Magellan Explorist 400 Bundle At Costco - ?

FotoCEO

Costco has the Magellan eXplorist 400 bundled with MapSend Topo 3D USA, a 256 MB SD card and a case for $350. For those of you who have this GPS, are you happy with it? Would you buy it again. What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?

Also, is this a good deal?

We are just getting started and it's been a while since I've been researching these.

Thanks!

Joni

The 400 has some nice things about it, although you should be sure to read the explorist buglist thread to know what you might encounter. I'm a bit sour on Magellan at present (more for general policies and attitude than for their products per se).

As far as the Costco deal, I took a quick look at Compuplus and saw the 400 going for $232 and Topo3D for $62. Considering that a 256MB card can be had for less than $10 with rebates and promotions and that the case is not that special, I don't think I would regard the Costco package as compelling.

I would suppose sales tax at Costco would offset shipping costs from Compuplus. I am certain the $50 rebate applies to the Compuplus sale, I presume it would also apply to the Costco package but I'd have to go back and look at the fine print.

i noticed a packaged explorist 400 on tigergps the other day, its called the wilderness bundle and is exactly what you were talking about. it is going for $299 on there, which i thought was a awsome deal. also notice that the 400 isnt the white one, is a forest green version.

wilderness bundle

thats very interesting forrest green, I wonder if they have the new firmware on those models compared to the grey ones.? hummm , but that is a good deal.

The bundle that is online is a explorist 500. Comes with a case, 256mb card, 12 volt adapter, and Topo 3D. $350.00 after rebate. The best thing about buying from Costco is that if you keep all the packaging you can easily return it if you have a problem.

I have the 400, which is pretty much the same thing as the 500 less the color screen. I really like mine. There are some issues with the explorists, but none so big that it would stop me from buying one.

thats very interesting forest green, I wonder if they have the new firmware on those models compared to the grey ones.? hummm , but that is a good deal.

If you look at the eXplorist 400 manual on Magellan's site, the GPSr on the cover is dark green. It's been like that for months. I think Magellan used a bad image, like the color shifted somehow. I'm wondering if the websites are using that same bad image.

i noticed a packaged explorist 400 on tigergps the other day, its called the wilderness bundle and is exactly what you were talking about. it is going for $299 on there, which i thought was a awsome deal. also notice that the 400 isnt the white one, is a forest green version.

wilderness bundle

i think the color is the real deal, on tiger gps if you read the info, it states "Magellan eXplorist 400 Wilderness Bundle. You get a limited-edition green eXplorist 400"

i think the color is the real deal, on tiger gps if you read the info, it states "Magellan eXplorist 400 Wilderness Bundle. You get a limited-edition green eXplorist 400"

Aha! Quoting the product's FAQ list on the page linked earlier in this thread:

Magellan eXplorist 400 Frequently Asked Quesions:

Q: What is the difference between the Magellan eXplorist 400 white and eXplorist 400 green?

A: The green-casing eXplorist is part of the Wilderness Bundle only; the white-casing eXplorist 400 comes in the standard package. There is no difference in quality or specifications.

This is interseting, I have seen two explorist 400s in the past two weeks in local stores, one was snow white and one was an off white, like a light beige.

Edit to add.

I wish the more expensive GPSrs were offered in bright colors. Yellow, Orange or Red, it would make it a lot easier to find one when you drop it.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
This is interseting, I have seen two explorist 400s in the past two weeks in local stores, one was snow white and one was an off white, like a light beige.

Edit to add.

I wish the more expensive GPSrs were offered in bright colors. Yellow, Orange or Red, it would make it a lot easier to find one when you drop it.

My Merigold is black and grey. I found that when I float tested it, it floated upright in the water. So I painted that end bright fluorescent pink. It has helped a lot finding it and has not rubbed off. In fact I think I'll paint my remote control, my car keys and the cat!

(I actually did sit on my cat once. A black cat on black furniture is not a good idea!)

I checked out my local Costco and they are selling this bundle for $250 with a $50 rebate. I think it is listed at $299 with a $50 instant rebate at the register and a $50 mail in rebate. At $200 for the package with a 256 MB SD card, a carry case and the TOPO map software, I can't beat that with my 40% employee discount!