Palm 111e

Dave,

I can sort you out with this - unfortunately not at present because I am away from home on training courses for the next few weeks.

I have the Palm Desktop software disc that came with my Palm IIIxe - this will install the Hotsync software that you need to connect your palm to Outlook (or the Palm Desktop Information Manager).

B

Hopefully someone will post a full reply, but for now from memory:

Download Palm desktop

Ensure your serial(NOT usb) port is enabled in windows

Install Desktop

When the software starts for the first time it will synchronise with the palm, pretty imple, follow the instructions.

You then need Cachemate (google for it) costs a few dollers, well worth it. That comes as a file which you double click. Next time you connect the palm, Palm desktop will install it to the palm.

Then you need to export the cache details from GSAK as a cachemate file and install that in the same way.

From there.... I don't remember! It's been a while.

Sorry for the vagueness, hopefully someone using it at the moment will help further.

For the record the IIIe is the same as the III only you cannot flash to OS to a higher version. Designed to be cheaper than the contemporary models, it had a clear case to appeal to (poor) students. So for 99.9% of purposes the IIIe is a III. I nother words, a standard III series (with Palm OS III) but only 2Mb of memory. Fortunatly, a Palm can do an awful lot with only 2Mb.

One thing I've found is that if you use the latest version of Palm Desktop (4.1.4, which you can download from palm.com), then it only activates the USB syncronisation.

If your Palm 3e is anything like my old palm3, then it's got a serial sync cable/cradle. What you need to do to activate this is right click on the Hotsync logo (blue and red circle with arrows pointing inwards on your system tray, next to the clock) and make sure that "Local serial" is ticked. Then right click again, and choose "setup", go to the "local" tab, and choose the right com port (check which one you plugged it into on the back of your PC), and the speed should be "As fast as possible".

Put the palm in the cradle and push the hotsync button, and it should all work.

Hope this helps, but please feel free to ask for more help.