Proposal: International Travel Bug Rescue League

rxzephyr

I started to discuss this idea in one of my other threads, but it probably deserves it's own topic.....

I'm thinking about setting up the "International Travel Bug Rescue League". Basically, the premice would be to link TB owners with local Geocachers/GC Associations who might be able to rescue a TB which has been stranded in an infrequently visited/high terrain cache. As well, this group might even be able to help locate a bug which has been "abducted" by someone - the rescuer might know the abducter in question (heck, you may have been the person who introduced them to the sport!) and can get the TB from them and put it back into circulation.

I like the name International Travel Bug Rescue League because it sounds formal and impressive - think International Rescue (aka Thunderbirds), League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, Justice League. I guess I'm just a closet super hero/comic book fanatic or something. However, people have already suggested some names built to build a "cool" acronym, like Travelbug Rescue International Posse or TRIP.

Personally, if people think the concept is good & sound, and isn't already being done someplace, I'm looking for some technical help in setting this up.

RXZ

International Travel Bug Rescue League

Reuniting Bugs with Cachers

Edited by rxzephyr

As mentioned, sign me up for the

Quebec/Eastern Ontario/Northern Vermont/North-Eastern New York area.

I do not belong to an official association, as we do not have one quite yet in Quebec,

but I am really interested in helping with such a concept.

I have a little filter setup in GSAK to see all caches with TBs

that have not been visited in the last 2 weeks,

which would help for Travel Bus stuck in caches.

I don't know how to set one up to find TBs in caches visited recently,

but where the TB itself has not been touched.

And I can think of no toll that would allow to list TBs in someone's hands

for more then 2 weeks.

Sounds like a neat idea, but I think the most we can do is "rescue" tb's that have been in a not so visited cache, and place it in a cache that is more likely to send

it on its way.

Rescuing stranded bugs is one thing that this group certainly can do, however I really do believe that there's more that could be done.

Most people are introduced to geocaching by a friend or relative, so my plan is to try and put Travel Bug owners in contact with that friend....or a friend of the friend....

Let's say that someone has a travel bug of yours for going on 6 months. Repeated emails to that individual have gone unanswered. Through some investigation, you're pretty sure that the person holding the TB is in Nova Scotia, Canada. So, you head on over to the Rescue League and provide them with this information. Turns out that there's a Geocaching Association which covers that location - the Maritime Geocaching Association (www.maritimegeocaching.com) - so this investigation is passed to their representative. The MGA Rep does some digging and finds a friend of the TB holder who will then head out and see if they can retrieve the bug......

In that case, it's just about giving people an EASY way to get in touch with people willing to help out in different locations around the world..... It's not always clear which areas have GC Associations.....and as we can see from previous posters, sometimes there are INDIVIDUALS who are willing to help out as well!

Make sense?

And, as was said before, this group does not condone violence in any way, shape or form. It's not about punishing the abductors - it's about saving travel bugs.

RXZ

Sounds like a neat idea, but I think the most we can do is "rescue" tb's that have been in a not so visited cache, and place it in a cache that is more likely to send

it on its way.

Rescuing stranded bugs is one thing that this group certainly can do, however I really do believe that there's more that could be done.

Most people are introduced to geocaching by a friend or relative, so my plan is to try and put Travel Bug owners in contact with that friend....or a friend of the friend....

Let's say that someone has a travel bug of yours for going on 6 months. Repeated emails to that individual have gone unanswered. Through some investigation, you're pretty sure that the person holding the TB is in Nova Scotia, Canada. So, you head on over to the Rescue League and provide them with this information. Turns out that there's a Geocaching Association which covers that location - the Maritime Geocaching Association (www.maritimegeocaching.com) - so this investigation is passed to their representative. The MGA Rep does some digging and finds a friend of the TB holder who will then head out and see if they can retrieve the bug......

In that case, it's just about giving people an EASY way to get in touch with people willing to help out in different locations around the world..... It's not always clear which areas have GC Associations.....and as we can see from previous posters, sometimes there are INDIVIDUALS who are willing to help out as well!

Make sense?

And, as was said before, this group does not condone violence in any way, shape or form. It's not about punishing the abductors - it's about saving travel bugs.

RXZ

I said I just wanted to carry a weapon not use it. :D

I might be a bit new to post this, but I can offer some help in the south central pennsylvania and north central maryland area.

