Jeep Tb Attrition

Rich the Bushwhacker

I ran some numbers last night and found that nearly 2/3 of the Yellow jeeps are out of circulation (defined as more than 90 days with no activity).

The White jeeps are doing a bit better, with 1/3 out of circulation, but they've only been out five months.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

Logged in the Last 30 Days 513 13% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 892 36% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 607

Logged in the last 30 days 1691 38% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 2958 67% of the number released

We've got a yellow jeep in stock.

I have a trading policy for yellow jeeps. I hold the one I have until another one comes across our cache path. That way the next visitor to the cache still gets a jeep and we get a new one.

I just made a trade last week but prior to that it had been almost one year since the last jeep came to our area. Wonder how long I will be holding the one currently in our posession.

I have a trading policy for yellow jeeps.  I hold the one I have until another one comes across our cache path. ...

I just made a trade last week but prior to that it had been almost one year since the last jeep came to our area. 

As stated here:

Geocaching - Travel Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?

Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know.

I understand the email part might not apply,

but I am sure that when Jeep released those Travel Bugs,

they intended them to move about every other week,

with the additional benefit of a contest for GeoCachers

from the United States of America.

I have a trading policy for yellow jeeps. I hold the one I have until another one comes across our cache path. That way the next visitor to the cache still gets a jeep and we get a new one.

I just made a trade last week but prior to that it had been almost one year since the last jeep came to our area. Wonder how long I will be holding the one currently in our posession.

Saying that you have a yellow jeep "in stock". Is just like saying "I have some stolen property in stock".

The jeeps are TRAVEL BUGS. Not for you to keep and only release when you get a new one. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you always keep one, this limits the number that other cachers can see.

Do the right thing and let it go.

2/9 Update - The number of active Jeeps drops lower. 4 of 5 Yellow Jeeps and 1 of 2 White Jeeps haven't been active in the past 90 days.

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

Logged in the Last 30 Days 446 11% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 769 20% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 607

Logged in the last 30 days 1191 27% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 21535 48% of the number released

I ran some numbers on all TB's. From the TB search page, I clicked find on a blank name for owner and found:

139,744 Activated Travel Bugs and Coins

46,120 Have a log within the last month, 33% of the total.

Gathering the stats was tedious as TB's only get displayed 20 at a time. I didn't have time to check how many of the active bugs have never been dropped, or how many are marked missing. By the time I gathered my counts, the number of bugs activated increased by 6.

At the end of the day, i picked up a normal TB about 2 months ago but as i have not cached anywhere more than 5 miles from the origional location i dont see the point of placing it.

May not be the right thing to do but, i feel distance is more important than time.

If I was the owner, I'd be asking you to drop the TB off. While it is sitting in your possesion, nobody else has a chance to pick it up and move it. And out of town cacher could have visited your area, and taken that TB with him, if it was in a cache.

Too long. It's mighty selfish of you to assume you should be in possession of one at all times.

I am not much of a travel bug nut... just like to find caches, but today I found a yellow jeep.. or at least I think it is what is being discussed in this thread. A small "matchbox" sized yellow jeep with a 5 digit number under the drivers side running board. Would love to log it, but how? The TB page claims it doesn't exist. Is it possible one of the "never released" ones described here? If so should I claim it as mine and start it on it's way.. or just pass it on as another toy??

PS... realized I can't log it on as mine... it doesn't recognize it at all.. so I guess it is just a yellow jeep trade trinket heading out to confuse someone else :lol:

Edited by edscott

Why is it that people think YJTB are different than other TBs? When I find a TB, I add it to my watch list to see where it goes. I had one YJTB I dropped off and the next person that grabbed it turned it into a personal TB and started dipping it in caches and not releasing it. Oh well. <_<

Well, I'm a newbie, but seems to me the YJTB's are different. They were released by Jeep as part of a contest in 2004. The contest is over. Do we think someone at Jeep is sitting home watching them all move yet? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why is it that people think YJTB are different than other TBs? When I find a TB, I add it to my watch list to see where it goes. I had one YJTB I dropped off and the next person that grabbed it turned it into a personal TB and started dipping it in caches and not releasing it. Oh well. <_<

Well, I'm a newbie, but seems to me the YJTB's are different. They were released by Jeep as part of a contest in 2004. The contest is over. Do we think someone at Jeep is sitting home watching them all move yet? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you read the goal any yellow Jeep, you'll notice it says this:

"Move me to another cache so I can meet another geocacher."

Not "Keep me."

So if I find a Tb thats owner hasn't logged in the last couple months Its free game for a me to steal?

