Apologies To One And All

Following a series of off subject threads, notably Go-Karting and the more recent ‘how many words begin with GEO’, I posted the thread titled ‘Psychoanalysis and Caching’.

This was a complete spoof, for I know nothing about psychoanalysis, let alone the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, but yet the thread received a remarkable amount of replies.

Can I ask that we return this forum to a subject base that is Geocaching, and not some spurious discussion about ‘wishing me luck, I am going to drive around the M25’ etc.etc type thread.

I totally agree. Enough of the..

What type of cacher are you?

What starsign are you?

Where do you live?

What words can you find beginning with A?

What shoe size am I?

What is your favourite cheese?

etc. etc.

And with the expectation of being totally flamed, he's a nice guy n all and he's laid some great caches, but enough of the Simply Paul appreciation society, please?! :o:P

I posted the thread titled ‘Psychoanalysis and Caching’.

This was a complete spoof, for I know nothing about psychoanalysis, let alone the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, but yet the thread received a remarkable amount of replies.

:PNo! Really!

Surely this Forum is big enough to carry the full spectrum of "Geocaching Experiences", whether they are important, trivial, humorous, informative or only loosely connected to Geocaching by the thinnest of bootlaces (or paracord :D )

Not all Forum readers are interested in Pylon Placements/White Jeeps/Daft Travel Bug Ideas/EGNOS/Different Hobbies/Lead Butchering(Can I have a go with my axe? :o )/Congratulations threads/PDAs/TLAs or whatever but as long as folks are contributing then "Variety Rules!" , I say :D

Mrs B

*edited to tie laces tighter

Edited by The Blorenges

The question to hand concerns the increase in spurious threads to this forum. Whether that has anything to do with standards is a moot(e) point. The fact that I am trying to raise standards (and I have a good pedigree there) is purely circumstantial.

Following a series of off subject threads, notably Go-Karting and the more recent ‘how many words begin with GEO’, I posted the thread titled ‘Psychoanalysis and Caching’.

I think this could be perceived as being slightly disrespectful to all of the other contributors to this forum who take a lot of enjoyment in getting involved with whatever the conversations of the day are, amongst a like-minded online community.

why oh why has everyone gotten so serious???

I think some people need reminding that life is about fun, and heck - we hunt plastic boxes in the middle of the woods for fun, but when we can't, we like to have a chat with other like minded people (and Mrs Blorenge with her axe!! :o )

and just chill out.

To me, this Forum provides a) a source of amusement whilst bored at work wishing I was caching, and :P info I might need for caching - I'm happy the way it is..

PS - I don't care if I like daft travel bug ideas!!! :D

Edited by hazel and Phill

I totally agree. Enough of the..

What type of cacher are you?

What starsign are you?

Where do you live?

What words can you find beginning with A?

What shoe size am I?

What is your favourite cheese?

etc. etc.

Yes ,please stop the amusing entertaining threads.

Then I might stop eating breakfast infront of the computor !

Anyone know how to get porridge off the keyboard ?

Apologies for lack of smiley .

Don't know which is the "tongue in cheek "one!

Can I ask that we return this forum to a subject base that is Geocaching, and not some spurious discussion about ‘wishing me luck, I am going to drive around the M25’ etc.etc type thread.

was this not the basis of a game called .... Pimlico; Victoria; Baker Street or some London Underground station?

Pearls before Swine springs to mind.

SP  :D

Edited to add: Does anyone have a list of caches easily reached from the M25? I've had a bright idea :P

funnily enough Paul, I'm literally just creating a bookmark list of caches within 1 mile of the M25! Is that a suitable distance for you, or would you like a bit more/less...

should take about 5 minutes, and I'll post a link here when I'm done!

Dave

edited to add - if you were being sarky, i fell for that hook, line and sinker! :o

Edited by purple_pineapple
funnily enough Paul, I'm literally just creating a bookmark list of caches within 1 mile of the M25! Is that a suitable distance for you, or would you like a bit more/less...

edited to add - if you were being sarky, i fell for that hook, line and sinker! :o

No, I was being quite genuine and would like to see that link when you're ready :P

SP

Its those Herefordhire country airs that are getting to you Peter!

But on HH's point.

Moote's PDA guide has been a bonus (as have others), likewise Lordelph's Greasemonkey scripts.

Dodgedave cache murder mystery and Squirrelling Away threads have been good to follow, but lakeuk's photographs from the Lake District today have been a great highlight.

And the apology was two fold.

Oooooh get them! Who died and made them Pope?!! By the way, how does posting a spurious topic address this (perceived) problem, pray tell? Hey, but don't mind me, I find these bits where somebody gets their handbag out and starts swinging as amusing as the M25 threads, the congratulations threads and the I love/hate SP threads.

:mad:

ps. can we have more threads where somebody's spelling and grammar is singled out as not being up to standard and they are roundly slagged off? I especially enjoy THOSE!

obligatory smilies ---> :P:):D

Talking of such matters... I asked our Committee section for a copy of the "minutes from this weeks meeting" and forgot an apostrophe...

They emailed back and informed me that "until you can get your English Grammar right, we cannot send you copies of the minutes" GREAT!!

Good excuse not to go the next meeting, and I missed the meeting because I was at the Chester Cachers Non Event anyway!!

Talking of such matters... I asked our Committee section for a copy of the "minutes from this weeks meeting" and forgot an apostrophe...

They emailed back and informed me that "until you can get your English Grammar right, we cannot send you copies of the minutes" GREAT!!

Good excuse not to go the next meeting, and I missed the meeting because I was at the Chester Cachers Non Event anyway!!

:)

So where would the apostrophe go then? between week's maybe?

hmm, i'm sure that i listened to a radio 4 programme on the development of grammar some weeks ago, and their conclusion was that the rules(,) are not rules and as long as the sentence cannot(can't???) be misinterpreted then its(it's??)(it is) ok(o.k.)

sorry, you missed your meeting, did you make the one on wed morning?

Lol, Yes, I dragged myself out of my pit and made it into work and dragged a bus load into Chester for the Conference we were off to....

It should have been.... "this week's meeting"

Normally I'm (I am) a sticker for correct grammar, but I was still asleep.

Lol, Yes, I dragged myself out of my pit and made it into work and dragged a bus load into Chester for the Conference we were off to....

It should have been.... "this week's meeting"

Normally I'm (I am) a sticker for correct grammar, but I was still asleep.

You are correct. According to The Apostrophe Protection Society, you should have put "this week's meeting". However, you should also have put the "Chester Cachers' Non Event"

How many Pedant Points do I get? :mad:

Love your avatar!  :mad:

Thank you - art was never a strength.

and this is quite possibly the most abrupt thread-jacking I've seen in a long time!!! About as subtle as a half brick in a sock....

Thank you too. That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me for a while :)