Jeep Tb Attrition

Rich the Bushwhacker

I've been geocaching for several months with a friend and I've found and still have a WJTB and a GJTB, but not a YJTB. Does anyone out there want to trade a yellow one for a green or white one? I've tried to find them at Wal-Mart, but our local store never has any of them.

I realize your just a sock, but to anyone that really would care. The whites and greens were made by Maisto, and showed up at some wal marts and such. And were apperently just off the rack toys.

The yellows were made by another company, Tyco maybe??, and AFAIK never showed up in stores. I think they may have been some sort of special order production (anyone?), which is why the amnesty was so neat since it had the actual jeeps!

We have a local guy, zwk, that has been holding 2 Green jeeps for about 3 months, and took two others that he didn't log.

He won't answer Emails either. Why these goobers feel they need to steal them from caches is beyond me.

Must be like the billionnaires buying stolen antiquties so only they can enjoy them.

They are only worth $2.00 folks.

Edited by Cruiserdude
They are only worth $2.00 folks.

If that were true, threads like this wouldn't exist.

They're rare. They give your profile page a special icon. Possession of one allows you to bestow that icon upon other people of your choosing. They're a measure of your geomanhood. The relative power and status that go with hoarding them are worth far more than $2.00. That silly social phenomenon is not limited to geocaching.

I'm guilty of holding the one and only white one I've ever found for a month or two. I got lucky and saw it sitting in a nearby cache while visiting relatives across the state. I even did some minor repair to it - I glued the headlight bar down since it was about to fall off.

But I haven't shared its code with anyone, I haven't taken it to any events, and I don't have a caching trophy case at home where it's on display. I don't feel like it's "mine" in any sense.

I know its existence will draw attention to whatever cache it's in, so I've been keeping it until I can get to one where the Jeep will be a good reward for the effort. I did the same thing with the only green Jeep I ever found after hanging onto it for a week or so. But the white Jeep is significantly larger than the green one, which limits the places it can go somewhat.

It's going to go into a cache that will be placed very, very soon (location, container, log book, and cache page are all set ... all I need is for the FTF prize to arrive in the mail).

-eP

I'm currently looking for a yellow jeep so I can take pic of it with my real Yellow TJ. If anyone would like to do a long distance mail/cache. Or some kind of TB trade(to be dropped off after the pic is taken) let me know something.

I currently have a GJTB that I will be holding for a little less then a month, but I will be taking it to Daytona from North AL. Think it would be cool to let it make a 10hour car drive south.

I've been geocaching for several months with a friend and I've found and still have a WJTB and a GJTB, but not a YJTB. Does anyone out there want to trade a yellow one for a green or white one? I've tried to find them at Wal-Mart, but our local store never has any of them.

I realize your just a sock, but to anyone that really would care. The whites and greens were made by Maisto, and showed up at some wal marts and such. And were apperently just off the rack toys.

The yellows were made by another company, Tyco maybe??, and AFAIK never showed up in stores. I think they may have been some sort of special order production (anyone?), which is why the amnesty was so neat since it had the actual jeeps!

Wal-Mart and K-mart had the green Jeeps but I have only seen them in two and five-packs. They also carried the white Jeeps in single packs. The yellow Jeeps were made by Racing Champions which was big into NASCAR diecast toys. I don't know if they were made special for the promotion as I have never seen a Racing Champs diecast Jeep of any type at the stores or at any toy shows.

I recently found the green Jeeps in single packs at a store called Five Below. They're kind of an upscale dollar store. Great place to pick up caching swag.

I'll own up to "hoarding" a yellow Jeep TB. Not exactly hoarding it really. Shortly after finding it it went missing in my house (I assume one of the kids was playing with it). I recently found it while cleaning. Now I just have to remember to put it in my swag box for the next time I'm out.

I hadn't really looked hard for it since the contest was over and assumed it didn't really matter anymore.

So one that's been out of circulation for a long time will soon be back.

Edited by roveron

I've been banished to the nightshift at work and decided to compile another set of numbers.

The dissapearance of Jeeps continues. Only 9% of Yellow, 18% of White and 38% of Green Jeeps remain active. I figure if it hasn't been logged in 90 days, its probably not in the cache it was dropped in, and if its in someone inventory, it's probably going to stay there.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1040

Logged in the Last 30 Days 304 6% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 473 9% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 504

Logged in the last 30 days 537 10% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 905 18% of the number released

Green Jeeps 5999

Never Released 1191

Logged in the last 30 days 1332 22% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 2295 38% of the number released

This person is holding 16 White Jeeps! Jeep Hog

It's pathetic in my book. :D

I just sent GarretJax22 the following message. Maybe everyone do the same.