I don't know many cachers in the area (yet), but my work schedule gives me 8 days off straight before a 5 day rotation at the ambulance building. So I have plenty of free time to hunt inactive or under-used caches to assist.

If I'm still too green, no worries =) hopefully I'll rectify that on Saturday when I go out again on a 20+ hunt in the south central pennsylvania (mainly York and Lancaster counties).

Even if I am too green to help, I enjoy the idea!

PS: I haven't found an association in my area (again, yet) so I don't belong to one. If someone points me that'd be great, for now tho I'll help as an individual :D

Edited by FreeWheelin4x4

I already try to rescue TB's as a hobby so I am interested in helping in the River Valley Region of West KY, Southern IL, South East MO and North West TN. I am an active member of the River Valley Geocachers and frequently communicate with members of 5 other groups in the surrounding states.

If you like the idea I have even set up a frappr map to make it easer to locate others.

As well, this group might even be able to help locate a bug which has been "abducted" by someone - the rescuer might know the abducter in question (heck, you may have been the person who introduced them to the sport!) and can get the TB from them and put it back into circulation.

Here's a mission for you: we have a couple of TBs in need of rescuing. Unforuntately they are abductees, rather than just being stranded in a remote cache, so I'm not sure that there's much hope for them:

His Addictions, picked up by Zippy & The Crew from the Neighborwood cache in South Carolina on March 11, 2005. He has only logged one cache since then (and it was a micro, so he couldn't have dropped the bug there). Has not been to the GC site since April 2, 2005. Did not respond to email sent in June and October.

Her Addictions, picked up by Winston_Smith from the Lebanon Travel Bug Hotel in New Hampshire on April 23, 2005. He listed the TB pickup in the cache log, but never logged the TB itself. He has not logged a cache since the the day after that, but still logs on to the site -- his last visit was Nov 5, 2005. Did not respond to email in May and July. Email sent in October bounced back as undeliverable.

If anyone knows these guys, or knows someone who knows them...

Well guys & gals, there are a few tbs in my area that have not traveled in weeks or months. 3 are missing, but one is my own tb! :huh: Please visit "Hike or Drive" (in NJ) and send "The Jersey Mine" on its way.

I will see what I can do this weekend and next week to send the others on their way.

Does that make me and official "HILL BILLIE"? :)

If you like the idea I have even set up a frappr map to make it easer to locate others.

This was such a cool idea, I just have to comment on it. Kudos to GEO JOE for setting this baby up. If you sign up and belong to a Geocaching Association, make note of it in the "Shout Out" box.

Hopefully someone from South Carolina will join up and go on the hunt for the first reported MIA's.

RXZ

I have even set up a frappr map to make it easer to locate others.

I have tried putting myself on the map, but it did nor work.

Maybe it's because I declined to create an account.

Shouldn't have to. I didn't at first and it added me to the list, however I went back and changed that. Looks like only people who are members of Frappr! are able to get the "Message" option - and that would be kinda important in getting people in contact with you. :huh:

RXZ

Sounds like a reasonable idea to us, so we've signed up for the west coast (Downunder)...

although western australia covers over 2,525,500 sq. km's we'll need a little help to cut down the fuel costs :rolleyes:

I think it's great to see 3 Australian's already signed up for this - so immediately we have representation in 3 different countries making us truely an International Effort!

Now we just need to spread the word and get our first success story!

RXZ

Mabey a quick post to the country sites would add to the international feel of the league. I had the link added to the Aussie site and that is why it has produced a few members from there.

Without doing some research I know that belgium has an active site, but my flemish is terrible.

As well, this group might even be able to help locate a bug which has been "abducted" by someone - the rescuer might know the abducter in question (heck, you may have been the person who introduced them to the sport!) and can get the TB from them and put it back into circulation.

Here's a mission for you: we have a couple of TBs in need of rescuing. Unforuntately they are abductees, rather than just being stranded in a remote cache, so I'm not sure that there's much hope for them:

His Addictions, picked up by Zippy & The Crew from the Neighborwood cache in South Carolina on March 11, 2005. He has only logged one cache since then (and it was a micro, so he couldn't have dropped the bug there). Has not been to the GC site since April 2, 2005. Did not respond to email sent in June and October.

