Trimble Gps

Airmapper

I use alot of Trimble products at work including

http://www.keypre.com/product_detail.asp?p=580015146

http://www.keypre.com/product_detail.asp?p=5000082

Yes the accuracy is incredible, but as was said before the Cache is only as close as the placers GPS. Besides its more fun to wander around a tree for two hours looking for the cache only to find out it is in the next tree over. :mad:

But imagine if you set a cache with it, that would almost be too easy. Only the one end would have position error. :D

The part I most liked about it was the ability to use the internet, and GPS in the same package. Plus the rugged case. That combination alone makes it great for caching, the incredible accuracy is just a side effect. And don't forget finding Benchmarks, some types do have extremely accurate horizontal accuracy.

Of course, who could afford it. The same people who leave gold bars as swag. Like I said before, what's it hurt to drool over something a little.

Frankly, I'm interested in subfoot accuracy. I've always strived for the best that my GPS can give. I talked about accuracy and have heard back from too many people that seem to be sloppy with their coordinates and expect to be looking for a needle in a haystack that is sixty feet in diameter. Well, I'd like to kick it up to a higher level. I'm a ham radio operator and a pilot so am interested in both the technology and accuracy of the commercial GPS units. The money is not that much for them. People will spend $25,000 or more for a gas guzzling cache mobile and try to find a Garmin GPSMAP 60 for just a couple hundred dollars. So, I don't see several thousand dollars for a GOOD GPS unit as out of line.

Enjoy geocaching as you wish. I'm looking for something on a higher level. I'm wanting to hear from like minded people interested in the possibilities such instruments open.

*crickets*

Looks like thats all you buddy! I'm sure Trimble would be MORE than happy to sell you one! I would also look into a bodyguard to take with you as you cache with your $5,500 gpsr. :laughing:

Frankly, I'm interested in subfoot accuracy. I've always strived for the best that my GPS can give. I talked about accuracy and have heard back from too many people that seem to be sloppy with their coordinates and expect to be looking for a needle in a haystack that is sixty feet in diameter. Well, I'd like to kick it up to a higher level. I'm a ham radio operator and a pilot so am interested in both the technology and accuracy of the commercial GPS units. The money is not that much for them. People will spend $25,000 or more for a gas guzzling cache mobile and try to find a Garmin GPSMAP 60 for just a couple hundred dollars. So, I don't see several thousand dollars for a GOOD GPS unit as out of line.

Enjoy geocaching as you wish. I'm looking for something on a higher level. I'm wanting to hear from like minded people interested in the possibilities such instruments open.

We have some of those units at the Forest Service for some of the GIS guys. Those things are quite the spiffy little pieces of hardware. From what I also understand, normal individuals will never get the insane lower accuracy without very special certifications, and decryption keys. All of that stuff is locked out to prevent the "bad guys" from using it in targeting systems.

If you have the money go for it!

Honestly a handheld Trimble survey grade GPS is not much without a base station. According to what I've read and talked about with a surveyor I worked for you need a base and a rover. The fancy handheld is the "rover" that uses both GPS and corrections from the base to give true subfoot accuracy in a handheld.

So, if you want to go caching with true subfoot accuracy you'll need the $6,000 handheld, paired with a base unit that all in all will cost around 10- 20 thousand or more.

I use alot of Trimble products at work including

http://www.keypre.com/product_detail.asp?p=580015146

http://www.keypre.com/product_detail.asp?p=5000082

Yes the accuracy is incredible, but as was said before the Cache is only as close as the placers GPS. Besides its more fun to wander around a tree for two hours looking for the cache only to find out it is in the next tree over. :tired:

I work with Trimble GPSr products & software. Can anyone tell me the secret to loading GPX or LOC files to the trimble Device? :laughing::laughing:

The subfoot accuracy would only be usable for placing a cache not finding one.It says subfoot with postprocessing which means you would have to run it through your computer at home to get that accuracy level.And like many others have said useless unless the hider used one to place the cache as well.Besides given good signal and plenty of time to settle my sirf 3 bluetooth reciver has gotten .0001 accuracy against a highly accurate benchmark I think thats close enough