RELEASE THE JEEPS! They want to see new caches.

Eartha wrote in reply to the Jeep Hog comments: As much as it pains us to see someone holding travel bugs too long, please read the Terms Of Use for the www.geocaching.com site wherein it states:

"You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user. "

And the www.geocaching.com forum guidelines .

Please don't suggest that everyone start harassing someone, no matter how much you want to see the Jeeps back on the road. This could lead to accounts being suspended, or even banned, if it went that far. It's not a good idea.

Since Earhta suggests that we DO NOT contact this jeep hog, begging and pleading to him to release the jeep TBs, can we notify geocaching administrators about this unethical "hogging" practice he has adopted?!? Maybe the adminstrators can send him an email stating something along the lines of, "Release the Jeep TBs or we will be forced to suspend your account!"

This person is holding 16 White Jeeps! Jeep Hog

It's pathetic in my book. :D

I just sent GarretJax22 the following message. Maybe everyone do the same.

RELEASE THE JEEPS! They want to see new caches.

Eartha wrote in reply to the Jeep Hog comments: As much as it pains us to see someone holding travel bugs too long, please read the Terms Of Use for the www.geocaching.com site wherein it states:

"You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user. "

And the www.geocaching.com forum guidelines .

Please don't suggest that everyone start harassing someone, no matter how much you want to see the Jeeps back on the road. This could lead to accounts being suspended, or even banned, if it went that far. It's not a good idea.

Since Earhta suggests that we DO NOT contact this jeep hog, begging and pleading to him to release the jeep TBs, can we notify geocaching administrators about this unethical "hogging" practice he has adopted?!? Maybe the adminstrators can send him an email stating something along the lines of, "Release the Jeep TBs or we will be forced to suspend your account!"

The person in question isn't holding any jeeps.

Confession: I have been holding a White Jeep for five months. I had expected to place a new cache early in the year and was going to seed it with the WJTB. As sometimes happens, life interfered and my new cache has not been placed.

While I subscribe to the Jeeps are TBs philosophy I also realize that I never would have held someone's TB for five months while I waited to place my cache.

It'll get out there soon. I just felt the need to offer up a penance post.

While I subscribe to the Jeeps are TBs philosophy I also realize that I never would have held someone's TB for five months while I waited to place my cache.

Why, because it's a corporate TB and you couldn't possibly be harming the psyche of some poor child waiting for their TB to be moved? :P

:)

Edited by BlueDeuce

While its the goal of every travel bug to move along as often as possible to as many places as possible. We have had our share of TB's "disappear" or go missing.

The Jeep TB's are not owned by one individual but as a promotional item by the Jeep people (ultimately Daimler Chrysler Cerberus) to enter the contest though they probably hope you will go to a dealership and buy a Jeep instead.

Are the Jeep TBs more important or hold a higher priority in the TB hierachy because a company distributes them and a prize may be given out?

Or are Jeep TBs less important than the special novelty item that an individual geocacher (or child of a geocacher) creates and expends at least a minimal amount of mental and emotional effort to send out on an interesting journey or goal?

Are the Jeep TBs more important or hold a higher priority in the TB hierachy because a company distributes them and a prize may be given out?

Or are Jeep TBs less important than the special novelty item that an individual geocacher (or child of a geocacher) creates and expends at least a minimal amount of mental and emotional effort to send out on an interesting journey or goal?

Any Travel Bug you didn't release should be considered not your property

It doesn't matter where it came from.

You didn't release it, you don't get to decide its worth.

Of course some people figure that since it's a big corp who sends out thousands of bug, that company couldn't care less if they are held forever. I say some people need little excuse to keep a toy some corporation issued and would still take offense when I question their integrity.

Well, I do give a TB some value/worth when I possess them as I decide where and when to place them. Do I value it enough to really move it along far or do I just drop it at the next cache.

