Placement

aka H.E.L.P.

aqs per GEO JOE's suggestion

No offence meant, but it just doesn't make sense to me. :lol:

It's quite obvious that the name was reverse engineered from the desired acronym, which really shouldn't be the way we come up with a name.

Hitchhiker

Emancatation

Liberation

League :mad:

I'm not even going to include this in the "poll". :(

Not only could it be offensive to some, but it's WAY too negative.

My 2 cents.

RXZ

Edited by rxzephyr

I've updated the list to include the modification to the (I)TRAC entries as suggested.

I just hope that, if that's the name that's adopted, that people don't think we'll be rescuing stranded tourists. :unsure:

Travel Bugs, Geocoins, any any other Hitchhiker type thing - I'm okay with.

I'll leave the "Rescue & Assistance" of actual Geocachers to the local SAR groups. :lol:

Semi-final list (~1 day left for nominations):

• ITBRL : International Travel Bug Rescue League
  • TRIP: Travelbug Rescue International Posse
  • HILL: Hitchikers International Liberation League
  • TBIRD: Travel Bug International Rescue Detachment
  • ITRAC: International Traveller Rescue & Assistance Coalition
  • TRAC: Traveller Rescue & Assistance Coalition

Edited by rxzephyr

Sounds like the noise I make while choking on a chicken bone. :anibad:

H.A.R.C. Where goes thow Travel Bug, DUH!

:D:anibad::lol::lol::lol::)

I still like International Travel Bug Rescue League

but my ego may make me vote for one of my suggestions ....must.......fight...........urge.....................................................................

:D:laughing: When I First posted TRIP I was just having fun. I wasn't serious. A few things standout here, We aren't a posse, or a detachment of anything. Hitchikers have thumbs (I know, Iknow..TBs, Coins,Ect.) Someone just wants to be called a Hillbilly!

We are: INTERNATIONAL

We deal with: TRAVELLERS (TBs,Coins,Ect.)

We do: RESCUE (The stalled, The abducted)

&

We go to the: ASSISTANCE (Of TB & Coin Owners)

We can Be a: COALILITION ( if we want to! )

So any good ideas for a name just shout out at you?

Why does all my nice spacing disappear from the actual posting, it was all lined up! well you get the idea! :D:P:D:D

I really like ITRAC, I think that says it all. Finally got my first CI rescue yesterday. Stranded bug in a cache not visited in over two months. I have read the postings after suggesting some policies for rescue. If you are going to call it a rescue only after two weeks then I think we lose legitimacy. That is just caching. I originally suggested 1 month. After reading the posts I agree that two months is much more reasonable for the purposes of this group. I totally agree with what someone said, that bugs should be moving. If bugs are being placed in caches with low activity or where they will have to sit through the winter frozen, perhaps that was not a good placement for a travel bug (imho).

I really belive that we need a logo and standards. There should not be a free for all, deciding what to do as individuals. I did not see responses to my suggestions for CI, MIA and HR. I hope that those may be the standard types of rescue taken on.

Looks like ITRAC is winning since it's had 3 or 4 vocal supporters. I think we'll end up adopting that name (with the T referring to traveller. :lol: )

In other news, Frappr! has added "Forum" support to the website which gives us the perfect place to discuss active rescues, etc. Unfortunately, with the name change pending, we have to decide what we want to do with the Frappr! website. Do we want to create a new Frappr website once the name is settled on?

RXZ

I did not see responses to my suggestions for CI, MIA and HR.  I hope that those may be the standard types of rescue taken on.

Then let's re-open the debate. ;) Recapping from the original message:

CI (Cache Inactivity): Travel bugs that have been left in a cache that has had no activity for a prolonged period of time. My suggestion would be to launch a rescue mission after two months of inactivity to get the bug moving again.

MIA (Missing in Action): Travel bugs that have gone missing from the last cache they were logged in. Some may not log the bug for some time so again I would suggest bugs missing with no log activity for over two months start the SAR investigation.

HR (Hostage Rescue): Travel bugs that have been in the hands of a cacher for an extended period of time.  No successful correspondance with cacher holding the cache and a two month idle period before a rescue mission is launched.

I have modified the definitions slightly based on some previous comments.

I like the classifications with the exception of "Hostage Rescue". I think we have to come up with a 'friendlier' name that means the same thing. Remember, we don't want to antagonize someone because that can make them uncooperative.

