Night Caching

kewfriend

It may not be normal but it's an alternative caching experience!

I've only once gone night caching with Haggis Hunter and Roolku (who make a habit of it), but if you choose the right kind of caches to do, it's great fun. We walked up a hill on a freezing clear cold night and the vista of stars at the top was amazing. We then went into Perth and had an encounter with a police van - some local residents must have reported seeing suspicious goings on around a statue. When we told them that we were geocaching, they just laughed and went away. probably though we were nuts. :)

I much prefer night caching,just completed 39 caches in the Brighton area,most of them found in the dark..36 hours of solid caching.

There are a few reasons why i prefer nite caching.....less traffic,making travel faster and much easier and much less human traffic,something i enjoy greatly.The darkness holds no demons for me and i like to interact with the animals that come out at night.

Well - the last time I went.. I left home at 1.30 am... and got home at 4.30 am... and had to be at wotk at 7.30 am.... WHY? Do the words White Jeep ring any bells? I've been a few times before.. and had a couple of dodgy moments..

I cache alone... and in the midst of Bodmin Moor.. freezing cold.. I went well over my knees in a bog! But I got out (Phewww) found the cache and got the FTF... Later that same night I needed clean boxers when a Owl flew over my head, so close I could feel his wings beating... amazing..

But yep theres something about being out there.. knowing everyone else ( well most sane people) is fast asleep in bed.... A friend asked me if I felt like a naughty boy ? going caching at night..... Umm yep... being naughty and not getting caught, thats pretty much it.

It's good fun.

Done quite a few now many of them on my own.

Nothing like being in the woods in the dark on your own watching the wild beasties.

Get away from the town lights and remember that there are stars in the sky.

Also for that cache that's been eluding you, sometimes it's so easy to find in the dark.

try it that's all i can say :)

Ive worked nights for 17yrs up to now and you still cannot beat the night time for that 'buzz' it gives, it is a totally different world out there.

Of course you would have to pick out a particular cache etc but again, its just a case of common sense.

Just opposite to what you would do in the daytime :)

I reckon Ive done about 15 night/early morning caches in total and everyone has been kool......

Working nights also has its advantages as I get 1st go at new caches before everyone else wakes up, such as this one from yesterday : House at Pooh Corner

As has been said before 'Don't knock it till you've tried it ' ;)

Firstly, I would say 'why not'. Yes, you do miss out on some of the more conventional views, but I have seen the banding of the Milky Way and met a fox the other night (initially just 2 spooky glowing eyes, but then ventured into the torch light). I wouldn't gp night caching all the time, but as something a bit different it should be tried. One word of caution though, I would never do it alone as the risk of injury or, god forbid, running into some of lifes less savoury characters, is much greater.

Here is a log of one The Hancock Clan and I did recently: All for a White Jeep! <_<<_<

I've only tried a couple of night time caches.

I think the rule for me, would be if you can use a torch without looking stupid it's probably a good night cache.

I did one near Marlborough a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw a barn owl and was able to follow it in my torch beam for a minute or so, it was great.

And that was in howling wind and driving rain, I imagine a fine crisp night would be better.

I'd do them again, I think I need an incentive - FTF or in the case of the one above a White Jeep.

LOL! Because there are more hours of nightime that correspond with when I am free for caching at this time of year!!

I don't mind caching at night, I am not scared of the dark. I have always enjoyed going for night time walks (it's amazing how many nocturnal dog walkers there are!).

I hope the log of mine that Kewfriend was reading was the one for 'Claydon Conundrum' which I did last Thursday night? That was magic. It was a very clear moonlit night and for most of the time we didn't need torches. The ground was covered in sparkly frost and my boots made a satisfying crunch crunch as we made our way along to the cache. I think the entire caching experience was enhanced by doing it at night. It was minus 4 degrees, so I wore my (fingerless) gloves - I don't suffer from the cold much! <_<

As always, if I didn't actively ENJOY it, I would not do it! Okay, I didn't enjoy falling over like a prat and getting a monster bruise, but I would have done that in the daylight as I could see the stile perfectly well, just not get over it without slipping! Dur!

(it's amazing how many nocturnal dog walkers there are!).

On the one hand, they may walk their dogs at night becuase they enjoy seeing the spectacular heavens, seeing nocturnal animals, the peace with less traffic around and the solitude, the experience of being one of few people around and the different noises you hear, the slight tension of not knowing if there is a maniac around the next corner, the secret enjoyment of watching the sun rise or the dawn chorus.

Or, they may not want their bitch sh@**£d <_<

And that was in howling wind and driving rain
was minus 4 degrees, so I wore my (fingerless) gloves
met a fox the other night

Barmy enough in daylight ......

As for Alibags - it was another of your night forays I was reading!

So the big question is >>> has anyone ever met another geocacher by chance at a cache at night ???

I'm usually found raiding a cache at dawn

i start work at 7.30 am so the drive into manchester in the dark is usually interspersed with a cache on the way,

(or in the opposite direction sometimes <_<) in the morning,

great time to be out and about, give it a try,

There is nothing to be afraid of at night, your senses are working just that bit harder and gets the heartbeat up a bit as well, though a fox barking close to you doesn't half give you the willies sometimes <_<

Some caches can only got to at night due to Muggles abound.You can find more in this time,........blitz a town full of miros at night....during the day may getonly half of them as you have to be more carefull....also FTF and White Jeeps,Gold and a TB you have been searching for is want makes ya go....try it...you might like it :mad:

We've been caching for almost a year, and clocked up more than 220 in that time... mainly during the daylight hours!!

However... the need to cache is still there, and especially now that the nights are drawing in, I've done probably 5 or 6 in the dark....

Phill and I now intend to go out with Bargee (who we;ve met through caching) and do http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-539e1ef80c33]This night cache[/url] next week.

I don't particularly like night caching, I get disorientated and don't like that!!! :mmraspberry: but Phill does... perhaps I'll let him and Bargee go off next week and 'll prepare the butties and hot tea!!!

Edited by hazel and Phill
We've been caching for almost a year, and clocked up more than 220 in that time... mainly during the daylight hours!!

However... the need to cache is still there, and especially now that the nights are drawing in, I've done probably 5 or 6 in the dark....

Phill and I now intend to go out with Bargee (who we;ve met through caching) and do This night cache next week.

I don't particularly like night caching, I get disorientated and don't like that!!! :) but Phill does... perhaps I'll let him and Bargee go off next week and 'll prepare the butties and hot tea!!!

I don't know if it is just me but although it looks right that link takes me to a Microsoft advert! :ph34r:

I moved from the city (Newcastle) to up here in rural north Northumberland over 10 years ago and something which still blows me away is the view of the night sky, free from light pollution. Being out at night in the countryside is undeniably a great experience - the night sky, the and the nocturnal sounds.

I haven't been night caching but I have been out in the medium-sized hours of the morning a few times, going to somewhere to bag some sunrise photographs. The only problem I've had is that a torch moving across a field in the dead of night can attract attention from someone thinking I'm out poaching.