Her Addictions, picked up by Winston_Smith from the Lebanon Travel Bug Hotel in New Hampshire on April 23, 2005. He listed the TB pickup in the cache log, but never logged the TB itself. He has not logged a cache since the the day after that, but still logs on to the site -- his last visit was Nov 5, 2005. Did not respond to email in May and July. Email sent in October bounced back as undeliverable.

If anyone knows these guys, or knows someone who knows them...

Hello I got started with His addictions.

I have sent Email to Zippy & The Crew and posted on South Carolina Geocachers Association Forum. http://www.iscga.org/a/index.php

Zippy & The Crew have only cached in Columbia SC and mostly in zip codes 29169 and 29171.

We will see where this goes.

Well.....I have to vent.

I've tried to promote this group by making some postings into some of the Groundspeak Country-specific or US Regional groups and had my postings closed/locked in some (fair) and deleted without warning (I know I posted in some groups and the posting has disappeared.) I feel that qualifying my posts as "spam" is unfair and just needed to get that off my chest.

Anyway, water under the bridge. We'll have to find some other way to promote this fledgling group. We can do good work and I'm trying to not let this get to me.

18 people and growing.

Make sure you don't just post here and sign up on the Frappr! Map!

RXZephyr

http://www.frappr.com/internationaltravelbugrescueleague

Edited by rxzephyr

I saw your note in the Canada forum. The moderator just closed the thread due to cross posting, but your initial post is still there and has the link to bring me over here.

I have a couple of questions...

Do we get cool shirts and hats? If I'm gonna be part of something important and official, I think I'll need to wear an important and official looking shirt and hat while I'm seaching for stray bugs. One of those cool dashboard signs for the car would be great too. "Don't tow this vehicle...Travel Bug Hunter ON CALL"

If we find a cacher who refuses to "give up" and surrender the TB to the TB Police, what are our options? Can we use force? Should we make mean faces? Can we make a citizens arrest? Can we lie and tell them we know Jeremy and they'll "be in BIG trouble if they don't cooperate"? Should we just cry?

Once we have the missing bugs in our (bloodied?) hands, what's the next step? Return it directly to the owner? Place it in an accessible cache? Give it to a friend that is in the "just getting interested in this geocaching thing" stage? Maybe just hand it over to a passing 6 year old and hope for the best?

It's a great idea! But we need RULES and REGULATIONS man!

And don't forget about the cool t-shirts and hats.

:rolleyes:

Well.....I have to vent.

I've tried to promote this group by making some postings into some of the Groundspeak Country-specific or US Regional groups and had my postings closed/locked in some (fair) and deleted without warning (I know I posted in some groups and the posting has disappeared.) I feel that qualifying my posts as "spam" is unfair and just needed to get that off my chest.

Anyway, water under the bridge. We'll have to find some other way to promote this fledgling group. We can do good work and I'm trying to not let this get to me.

18 people and growing.

Make sure you don't just post here and sign up on the Frappr! Map!

RXZephyr

http://www.frappr.com/internationaltravelbugrescueleague

From the Forum Guidelines linked at the top of every page of the Forums:

Posting Messages: Posting the same message to many topics or boards is considered spam. Duplicate messages will be deleted or consolidated by our moderators. Please do your best to post new topics to the appropriate forum board, moderators will move topics that are posted inappropriately.

The moderators did exactly what is asked of us in enforcing the quoted guideline. I will ask at this time that you keep the posts to this thread on-topic. The Travel Bug forum is the proper location for discussion of your idea. Thanks.

It's a great idea! But we need RULES and REGULATIONS man!

I think that in most cases, normal travel bug transportation rules will apply.

If you're rescuing a TB from an infrequently visited cache, move it to a more frequently visited cache and get it back on it's way just like a travel bug you would have picked up on your own.

If you're attempting to retrieve a TB from someone who has "abducted" it, chances are that you know this individual from outside of geocaching or have met face-to-face at a geocaching event. I think in most cases, these people will be reasonable when you confront them. After all - in that case, you're more than just letters on a screen.

However, I'm certainly not against a League Charter and a statement of Guidelines/Ettiquite. Anyone who wants to take a stab at writing it, go for it and post to the forum for feedback. Personally, I'd hesitate to call them "Rules" or "Regulations" as we're not a sanctioned body from Groundspeak. We're just a bunch of volunteers who want to do what's best for the sport.