For MIA and HR, I really believe that we should wait for the Traveller Owner to contact us and ask that we get involved. That might cause trouble while we're a relatively unknown group, but.... *shrugs* I'm open to changing my mind - someone just needs to convince me. :lol:

RXZ

HR (Hostage Rescue): Travel bugs that have been in the hands of a cacher for an extended period of time.  No successful correspondance with cacher holding the cache and a two month idle period before a rescue mission is launched.

I'd use "BR", Bug Rescue.

Edited by magellan315
Looks like ITRAC is winning since it's had 3 or 4 vocal supporters.  I think we'll end up adopting that name (with the T referring to traveller:blink: )

In other news, Frappr! has added "Forum" support to the website which gives us the perfect place to discuss active rescues, etc.  Unfortunately, with the name change pending, we have to decide what we want to do with the Frappr! website.  Do we want to create a new Frappr website once the name is settled on?

I would suggest editing the current Frappr page,

if at all possible, or creating a new one and messaging

everyone on it to register on the new one, if not.

Better use the chosen acronym, so as not to confuse future visitors.

Looks like ITRAC is winning since it's had 3 or 4 vocal supporters.  I think we'll end up adopting that name (with the T referring to traveller:blink: )

In other news, Frappr! has added "Forum" support to the website which gives us the perfect place to discuss active rescues, etc.  Unfortunately, with the name change pending, we have to decide what we want to do with the Frappr! website.  Do we want to create a new Frappr website once the name is settled on?

I would suggest editing the current Frappr page,

if at all possible, or creating a new one and messaging

everyone on it to register on the new one, if not.

Better use the chosen acronym, so as not to confuse future visitors.

I agree that just editing the Frappr map title is best.

Traveler Rescue instead of Hostage Rescue

I like the goal of each category and would like to add Traveler Missing Action - To encourage TB Owners and/or Cacher Owners to mark a TB as missing after a period time and an unsuccessful SAR attempt.

For MIA and HR, I really believe that we should wait for the Traveler Owner to contact us and ask that we get involved. That might cause trouble while we're a relatively unknown group, but.... *shrugs* I'm open to changing my mind - someone just needs to convince me.

I have found that the sooner a person is contacted the more likely they are to log the TB and get it back in a cache. Also when I visit a cache or notice a log on a local cache where a cacher removed a traveler without logging it I will contact the owner with an update and usually contact the person that grabbed the bug to encourage them to log the bug. If the person has not logged onto GC.com in 2 months or more they are less likely to respond. I guess at the point that I contact the owner I can introduce them to ITRAC and our services.

GEO..JOE

Edited by GEO.JOE
I agree that just editing the Frappr map title is best.

Unfortunately, unless I'm a total blockhead, I can't find an option to just change the title of the page. I'm thinking that the TITLE of the page is linked to http://www.frappr.com/whatgoeshere.

That's why I suggested that we might need to create a new group. Would be interesting to see just how many people would be

I was thinking perhaps if the guys from Frappr! would be able to help us. *shrugs*

Move the existing members and/or put in an automatic forward from the old named site to the new named site. *shrugs* As I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Traveler Rescue instead of Hostage Rescue

I like that one too.

I like the goal of each category and would like to add Traveler Missing Action - To encourage TB Owners and/or Cacher Owners to mark a TB as missing after a period time and an unsuccessful SAR attempt.

Not 100% clear on the TMA. Can you elaborate a little more?

I have found that the sooner a person is contacted the more likely they are to log the TB and get it back in a cache. Also when I visit a cache or notice a log on a local cache where a cacher removed a traveler without logging it I will contact the owner with an update and usually contact the person that grabbed the bug to encourage them to log the bug. If the person has not logged onto GC.com in 2 months or more they are less likely to respond. I guess at the point that I contact the owner I can introduce them to ITRAC and our services.

Again, I want to emphesise that we do not want to become the Traveller Police here. (Even though that's essentially what we've become.) The last thing we need to do is antagonize both the Traveller Holder AND the Traveller Owner. They might be working things out on their own and don't need to involve a 3rd party.

More thoughts?

RXZ

Edited by rxzephyr

I have seen were travel bugs have been missing for over 2 years and they are still listed on the cache page as being in the cache. Frequent logs mention that the TB is no longer in the cache however, neither the Bug owner nor the cacher owner have been curtious enough to mark the bug as missing so it no longer shows in the cache.

