Geocoins ...what Are They?

bogey

Can anyone explain the idea of these Geocoins I see posted? Who makes them? Are they kept or moved on like TB's? Why are they tracked through your personal profile? It seems like they are tracking everything these days. Your profile list can grow ridiculously since each state/country etc. has it's own listing

thanks,

Bogey

Can anyone explain the idea of these Geocoins I see posted?  Who makes them?  Are they kept or moved on like TB's?  Why are they tracked through your personal profile?  It seems like they are tracking everything these days.  Your profile list can grow ridiculously since each state/country etc. has it's own listing

As the others before you have said, yes they can be quite addicting and fun to collect!

USA Geocoins and Moun10Bike coins have been around for a while but when Groundspeak opened up the tracking possibilities, the "market" exploded. Germany and Colorado jumped on pretty quickly and several large regional events got coins as well, all with the 23.gif icon. Moun10Bike was the only one that had his own cool unique icon 22.gif

When we (Maryland) did our coin, we had the option about a separate icon :rolleyes: so we did it. For the money we were spending on coins and tracking, the extra $150 was a bargain! It was fun waiting for the coins to come and when we got the tracking numbers I activated the first one on the list. Still the 23.gif icon, and we were getting antsy! Then a day or so later there was our mdcoin.gif Maryland icon! Didn't take long before someone saw my profile and we sold a good bit of coins. What happened after that is other states (Colorado is the only state that I know of that hasn't got a unique icon for theirs yet, though I imagine it's only a matter of time), events, clubs, etc. got their own icons once they realized it was possible. Others had ordered it as well, from what I heard, we just got lucky. :rolleyes:

Now it is truly about the numbers! The number of icons! :rolleyes: Lots of really great coins coming out, but you have to set your limit, whether it be a budget or a type of coin. I personally stick to states mostly but do have a personal coin in possession and a few others I'm waiting on.

Many are trackable, particularly those with icons. Some are not trackable on geocaching.com, others are trackable on their own sites (Washington State and Texas come to mind). They're meant to travel but not everyone puts theirs out there. I have a bunch of MD coins, several are activated and ready to travel, some are FTF prizes, some are trades. The coins I'm buying and trading for will stay in my possession to be shared with others at events who may not have seen them, and there's many that have little or no chance to be found in a cache.

Have fun, hope that helps.

:lol:

*Disclaimer: This info came from my recollection, which isn't always that good. Actual history may vary from what has been posted here. :rolleyes:

Since this was a serious question I bet you're waiting for a serious answer, huh? The simple answer is that geocoins are either travel bugs or signature items. The majority of coins are bought by cachers and collected, so they never travel (even if they are trackable). Some people do set them out as travel bugs, though. Other people have their own personal coin made up as a sort of signature item, often to be traded for other personal coins. To see who makes them just take a look at this thread.

A lot of people have become addicted with collecting geocoins and have spent a lot of money buying every coin that comes out. Thus all the comments above. :rolleyes: Others are just selectively addicted (thanks for the term, AG :rolleyes:) and only collect certain coins. Hope this answers some of your questions.

thanks to Varsgeld & Robert for your reply. I appreciate the info and the humor of the others as well. I think I'll stay away :rolleyes:

But where does one purchase these coins from? Obviously, many folks are out there selling these things but where do they originate from? In particular, the state coins.

thanks to Varsgeld & Robert for your reply. I appreciate the info and the humor of the others as well. I think I'll stay away :rolleyes:

But where does one purchase these coins from? Obviously, many folks are out there selling these things but where do they originate from? In particular, the state coins.

Oh yeah, you had other questions. My bad!

We had a bunch of people in our forums (on our own site) submit ideas for the coins... what they thought would be good on a coin. After we had all the ideas, some of the cooks left the kitchen and we came up with the final product. Pinned to the top of this forum is this thread that will give you a list of places to get the coins made up. Prices vary based on color, size, metal, etc. Tracking on geocaching.com adds to the cost but it's worth it in the end.. at least to some. :rolleyes:

You could make a couple hundred of your own coins and offer some here, others as trades, or whatever. I haven't taken that step other than to help get our own club's coins off the ground.

Can anyone explain the idea of these Geocoins I see posted?

It's a form of crack made of stamped brass. You don't smoke it, you collect it. It's even more addictive and there's no known cure. Like crack, the only way to cure the addiction is not to get addicted in the first place.

That being said, my personal coin goes on pre-order Monday. You'll want to buy several. :rolleyes:

That being said, my personal coin goes on pre-order Monday. You'll want to buy several. :rolleyes:

These will be really big right? So big that when someone walks into the room with my collection of geocoins they'll see right past the moderately sized 2" New Mexico, Texas Autumn, Vacman, and Moun10Bike V3 geocoins to see yours from across the room and exclaim: "That is one Hugh Jazz Geocoin!".

That being said, my personal coin goes on pre-order Monday.  You'll want to buy several.  :rolleyes:

These will be really big right? So big that when someone walks into the room with my collection of geocoins they'll see right past the moderately sized 2" New Mexico, Texas Autumn, Vacman, and Moun10Bike V3 geocoins to see yours from across the room and exclaim: "That is one Hugh Jazz Geocoin!".

Stop, I think I wet myself. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That being said, my personal coin goes on pre-order Monday.  You'll want to buy several.  :rolleyes:

They will be similar in size to the 23-gallon cooler that he used to have in the woods in Texas. :rolleyes:

I put a bowling pin in that thing!!