My 2 cents worth.

:RXZephyr

24 members

We're in too, but we also have a vested interest. Our 'Plato Platypus' TB was collected from the Seaside Beach cache in Oregon on July 1st, 2004. His 'captors' haven't been near geocaching.com since July 4th 2004 and haven't responded to emails. We'd be grateful for any assistance the League can offer.

Create a bookmark list like this one

link

People post to this thread with the cache they need visiting and it gets added to the list. When the TB goes the cache is removed from the list.

You need criteria like cache must be unvisited for x months i suggest 6 months based on the dust off experience and contain a TB.

Events are not TB black holes people who take bugs and keep them are tb black holes

Mark, this works for some missing TB's. Tb's go missing for a few different reasons, though. Right now I have a missing TB that would not be helped by visiting a specific cache. It was put out by the last holders, but they did not log it. So if they really did put it out, then all I know is the general geographic area and maybe the list of caches they visited around the time they said they let it go.

On another note... Having an official group like this may help us encourage TPTB to make some changes over time to help TB's stay in circulation. Many of you have probably seen my lobbying for a change in the logging procedure for TB's that would all but eliminate ONE reason for missing TB's. here is a summary for those who have not seen my posts in other threads:

Many TB's die because after the cacher logs that they have found the TB, they get credit for the TB. This reduces the incentive to keep careful track of the TB until they put it back in another cache. Many TB's get tossed to the kids in the back of the van, put in the bottom of backpacks, lost in a closet, or just put into a cache without logging it. If you could not get credit for a TB until your SECOND log where you sent it on it's way, this particular problem would almost disappear.

Many people correctly point out that this is only one reason TB's disappear. However, if we address all the different reasons one at a time and come up with improvements that help each specific reason, then TB's overall would have a higher success rate.

I have talked to many cachers about TB's. I hear a lot that people choose not to participate or own only a few TB's because so many go missing. Some have told me that at 4 or 5 dollars a TB, they just can not afford to participate in an activity with such a high failure rate.

I really like the TB concept. I have purchased several, but only put out one. The others I gave away to people that have never owned a TB. Anything we can do to make TB's more successful should be encouraged!

Mark, this works for some missing TB's. Tb's go missing for a few different reasons, though. Right now I have a missing TB that would not be helped by visiting a specific cache. It was put out by the last holders, but they did not log it. So if they really did put it out, then all I know is the general geographic area and maybe the list of caches they visited around the time they said they let it go.

That in theory should not be too hard to solve. If they know what day they dropped it then you only have to search the caches they logged that day.

Now if they only can guess at a time frame then that does complicate things.

If you could not get credit for a TB until your SECOND log where you sent it on it's way, this particular problem would almost disappear.

I think that is a great idea and should be relatively easy to implement since it should not affect any GUI modifications.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what about Bugs that cachers have taken and never logged. I have one (TBGJXA ) that was taken from a cache in Spain and the cacher has posted that he has it but has yet to log the Bug or move it. It has been over 10 months since he picked up the bug and he has logged other caches since then.

I would also be willing to be part of the rescue team from the Vancouver area of British Columbia Canada.

There are sure to be some instances of TB problems that are hard to solve. My suggestion of implementing the credit on the second log is easy. Solving your problem is harder, but this rescue league may help by bringing some local pressure on the cacher. For example, if your bug was near me, I would offer to meet the cacher that has it and take it off their hands and move it on myself. Maybe someone in Spain will eventually be able to do the same for you.

The just plain stealing of a TB because it's cute and someone wants it is largely unpreventable. In that case, there would probably not be any log to go on. Just seeing who logged the cache it disappears out of might not help either since people who would steal a TB probably would not log the cache and provide evidence that they were there!

I agree but it adresses one of the issues of TB's stranded in unvisited caches or even worse languishing in TB prison.

Yes it does, and I certainly don't mean to imply otherwise. There are several ways that TB's die and my suggestion is just a way to fix one of them. Other people like you will be sure to have ideas on solving other TB crimes!

If we can get the attention of TPTB at Groundspeak and get 2 or 3 changes made, I'll bet that we could reduce the number of missing TB's by 50% in 6 months or so.

This is probably to the benefit of Groundspeak also. Not just because it improves the game, but because if TB's were more reliably completing their missions, more people would play and more TB's would be sold.