They were released with the plan to travel, and thats would they should be doing. If they wanted them kept it was a waste of time and money to get tags for them. How well someone is keeping tabs on them should NOT matter. Maybe I should go see if there are some unlocked cars in the walmart parking lot? <_<

Part of the problem is that jeeps seem to be collectibles, like trackable geocoins. Items that were meant to travel often are taken without being logged, never to reappear. In the jeeps' case, many disappeared during the contest period, most likely ending up on a unethical cacher's personal trophy shelf. Honestly, the real value of these trackables lies in seeing where they go, and when they disappear, that stops cold.

Maybe jeep isn't watching the individual bugs, but I was. That is, until the four yellow and two white jeeps that briefly crossed my path were 'collected'...

I personally started 9 of the White Jeeps in the world. I know one that is lost in a rock yard called Devil's Marbleyard because the cache was destroyed. I think the other 8 are safe and still traveling. As for my personal TB's I stopped buying and putting them out because I think over half of mine went missing. That is highly annoying. I pick up bugs, and try to help them travel as much as I can while I have them. If they have a goal, I try to help it out.

Bottom line, any item that is or has been deemed a TB is just that, a travel bug! The nature of TB's is to TRAVEL!!!!! If the TB no longer has a mission or goal, send the owner a message asking about a new goal. If there is none or no reply in a reasonable time, give it a short term goal and PUT IT BACK OUT THERE!!! Isn't that what geocaching is all about?!?!?!

As much as it pains us to see someone holding travel bugs too long, please read the Terms Of Use for the www.geocaching.com site wherein it states:

"You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user. "

And the www.geocaching.com forum guidelines .

Please don't suggest that everyone start harassing someone, no matter how much you want to see the Jeeps back on the road. This could lead to accounts being suspended, or even banned, if it went that far. It's not a good idea.

think about it. Yellow jeeps have been out a year longer than the whites. if you had stats from a year ago for the yellows it would be more accurate. and its not always the geocacher's fault jeeps go missing.

well maybe, but this this a big factor:

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 525

think about it. Yellow jeeps have been out a year longer than the whites. if you had stats from a year ago for the yellows it would be more accurate. and its not always the geocacher's fault jeeps go missing.

well maybe, but this this a big factor:

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 525

How do you know that the first person to get them didnt log them?

6/25 Update

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

Logged in the Last 30 Days 370 9% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 678 17% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 525

Logged in the last 30 days 905 20% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 1570 35% of the number released

Thanks for figuring this out, very interestting to look at.

However, I think you might change 'never released' to 'never logged'. Its not like Groundspeak has a thousand yellow jeeps sitting around....

Also, you might note your percentages use the number that were ever 'logged', not the total number :rolleyes: .

The contest is over, however the Jeeps continue to advertise for Jeep as long as they continue to circulate, and advertising is why Jeep released them to begin with.

I just wish I could find a white Jeep to buy, I keep finding Jeeps but none that are identical to the TB's. :laughing:

Check here. I do believe that is the exact toy used for the 2005 contest .... and for less than the cost of a travel bug tag

http://www.gear.jeep.com/item.asp?category...tegorylevel1id=

6/25 Update

Yellow Jeeps 5001

Never Released 1061

Logged in the Last 30 Days 370 9% of the Number released

Logged in the Last 90 days 678 17% of the number released

White Jeeps 5000

Never Released 525

Logged in the last 30 days 905 20% of the number released

Logged in the last 90 days 1570 35% of the number released

Thanks for figuring this out, very interestting to look at.

However, I think you might change 'never released' to 'never logged'. Its not like Groundspeak has a thousand yellow jeeps sitting around....

Also, you might note your percentages use the number that were ever 'logged', not the total number :laughing: .

Another thing that would be highly relevant is the number of Jeeps that were logged in conjunction with an event as opposed to being found in a real cache. I bet that 2/3rd's of the logs were from events and that the Jeeps weren't out in physical caches to be found. Probably a bunch of the ones that were logged were circulated at Geowoodstock.

As much as it pains us to see someone holding travel bugs too long, please read the Terms Of Use for the www.geocaching.com site wherein it states:

"You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

Please don't suggest that everyone start harassing someone, no matter how much you want to see the Jeeps back on the road. This could lead to accounts being suspended, or even banned, if it went that far. It's not a good idea.

I dont see how asking some one to release 16 Jeep TB's would be considered "Stalking, harassing or harming" them. If it was a "Release the jeeps or I'll come hunt you down you worthless scum!" That would be different. Or how about since we are pushing the rules so much, why does Groundspeak not send them an email informing them of the proper use of a Travel Bug? If we must enforce the rules it must be applied to everyone.