This is pushing the boundery of TB police. It is one of my pet peves that over half the logs mention a TB that has not been a cache since before I started caching and no one has marked it missing. Sorry my egocentric way of thinking that "everyone SHOULD do things my way" came out in that suggestions - it is times like this that my wife reminds me that I am thinking too much like my dad and she won't live with my dad, ;) lol.

Joe

I have seen were travel bugs have been missing for over 2 years and they are still listed on the cache page as being in the cache. Frequent logs mention that the TB is no longer in the cache however, neither the Bug owner nor the cacher owner have been curtious enough to mark the bug as missing so it no longer shows in the cache.

This is pushing the boundery of TB police. It is one of my pet peves that over half the logs mention a TB that has not been a cache since before I started caching and no one has marked it missing. Sorry my egocentric way of thinking that "everyone SHOULD do things my way" came out in that suggestions - it is times like this that my wife reminds me that I am thinking too much like my dad and she won't live with my dad, B) lol.

Joe

When I've gone to a cache where the bug has been mssing for a long time, more than three months. I've contacted the approver and asked them to have the bug listed as missing, works fine for me.

maybe someone can help this bug

Posted: Dec 27 2005, 05:04 AM

Premium Member

I had a TB ,(Cabbella Bear,) removed from the "Camo Cache in the Hills" in the Pittsburgh area by a cacher named "The Crawdad Kids" on Thanksgiving day, 2004. I would like to get ahold of them to find out where it went. They failed to log it and I can't find any other info about where my bug is at. I am sorry, but there is no reward offered-----YET.

Skyraider

I joined yesterday and I am putting in a vote for ITRAC.

I am looking for some advice or guidence. I realize that there are many TB's that have been hoarded for much longer (so you can tell me if I just need to be patient) but this one is going on 2 1/2 months and the cacher has been to 3 caches since. The last two cachers have had this TB for over 5 months and it is making it so everybody else cannot log it. It is a Jeep TB and all the other cachers moved it very quickly. The reason I care is because these Tb's do not come to this part of the world very often and when the do they are hoarded. Let me know what you think. The TB can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...b1-5ab8652a4f11

Let me know what I should do. Thanks for any help. :o

Hippie B

I joined yesterday and I am putting in a vote for ITRAC.

I am looking for some advice or guidence. I realize that there are many TB's that have been hoarded for much longer (so you can tell me if I just need to be patient) but this one is going on 2 1/2 months and the cacher has been to 3 caches since. The last two cachers have had this TB for over 5 months and it is making it so everybody else cannot log it. It is a Jeep TB and all the other cachers moved it very quickly. The reason I care is because these Tb's do not come to this part of the world very often and when the do they are hoarded. Let me know what you think. The TB can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...b1-5ab8652a4f11

Let me know what I should do. Thanks for any help. ;)

Hippie B

(Lucky for those of you in the ITRAC, you get to hear my opinion.)

Nobody owes you a travel bug, nobody owes you a jeep.

Edited by BlueDeuce
;) I just ignore the jeeps. If I find one fine, if not fine. Decided this after looking in several caches that had them listed and found that they'ed been gone for months and no one logged them out. I went to an event where there were several that people were passing around to copy numbers off. Decided thats not my game, thank you. I dislike what I've seen and how people hold on to them. Travel bugs should move along. Edited by wiseye
Nobody owes you a travel bug, nobody owes you a jeep.

Agreed, that is why I am trying to EARN one.

Ah...,okay.

Well, you can bust your butt trying to get one from a cache.

You can attend events where one is dropped

Or you can see if someone is willing to 'pass one' along to you via the Postal system or personal hand-off.

No sarcasm, that's just the way it works.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm going to close this thread since I believe we're going to adopt the new name "International Traveller Rescue & Assistance Coalition" (ITRAC) and create 2 new threads to better organize our activities.

Thread #1: ITRAC Discussion & Development

This will be where we continue our discussions on how we can improve on the ITRAC organization and functionality.

Thread #2: ITRAC Open Cases, Reports & Updates

This will be where we begin to co-ordinate rescues and take in reports where we might be able to help out.

I want to thank everyone for their support thus far. I still believe that this fledgling association can do good things and put the focus back on travellers which disappear. Maybe simply through educating people about how important it is to keep travel bugs on the go and that these are really important things to the people who send them out that we can see fewer travellers go missing.

I want to take this time to give a special thank you to "blackjack65" and his friend "vince44" for rescuing one of my travel bugs that I had thought might have been destroyed in Hurricane Wilma this past fall. Super Kudos to these two for getting "Grandma" back on her travels.

RXZ