When I possess them and I know I cannot accommodate the goal, I will let the owner know and give them options on how I should handle it. Most individual geocachers are really flexible. So I do value them

Im stuck here working on Saturday, so I decided to come up with some new numbers. Many Jeeps have dissapeared, but the number active has increased slightly since my last posting in early summer.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1010

Logged in the Last 30 Days 304 7% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 501 12% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 480

Logged in the last 30 days 582 13% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 970 22% of the number released

Green Jeeps 5999

Never Released 1095

Logged in the last 30 days 1322 27% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 2220 45% of the number released

We are holding about ten TB's. We are going to Australia at month end and are taking them with us. We have emailed the owners of the TB's that are non jeeps to ask for permission to take them. We have held a few for some time. A few owners have said yes-take them, the others have not responded. In my mind, no response means they dont care.

Of the ten TB's six are jeeps. Five green jeeps and a red one. We are taking those Green ones with us and some we have held for a while. Neither Mr. Chrysler, Mr. Daimler or anyone on the jeeps watch lists have made a plea to us to release these jeeps before we leave. Some of them have held since the early spring.

The Red Jeep we are holding, we will release locally before leaving. I believe the contest is local (the US and Canada).

Does this lament about jeeps also apply to the Diabetes TB too? Is the fact its not some cute little car or novelty illicit less emotional outcry?

We are temporary TB hoarders but our intentions are good and we sleep well at night.

Edited by brodiebunch

Speaking of Jeep TB's, I just released one: Yellow Jeep 4x4 #1598 . But I forgot to get the friggen number! How do I get the number so I can put this Jeep back into circulation? I have read the faq about sending an email to the owner, and I did, but I'm guessing there will not be a reply in the case of the Jeeps. If one of the previous cachers has the number I'd love to add it to the cache where I dropped it.

Edited by GPS_Runner

Speaking of Jeep TB's, I just released one: Yellow Jeep 4x4 #1598 . But I forgot to get the friggen number! How do I get the number so I can put this Jeep back into circulation? I have read the faq about sending an email to the owner, and I did, but I'm guessing there will not be a reply in the case of the Jeeps. If one of the previous cachers has the number I'd love to add it to the cache where I dropped it.

Erm, you don't need the number to drop a tb, only to pick on up.

Just add a note to the cache you dropped it in and click on the jeep in the list at the bottom of the write note page.

[edit]Just noticed you didn't pick it up in the first place. Just wait 'till the next person grabs it off you or post a note on the cache page to remind them to do it.[/edit]

Simon

Edited by SimonC_Here

I was pleasantly surprised to find a WJTB in a cache last weekend. And, yes, it will be moving along soon.

Before the GJTB was released, I went to a toy store and bought a black jeep and a green jeep. I released the black jeep as a bit of a geojoke (2006 Black Jeep Travel Bug). It dissappeared in about a month. Funny thing was the green jeep I found was identical to the one released in the contest. I really could have had a jump on things. It is now bouncing from cache to cache and doing a bit better than the black one. (Pauls Green Jeep Travel Bug)

Edited by tokencollector

I've decided to check up on recent Jeep activity. Numbers are down, probably on account of the snowy winter in most parts of the US.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1000

Logged in the Last 30 Days 200 5% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 355 9% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 469

Logged in the last 30 days 362 12% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 620 14% of the number released

Green Jeeps 5999

Never Released 1049

Logged in the last 30 days 830 17% of the number released

Red Jeeps 8000

Never Released 1642

Logged in the last 30 days 1892 30% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 3463 55% of the number released

I have a YJTB that I picked up in a cache last week. I have dropped it in an upcoming event where I will release it. The last one I found and then put in a cache disappeared.

The one I have now is a sad looking little thing. Its rollbar is crushed, and it has a rubberband holding its windshield on.

...and it's still going! Prime candidate for some photos!

I try to keep the ones I have had moving...for a while there I was actually stuck with a yellow, white, green and red... :D

I took them to events to get moved on...especially for newer cachers that may have never seen any of those TB's and yet they were never grabbed...I dropped them in a couple different caches and they just didn't move...

I finally "freed" myself of those TB's at a Wisconsin Event!!!

I've decided to check up on recent Jeep activity. Numbers are down, probably on account of the snowy winter in most parts of the US.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1000

Is there any way to get the statistics on how many are missing (location Unknown)?

I am curious to know how many get stolen.

I'm stuck working a boring Saturday, so I compiled a new set of numbers for the Jeep Travel Bugs. The number still on the move continues to decline.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1000

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 469

Logged in the last 30 days 362 12% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 620 14% of the number released

Green Jeeps 5999

Never Released 1049

Logged in the last 30 days 830 17% of the number released