I dont see how asking some one to release 16 Jeep TB's would be considered "Stalking, harassing or harming" them. If it was a "Release the jeeps or I'll come hunt you down you worthless scum!" That would be different. Or how about since we are pushing the rules so much, why does Groundspeak not send them an email informing them of the proper use of a Travel Bug? If we must enforce the rules it must be applied to everyone.

This person is holding 16 White Jeeps! Jeep Hog

It's pathetic in my book. :P

I just sent GarretJax22 the following message. Maybe everyone do the same.

RELEASE THE JEEPS! They want to see new caches.

"Maybe everyone do the same." was what the harassment warning was for.

Bombarding one cacher with emails is a no-no.

Edited to include full quote.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Just wanted to share a great story about 2 Jeep TB (1 white, 1 yellow) I sucessfully got back in circulation. On ocassion I check on the TB that I move along. I checked on them last evening and found that someone was holding (since April) a Jeep TB I moved. I saw a Jeep on their profile and looked to see how many other ones they were hoarding. I saw they had one of each color in their possession for a long time. I also noted that they had the Geocacher's Creed linked from their profile. I sent and email kindly asking them to remove the Geocacher's Creed or drop the TB since one of the Ideals to Protect Integrity was "Don’t collect traveling items meant to stay in the game. This is tantamount to stealing". I received and email through geocaching.com stating:

"Hey thanks for the heads up. You are so awesome! I dropped the TB's for you and

updated my homepage... you should check it out."

I know this is a family website but if interested check out the homepage for this profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ea...07-4a1ac4af5e6c

WARNING WARNING WARNING - YOU MAY GET OFFENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least there are now 2 more Jeeps to try and pick up. That is if they were actually put into the cache.

andGuest

"Don’t collect traveling items meant to stay in the game. This is tantamount to stealing"

Does the Creed say that ? <_<

My own reaction is simple, whenever I see that geocachers moniker attached to a log or a cache I will view it with great distaste. Players who take and keep the jeeps are the same people who take and keep geocoins, they detract from the game and they destroy the trust of the geocaching community, they seem incapable of comprehending simple theft.

If you see a jeep TB being held captive by someone you are looking at a person who really thinks they have the right to deprive every other geocacher in the world of the opportunity to log that item as the owner intended, they are simply self centered geothieves.

There are many simpletons who think that keeping a jeep TB bestows some glamour, the only thing it bestows is a black mark on their character that every other geocacher in the world can see. These geothiefs should be ashamed to display a link to the Geocacher's Creed.

When you see a jeep TB that is being held captive and the geothief is displaying it at an event, display your scorn. Make sure to request that the jeep geothiefs let the jeeps go.

If everyone goes and looks at the profile you have linked they will see that these jeeps may not be back in play, as distasteful as it seems it appears that they have been kept. I didn't see a link to the Creed though, maybe they have stopped paying lip service to something they do not practice.

At least there are now 2 more Jeeps to try and pick up. That is if they were actually put into the cache.

andGuest

Looks like they were put in a cache called the Isle of the Dead - Australian Travel Bug Graveyard in Tasmania. <_<

Edited by Vertigoat
"Don’t collect traveling items meant to stay in the game. This is tantamount to stealing"

Sorta, but I think it uses different wording. geocreed.info

...Be Considerate of Others

If you place a traveling item into the game, attach a tag that describes its goal, so that others can help it along. If you pick up a traveling item with a tag describing its goal, move the item toward its goal if possible. Contact the owner if you hold a traveling item for more than a couple of weeks or so.

If you place a traveling item into the game, attach a tag that describes its goal, so that others can help it along. If you pick up a traveling item with a tag describing its goal, move the item toward its goal if possible. Contact the owner if you hold a traveling item for more than a couple of weeks or so.

Look farther down, it says it verbatim.

it says it verbatim
Imagine that! <_<

I have added notes to both of the jeeps placed into the graveyard.

I wonder if Homer knows he is being discussed in this forum ?

People often underestimate the intelligence of the geocaching community, I never do.

Some actually think a few clicks is all that they need to do to protect their "good name".

These are jeeps that have been taken and kept against the owner's wishes. Dumping them in the graveyard is the 3d equivalent of dousing them with gasoline and torching them just because.

I also consider the dumping of the jeeps a clear admission of understanding. There is apparently nothing wrong with the intellligence trying to cover up the activity, see, geocachers do catch on.

When you see a jeep TB being displayed at an event and you know that it has been taken and is being held captive against the owner's wishes, display your scorn. Make sure to request that the jeep geothiefs let the jeeps go. :unsure:

Does the Creed say that ? :rolleyes:

Look farther down, it says it verbatim.

:unsure: your right, I missed it. I blam it on being in the 'Integrity of the Game Pieces' section :unsure: