Backcountry Navigator 1.0 Available

PocketSierra

BackCountry Navigator 1.0 is now available.

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

This is Pocket PC software for geocaching that uses US Topo Maps and Aerial Photos from TerraServer-USA. Waypoints are displayed on a map, and you can navigate if you have a Pocket PC GPS Receiver.

You can import .loc or .gpx files. With GPX files, you will get the formatted descriptions, clues, and recent logs from this site.

This page explains how it is done:

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/content/view/19/41/

The software has gone through a beta testing period to ensure that it works on a number of Pocket PCs. Work is ongoing on feature requests from geocachers and other users. Any feedback can be given through the above site.

Software offers a 21 day trial period, so you can verify if it works for you.

I'll be using it to hunt down geocaches near Eagle, Idaho this week.

Edited by PocketSierra

To clarify further, the maps used by BackCountry Navigator are the ones shown by TerraServer-USA.com. No additional software is needed to add maps, since they are downloaded free from the internet.

The topo maps are up to 1pixel:4m in scale. There is also 1:16m and 1:64m scales.

The aerial photographs are up to 1:1m in scale. They look pretty nice even at 1:4m, and better at 1:1m if you can afford the space.

The .loc files will import basic waypoint information, while .gpx files will provide the entire description.

I like using the program, but I'm biased since I work on it.

Looks great - currently I use Mapopolis and GPX Sonar. But GPX Sonar is flaky and crashes out a lot losing my notes.

Does Backcountry Navigator allow you to add field notes and export them to GSAK?

I would probably still use Mapopolis since it does street nav, and then just switch to Backcountry when on foot.

Would love to try this out.

But have been waiting almost 2 hours for a confirmation e-mail that would allow me to download.

The front-end to the customer is as important as the software itself. If we can't get to your application, 1 - We can't download it; 2 - it leaves us wondering how good the product can be if the front end doesn't work.